Does the TiVo Series 3 have Digial OTA Data for Canada

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Dajad, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto

Advertisements

Megazone confirmed here
    that the Series 3 has an option to enter a Canadian postal code as the Series 2 does for use in Canada.

But, it was brought to my attention that the zap2it.com website (by Tribune, the source of TiVo's guide data) does not have digital OTA info for Canada. I did a test and its true for my Toronto postal code (M5E 1W5), there is no OTA digital info available.

I tested a random U.S. zipcode on zap2it (90210 ) and it showed digital OTA info for that location.

Since I cannot use cablecard functionality in Canada I was going to use the Series 3 for OTA recordings. But, if there is no OTA digital info for the Series 3, it will ultimatley be a boat anchor.

Can someone at TiVo confirm that Tribune is providing TiVo with OTA digital guide data for Canada even though Zap2it.com doesn't?

Can anyone else?

I guess I won't be placing my S3 order unitl I have this fundamental question answered!!

...Dale

2. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Could be that Zap2it doesn't have the Toronto OTA info, but TiVo will.
    They are both run by Tribune Media, but they both don't necessarily have the same info avaible to them.

Contact someone who has a S3, perhaps Megazone would be willing, and have them input your postal code and see what happens.

Heck, I'd do it for you if I had an S3 in my possesion.

I just tried at Tivo.com, and it wouldn't let me though.

phox

3. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I sent an email into TiVo asking about this, we'll see what they say. I might be able to try it on my box if I can make some time to redo GS.

4. Tresy

Tresy New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I live in rural BC. There is no OTA programming where I am, and this thread is saying that CableCARD technology does not exist here (my HD cable box has a slot for one but does not use it). What I'm hearing is that I'm SOL as far as the S3 is concerned?

5. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto

Advertisements

Thanks Megazone. I really appreciate it.

Tresy if indeed there is no OTA digital in your area than you are right, until the cablecos in Canada voluntarily adopt cablecards (most likly cablecard 2, if at all) or unless the CRTC mandates it in Canada like the FCC did in the U.S., the only thing an S3 would do for you would be to record analogue cable off the analogue portion of your cable line-up. (in my case thats some 75 channels). But if that's all the S3 could do for you, you'd be much better off to purchase the dual tuner S2.

6. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Dale,

I think you're right. Tribune either doesn't get digital OTA data from Canada or (hopefully) just doesn't post it on their site.

I looked up my zip (14222) and it shows me analog Toronto stations but no digital.

You may want to ask here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8426018#post8426018

Some folks there are from Canada and there are some US folks there using some other HD recorders (and/or Windows Media Center) who may have had experience with Tribune's data. (some of the posters there do routinely pick up T.O. stations)

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Prettry well, yes, you are S3 SOL in Canada if you don't get Digital OTA, or at least it will be a very expensive analog OTA/cable DVR.

8. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    If you do, do a test Megazone, please feel free to use my postal code:

M5E1W5

Here is a link to the OTA digital stations that should show up if TiVo has the OTA digital guide data for my area:

http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/

Thanks cwoody, I have so asked! :)

...Dale

9. Tresy

Tresy New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks. As I already have 2 S2s, I don't see any net upside to a dual-tuner S3 after sacrificing MRV. Having 2 S2s allows me to finesse most scheduling conflicts anyway, plus I already watch too much TV. Being able to record more programs is the last thing I I need!

10. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    Ahhh ... the old ... more TiVos means more TV watching ... while that may be true, the way I look at it, the more TiVos (ie: the more concurrent recording capability) the more choice I have!!!

I long ago gave up tryign to watch everything I record.

Probably 60% or more of what I record I never watch, but I love the choices!

...Dale

11. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Sorry I took so long to reply - I wasn't feeling well last week and I basically took the weekend off from everything and slept a lot.

It looks like the S3 is a no-go for Canada. TiVo replied to my inquiry about OTA HD guide data in Canada:

12. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    While I don't fully understand the specifics, I understand the answer. It appears Tribune only has info for a few markets in Canada. Given that Metro Toronto is the largest Candian market, if they have any they'd have it for Toronto. But TiVo wasn't specific as to whether they don't carry ANY Canadian info (ie: it doesn't carry data for even those feeds that Tribune supports) or whether they just don't support the entire country but do support those parts for the single digits that they do have the feed for.

