Does the transfer file function for TiVo work

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tlmckesson, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Feb 1, 2021 #1 of 19
    tlmckesson

tlmckesson New Member

May 5, 2015
    San Diego

Advertisements

I have a Roamio that I’m pretty sure is about to die and I’m also pretty sure I’m going to purchase a new TiVo (even though I’m not sure how much longer they’re gonna be in business).
    I have recorded shows I’d like to be able to transfer from TiVo to a hard drive then to the new TiVo. Is that possible?

2. Feb 1, 2021 #2 of 19
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can transfer to your computer (See KMTTG, as one of programs). You may not need another tivo box, just a new hard drive. You can then transfer the shows back to the Tivo to watch (not the best device for long term storage). Be aware, if the Tivo is running v21 (TE4, New Experience), you cannot transfer from the computer. Its best to be on v20 (TE3).

The recommended drive is WD Red Plus (Models ending in EFRX) up to 3TB, without a need for a computer. Larger than that, you will need a computer for the larger space (and windows).

3. Feb 1, 2021 #3 of 19
    gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    You'll have to get another Roamio to do this. Bolts don't allow transfers anymore. For software, I still use Tivo Desktop. Easy to use and doesn't glitch.

tlmckesson likes this.
  4. Feb 1, 2021 #4 of 19
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    If your post is in response to the OP - I believe... (I phrase it this way because I'm only 90% sure).

If you get a unit that you can downgrade to TE3, you can still transfer in the way you're used to.
    If you get a unit on TE4, you can still initiate transfers via Tivo Online, telling it to copy from the Roamio to the new unit. ie, the functionality is still there, simply the UI to initiate a pull is gone.

If your post was simply in response to the suggestion to use KMTTG, I think you're right, no transferring back to a TE4 box.

5. Feb 1, 2021 #5 of 19
    tlmckesson

tlmckesson New Member

May 5, 2015
    San Diego

Advertisements

I checked and it is software version 21.10.2.v9...
    So I’m screwed yes?

6. Feb 1, 2021 #6 of 19
    tlmckesson

tlmckesson New Member

May 5, 2015
    San Diego
    I was considering the edge. Any thoughts?

7. Feb 1, 2021 #7 of 19
    tlmckesson

tlmckesson New Member

May 5, 2015
    San Diego
    I hated when I updated to that new version. It seems I started having all types of problems with the unit that I never had before.
    But I do know this. I can NOT deal with the spectrum DVR

8. Feb 1, 2021 #8 of 19
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can still transfer to a computer (KMTTG, PyTivo, among other programs). You can then install a new drive, downgrade (rather upgrade) to v20. Use PyTivo Desktop to transfer shows back. v21 cannot transfer shows back to Tivo.

9. Feb 1, 2021 #9 of 19
    tlmckesson

tlmckesson New Member

May 5, 2015
    San Diego
    I don’t know how to do that. Could I pay you to?

10. tlmckesson

tlmckesson New Member

May 5, 2015
    San Diego
    Also, would this cancel my lifetime service?

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Pay to do what?

12. tlmckesson

tlmckesson New Member

May 5, 2015
    San Diego
    All these words lol

“You can then install a new drive, downgrade (rather upgrade) to v20. Use PyTivo Desktop to transfer shows back.”

13. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Install a new drive, just means to swap out the drive inside the Tivo Roamio.
    The downgrading of the software is to get the software from v21 to v20.
    PyTivo desktop is a program you put on your computer that lets you download the shows, upload also.

If you cannot handle these, you are computer illiterate.

14. tlmckesson

tlmckesson New Member

May 5, 2015
    San Diego
    ok. I’m going to NOT assume you’re as a**hole for that reply. Perhaps you are under the impression to belong to this community or even better to purchase a TiVo one must be able to “swap out” a hard drive. Computer literacy is not limited to hardware literacy in my opinion so your comment was insulting.
    You sincerely could have just said no thank you.
    Have a great nite

tampa8 likes this.
  15. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I wasn't trying to be insulting or condescending. Just that your responses dictate you do not know how to do those operations and require someone else to do them, which need them to come to your place and get them done.

With the right tools, it can be done relatively easy. The only part that requires any tools is the replacement of the drive.
    The other points are software based, From v21 to v20, is to have the Tivo go to the early version and allow Transfers from a computer. The other is a program that you install on your computer that will let you download and upload shows.

16. tlmckesson

tlmckesson New Member

May 5, 2015
    San Diego
    I appreciate your reply. Have a good night.

17. wml1950

wml1950 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You may want to contact Weaknees. It is a company that is very helpful with Tivo. If you mail them your current Tivo and buy a new one from them, Weaknees may be able to transfer the shows to the newer one for a fee. Weaknees phone number is (888) Weaknees. Company is in California.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  18. tlmckesson

tlmckesson New Member

May 5, 2015
    San Diego
    Hello. First, I do apologize for how long it has taken me to reply. Or to at a minimum thank you. I appreciate the info. I purchased my first TiVo in 2004 and have never looked back. I sing it’s praises to anyone who will listen but I don’t personally know 1 person who owns a TiVo. So comparing notes about problems has never been an option. And then I found this forum. I appreciate the seemingly endless supply of knowledge I’ve found here. I appreciate how everyone shares and back to your response, I am definitely going to get weak knees to help me because I don’t want to lose my TiVo lol.
    Ok, sorry for the long post. I appreciate you and all like you in this community willing to share info.

have a great day
    Tammy

19. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    While you have a Roamio, its perfectly fine. If, whenever, the drive fails, you can simply replace it.
    As for the shows, they can be downloaded and uploaded. (Barring any copy-protection imposed on shows from any CableCo.)

Easier to use pyTivo

as well as KMTTG.

New program for 1 step TTG downloads, decryption, encoding - kmttg

Avoid the newer Tivos (Namely the Edge, and Bolts running software v21 (TE4)) as they no longer support PC-to-Tivo transfers. Roamios can also run v21, only if you had opened "The New experience" app.