Does this sound suspicious??

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by RedRider, Aug 10, 2007.

1. RedRider

RedRider New Member

Nov 20, 2006

Advertisements

I just had a salesman come to my door asking me about my DTV service. He represented a local authorized retailer of Dish AND DirecTv. Basically, he was trying to get me to switch to Dish. We talked about it and the fact is I would only be saving $10 a month. When I told him that I am still under an agreement with DirecTv he said that is not a problem. He said that since this company sells BOTH dish and DTV they can get me out of the agreement!! (I personally find that hard to believe!) Has anyone gone through this before?

Even if I was not under any obligation with DTV, is DISH any better? I only subscribe to the SD channels. I currently pay $60 a month and have a zippered Tivo unit with DTV. If I switch to Dish what kind of receiver are they going to give me?

I know DBS talk has a forum for Dish users but just wanted to post this to get any feedback from former Dish users.

Thanks for any advice.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Don't believe it.

3. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Never heard of any Salesman for both Sat Companies. It would be a conflict of interest.

You either represent one or the Other, but not both.

4. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    It's worth an extra $10 to me to have a zippered DTivo unit instead of some unreliable generic DVR with zero features.

5. beartrap

beartrap Member

Nov 8, 2005

Advertisements

Right, just like retailers aren't allowed to sell both Coke and Pepsi.

6. RedRider

RedRider New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Thanks for the replies.

Do you think I should let DTV know about this? I mean the salesman said they sell both services and I remember looking at his clipboard and seeing DTV logos and such.

Apart from all of this, saving $10 doesnt mean crap to me. Just think, changing companies, changing PVR's, that does not interest me at all..

7. or270

or270 New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Modoc...
  8. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    I see lots of local business selling either Dish or DirecTV. I don't think it takes much to become a sales rep for either company so it shouldn't bee too difficult for someone to become a rep for both outfits.

9. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    In the Sales Reps documents, when they first sign up there is a little section that states something along the lines of "A Confidentality Agreement"

It clearly states that while an employee be they paid, commission only, a contractor etc that you will not be employed by a competing Company. Many Companies have this little agreement.

Retail Outlets are a little different.

As for saving $10.00 a Month, big deal. The hassles of getting everything set up, new PVR's etc just isnt worth it. Also, I do not know the OP's setup, but if you have any Directv/Tivo's Dish has nothing that compares to them.

Another thing, if you have an agreement with Directv, there is NO WAY they could get you out of the agreement. All the Rep is doing is selling you a Service. You have a Service agreement in place with Directv, and they are not going to drop it just because a Sales Rep tells them to...... They are loosing business to another Company.

10. leftstrat

leftstrat New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Sounds a bit fishy, but retailers can sell both. We have a place down the road here that sells both DTV and DISH. I don't think that they can legally do anything but get you set up with your choice of provider. That would be a conflict of intrest, and they'd be shooting themselves in the foot, I would think, if one company found out he was shilling for the other company.

11. RedRider

RedRider New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    This is what I really wanted to hear. I mean I think you picked up on the major question and that is how can this rep promise to get me out of my DTV contract? That never really set with me-among other things.

As far as my set up... it is the most basic of all setups.. one tv with a DTIVO unit.. a Samsung 4040r zippered with a 120 gig hd. No HD going on here I am happy with my simple setup.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for their replies!

12. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    See you have a Directv/Tivo Unit. Dish network has nothing that compares to them. It would be like upgrading your current unit to say an R15 from Directv. They do the basics, but you would miss the Tivo interface :D