Does THR-22 do upscaling?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by spiffy, Feb 6, 2012.

1. spiffy

spiffy New Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Hi everyone,

I am completely new to HD (still using SAT-T60), so I am not familiar with how these new hardware work. Can anyone shed some light on if the THR-22 does upscaling for the SD signals? I am trying to figure out if I need to purchase an upscaling receiver in order to get everything I see on screen to be as close to HD as possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    What is your display? That would be my first choice for upscaling. If you are using a computer monitor then you can set the resolution of your choice in the THR22-100.

3. spiffy

spiffy New Member

Oct 23, 2002
    It's a 1080P Sammie LCD (P2770HD) that I am borrowing to experiment with the setup, but I don't believe it has any built-in upscaler; because right now I've attached the SAT-T60 to it, and picture quality is not good to say the least. I will be getting a much larger screen eventually; but I'd like to get a confirmation of THR22's capabilities so I can decide on the configurations.

4. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    No, the THR-22 does not do any form of upscaling.

5. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    All 1080p displays scale any source to 1080p. I don't know anything about that particular display and it might not do a good job. As far as the THR-22, no experience but I would be very surprised if it doesn't upscale to its maximum resolution output and if it does, it may or may not do a better job than the display.

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I would have to assume that the THR22 does what the HR22 does, and look at the set of resolutions your TV supports (specified in the settings) and upscale where needed. You might choose to let the TV do the upscaling if you think it does a better job.

7. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    Your T60 only has Composite and S-Video outs so its not going to look good on a modern HDTV, using HDMI will be a big improvement. Every HD Tivo and HR2x has upscaling, you can select a specific resolution you want output or use Native which passes it through and lets your TV deal with it

8. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    I always choose "native" resolution on the Tivo and let the TV do any upscaling. You usually get the best picture if none of your hardware tries to "improve" it. So if you set the Tivo and set the TV to display at native resolution you'll get a better picture IMHO. I do use the TV's zoom or display function to view letterboxed 4x3 stuff that occasionally pops up.

9. tgibbs

tgibbs New Member

Sep 22, 2002
    According to the "About Video Output Formats" screen, THR-22 will scale to any resolution up to 1080i. It will not scale up to 1080p, although it has the option to pass through native 1080p, 24fps content at that resolution