Does the tivo series3 HD work for comcast in Houston?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by nirvanayoda, Jul 27, 2007.

1. nirvanayoda

nirvanayoda New Member

Aug 11, 2006
    I don't move to Houston until August 29, but I just called Comcast to place my order and they said if I wanted HD service I had to use their DVR box. I told them that I just bought a tivo series 3 and I have no idea why it wouldn't work with their cable cards. Then I said "thanks, but i don't believe you, please add 2 cable cards to my order".

So then she sent me to tech support to ask the question. The representative I talked to said "no, it won't work" but when I requested she ask her supervisor, he answered that "yes, it will work except for on demand services".

Is that the correct answer? If not, I should bring this back before I open it.

And if it will work with their HD signals, will i still need their HD converter box for anything, or will I just need the tivo box and 2 cable cards for everything?

Thanks

2. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    you can get the hd channels on your s3. You just wont have ondemand or be able to use the interactive guide (order ppv from your guide). read up on SDV as well on these forums. you also might want to check out the new TivoHD. Its half the price and has pretty much all the same features. Smaller hard drive is the big difference.

3. nirvanayoda

nirvanayoda New Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Interesting. Thanks for the warning about SDV...do you see that coming to Houston in the near future?

Even if it does, it sounds like they'd be more likely to put the less watched multicultural or music channels on it. I'm willing to upgrade to a Series 4 in a year if that becomes a problem. I would just hate it if they switched next month and my new tivo was useless.

I managed to get a Series 3 off amazon for $599.99 with no shipping and no tax. It's not really worth it to me to return it and save $250.00 or so for a (slightly) worse box.

BTW, just as an aside, the reason I wanted a tivo box was because tivo rewinds just a few seconds after you were fastforwarding and press play. That little feature is worth hundreds of dollars to me. Do you know if the Comcast Houston boxes have that?

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I am a Houston ComCast subscriber. I have their DVR (SA8300HD), and two TiVos, one of which is an S3 (see my sig).

* Using the cable cards, you can get EVERY normal channel. This includes HD, analog, digital, scrambled, pay (HBO, etc), whatever. You don't get PPV or VOD (which luckily I have never used and don't care about).

* At this time, they have no plans for SDV. That could change at any time, of course, but they are not planning it at this time.

* You will not need their box for anything. I go from the wall coax outlet, direct into my S3, which connects direct to my TV. No more cable box.

* No cable DVR that I am aware of does the little "rewind" you are talking about. Certainly not in Houston. That's part of why I have a TiVo. It is challenging to watch TV on a cable DVR after being spoiled by the TiVo user interface.

On second thought, it's not challenging, it's painful. :)

If you have any other questions, fire away! There are several of us Houston people in this forum, always happy to help.

5. nirvanayoda

nirvanayoda New Member

Aug 11, 2006
    I really appreciate the info man. I called Comcast again today and again the representative told me she was instructed to always say that tivo is not compatible with their services and I couldn't use a tivo box. I told her that they mustve told her that 1) to lessen competition, or 2) b/c it wasn't compatible with VOD/PPV.

Still, I decided to keep the tivo S3 (even though reading about the Tivo HD is making me a little annoyed I spent twice as much on it, I think the bigger HD and THX sound might make it worth it to me in the long run...especially when you consider it would cost $40 to send the thing back). BUT, I'm gonna go ahead and get one of Comcast's HD DVRs as well just in case they ever go to SDV and tivo still doesn't have a solution. My tivo might be useless then, though....I guess that's a risk I have to take.

Plus, it might be pretty cool to be able to record 4 HD shows at once (with the cable DVR and tivo)...especially on college football saturdays!

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

That's because that is a Tivo patented feature ... :)

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Please call Tivo and report this to their Cable/CableCARD group so they can take appropriate action. I'm sure the FCC would be interested as well.