Does This Sound Right?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wyatt9696, Jan 25, 2006.

1. wyatt9696

wyatt9696 New Member

Jan 1, 2003
    WallyWorld, CT
    i had an h20 installed today to go with my standard dvr(r10) i was suppossed to get an off air antenna as part of the install. the tech had a ton of them on his truck. he took out his compass or sat finder thingy, and told me i probably would only be able to receive 1 off air local. he told me to go on antenneweb.org and look at the mileage from each station(or tower) he then told be if it's more than 15 miles, i would not get the signal. he then told me, that he'd recommend not putting up the antenna, thus putting 4 more holes in my roof, when in 2 months or so(april 06)i should be getting the locals through the sat, and that they would have to come back put up the new 5lnb dish, which would put 4-6 more holes in my roof. the guy seemed like he was really trying to look at it from my point of view, and would want to set me up with this monster antenna, and only get 1 or 2 stations. he said he'd put it up, but i wouldn't be happy with the result. so i told him not to put it up, and i'd wait to get my hd locals throught the sat.

does this sound legit, and was this tech just trying to help me out, or did i get a huge hose job from a guy that just didn't feel like working? any input is appreciated. thanks all.

2. n6idf

n6idf New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Sounds like a lazy tech to me...

3. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Bad lazy installer. If you can receive the OTA digital signal it will look better than the DTV signal. DTV will be recompressing the signal and loosing quality. All of my OTA signals are about 30 miles away and they all come in perfectly. Call DirecTV and report the installer.

4. Rax

Rax New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    In a box.
    Lazy installer. They can make recommendations but the final decision is up to you.