Thanks so much Megazone, the answer does move things along a bit further. I guess we won't really know if any market in Canada is served until some brave soul up here takes the plung and tries it.

...Dale

13. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Can any Canadian user tell me what, if any, guide data someone with OTA would get in
    Abbotsford, British Columbia V2T5P4 with a Series 3? Any close to the border US zip codes that can be used?

Is there any ATSC guide data yet or is it still manual recording for OTA?

14. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    Still manual as of my last check of www.zap2it.com. My suggestion for you is to check out what U.S.-based OTA analogue is available at your postal code from zap2it.com (if any). If you receive solid analogue channels from the U.S. check out which of those stations are broadcast digitally. Then you'll need to check out each of those broadcasters to see how much power they use etc. The best you can do is start doing google searches for your town and HDTV, or on the nearest big city.

Sorry to say, but OTA digital is very spotty in Canada. We get great coverage in Toronto and there is some around Ottawa, Calgary, Montreal and Vancouver. As for the smaller citites, I just don't know.

Update: I just looked up Abbotsford on Google Maps and you do seem close to the border. Depending on the mountain ranges between you and the closest U.S. border towns (which seem to be Sumas and Lynden), check out what digital TV they available on www.zap2it.com (you may have to look up the applicable U.S. zipcode first). There's a good chance whatever channels they receive, you'd receive with a decent antenna - again, assuming no mountains between.

You could also go to your nearest high-end TV dealer and just ask what digital channels are floating around in the air in your town. Ideally you'd do some tests and see some real-world reception before plunking down your hard earn Loonies!

...Dale

15. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
  16. TinyT

TinyT New Member

May 23, 2006
    I Live in Toronto I have to use 14301 as my Zipcode and I get all the OTA Guide info for OTA HD. Only problem is that my cable operator is not listed so I cant combine basic cable along with my cable. O well I got 4 other Tivos working anyways. I just transfer programing from one box to the next.

17. armstrr

armstrr New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    i just bought a tivo hd, so far i'm ALMOST totally thrilled. I live in sarnia, ontario which is between 55-60miles from detroit broadcasting towers. one thing i can say is the ota tuner is amazing. my last house i had a 45' tower and 10' mast and got everything i wanted with a rotor. at this house (2 story) i made two brackets that attach to the chimney and hold the antenna mast. i am farther from the signals and only about 28-29' off the ground and no rotor and get all the detroit locals.

if i use the michigan zip, the ota guide is right, but the cable channels don't jive. if i put in the canadian postal code, the cable is right, but no digital ota signals are listed from detroit, only analog locals.

i called and requested tivo add the ability to either manually add ota channels, add digital ota guide info for canadian postal codes in markets 75 miles or less from american markets or add the ability to use a canadian postal code for cable IN ADDITION to a US zip for OTA in a future update....i KNOW they COULD easily do one of these...lets hope.

something i thought odd, however is that when the US zip is used, the OTA info includes some (albeith non-digital) CANADIAN stations....odd

on the other hand, i bought this aware it would be fairly limited in functionality. I am mostly concerned with HD programs from 8-11pm and this thing brings them in beautifully and records them perfectly, the few non-HD programs on cable that i would like are not a big deal.

one option: accroding to the tech i spoke with, they will be adding tivo-to-go, so if you have an S2, you could have that one set up for canadian cable and it will send programming to the s3 or HD tivo. right now i only have one tivo, but that humax with the dvd burner looks interesting...

can i suggest that every canadian that runs into these situations call AND/or email tivo and echo what i requested?

even if it never happens, being able to record TWO network shows in HIDEF and watch on in HIDEF all at the same time is worth the price of admission ($253 from amazon)....now for that esata drive...

18. leemoreau

leemoreau New Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Montréal, QC
    Just curious if there's any update to this? I just bought a Series 2 several months ago as I have ExpressVu satellite in Toronto. I never know digital OTA HD existed so for fun I bought a $19 antenna and I get 17 HD channels which is amazing. I'd never get rid of expressVu since I want certain channels there, but would be nice to record in HD. I'm guessing no update?

19. schumimtl

schumimtl New Member

May 28, 2008
    well, I'm in Montreal and it works here with a US zip to have the guide for all the OTA channels.