Does the UI enhancements make you want to upgrade?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by HoOn, Mar 19, 2010.

1. HoOn

HoOn New Member

Dec 13, 2009

Advertisements

I bought my TiVo HD XL just 3 months ago and love it but sometimes there are things that I missed on my Cables DVR. Like the ability to watch TV in the background while doing some searches or just playing around with the DVR. The cable DVR has been doing that for many years now and I was disappointed that my HD XL didn't have it... until now.

When Premier was announced I loved the fact that you can now watch TV in the background while doing some TiVo searching. I'm seriously thinking of selling my TiVo HD XL with Lifetime so that I could get the Premier and opt for the $200 Lifetime deal.

Does anyone feel the same way I do?

- JOhn

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Some may since TiVo added it. Personally for me it will be the first thing I turn off. I don't watch live tv so having a screen showing what is currently being recorded only spoils the show for later viewing.

It all boils down to how you use a TiVo/DVR imho. I have pretty much always used TiVo so I count on it to always record so I never used it for live tv. Most people I know who started with cable DVRs use it the opposite way where they record little and mainly use it to control live tv. Some of this is obviously personal preference but I also think this has to do with how unreliable early cable DVRs were. As a result they miss things like the picture in guide.

3. mathwhiz

mathwhiz Member

May 28, 2000
    Okemos, MI, USA
    I have no desire to upgrade for the UI enhancements. Most of the new features I would never use and to me the new UI is just more clutter on the screen. I do want an HD interface, but I wanted more information on the screen displayed, not the same amount or less with a lot of clutter around it. I could imagine myself turning it off if I ever get a newer TiVo.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes. I plan on replacing my current six lifetime units with six Premieres with lifetime

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida

Advertisements

Are you doing it primarily for the new UI or for the faster hardware and MRV? The new UI interests me but I guess since I am not on a HD set yet since I am waiting for the new Panasonic Plasmas this summer it isn't a motivating factor.

6. TrueTurbo

TrueTurbo New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    The new HD UI is the primary reason I'm upgrading from my TiVo HD to a Premiere XL. I also like the updated hardware but the UI is what sold it for me. :D

7. Dreamin

Dreamin New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Yes, primary reason I upgraded: HD UI.

8. HoOn

HoOn New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I guess it really depends on your needs. :) IO'll have to check out how much it's worth selling my HD XL + lifetime and see if it's not that bad to upgrade. :)

9. monkeydust

monkeydust Member

Dec 12, 2004
    This.

I was hoping HD Tivo UI would mean smaller text and much more on screen to minimize scrolling. I don't want all that crap on there. I just want more facts and less fluff.

10. TrueTurbo

TrueTurbo New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    And that's what you get with the HD UI. There IS a lot more info on each screen. The new UI displays on 1 screen what the classic UI displayed on multiple screens.

11. monkeydust

monkeydust Member

Dec 12, 2004
    I've only seen pictures of the new UI. Where's the classic UI viewed on the Premiere? I can't find any screen captures.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I doing it mainly because TiVo is giving current owners a great deal. I get a discount on the Lifetime of new units, can keep or sell my old units, and can also get a 3 year warranty. So the net cost is minimal to get a new box. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy with my S3 and TiVoHD units and I would only be buying one or possibly two of the new units without the discounts for existing customers.

13. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    You switch between the new UI and Classic under Messages & Settings -> Restart or Reset system -> Choose HD or Classic menus.

The classic UI looks and functions like the current interface, albeit with additional options and usability enhancements noted in the FAQ.

14. monkeydust

monkeydust Member

Dec 12, 2004
    I looked in the FAQ and didn't see anything for usability enhancements for the classic UI. All I really care about is a smaller, sharper font so I can see more on the screen at once. I have a 70" TV and the current font is unnecessarily large.

15. slude

slude Member

Feb 9, 2008
    In the screenshots I've seen posted, it appears that there is a lot more ancillary info on each screen (e.g. promotional graphic for the series, links to other stuff the actors, director, etc. are involved in and so forth) but it didn't appear that the screens show any more of the core info per-screen. E.g. the screen for what used to be Now Playing did not appear to show more shows per-screen or show more characters within each show's title. In short, it looked like TiVo took the existing non-HD screens and just wrapped new content around them. If you wanted IMDB on your TV, that's great; if you wanted a UI that used the space of HD to reduce navigation requirements then you seem to be SOL.

Can you identify an example of this (preferably with links to the published screen shots)?

16. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Unfortunately, I don't have a link at the moment, but there was definitely a video demo I saw where they specifically illustrate how the new HDUI is designed to show more information at once.

17. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Really no. TiVo (at least my Series 2) has reached the point it is just a utility device for me, just recording TV and providing it for viewing anytime. Being I have only satellite and analog broadcast, a Series 3/4 is of no benefit to me.

Not to say I am not intrigued and would not get a Series 4 otherwise.

18. Lenonn

Lenonn Active Member TCF Club

May 30, 2004
    Do the enhancements make me want to upgrade? Yes.

Will I upgrade? No. Two TiVo HD's, a Series 3 and a Series 2 are enough. There's not enough of a difference between the old models and the new one to justify this.

19. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Here are some examples from betanews.com screen shots.

Here's the new TiVo Central. Notice that in this example, when you've chosen "Find TV, etc..." you now have the option to navigate to the next menu to the right instead of having to go to a new screen.

[​IMG]

Here's an example from "My Shows". Some of the information about the program is now available on screen instead of having to select the show. There's also quite a bit more room there for show titles, at least to my eye.

[​IMG]

Here's a link to a demo by TiVoPony on the betanews site where you can see some of this in action.
    http://www.betanews.com/article/Exclusive-Video-Indepth-with-TiVos-new-Premiere-interface/1267653389

20. drewba

drewba New Member

Nov 25, 2000
    Renton, WA
    I'm just not a fan of how busy the home page is. I'm glad that the 'picture in list/guide' can be turned off, but I really wish that whole top banner could be turned off. I'd much rather have the extra real estate to display more shows in My Shows.

The integration of Netflix, upcoming shows and Amazon VOD is nice though.