Does the Roamio Plus support 1080p with Verizon Fios?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by NJTechGuy, Jul 31, 2020.

1. NJTechGuy

NJTechGuy New Member

May 5, 2020

Advertisements

I have had my Roamio Plus for about 7 years with a cable card to my Fios Service. I've always noticed it would default the picture to 1080i for all the HD channels and was under the impression at the time that was all that Fios broadcasted back then. Recently I bought an LG OLED 4K tv and would like to get the best picture possible without buying an Edge. I was trying to get my Roamio to output in 1080p instead of 1080i. But the results on all the New York area and Sports HD channels shows the content coming in at 1080i or 720. Has anyone had success in outputting 1080p from Fios on their Roamio Plus?? I called Fios and they said they are broadcasting full HD to me and that my cable card should work fine for 1080p. Though one agent said the cards only put out in 1080i. I have had the same card for 7 years and thought maybe they have newer cards that support 1080p. But they told me they havent changed the cards in years. Anyone have any input here? thanks!!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Find the video resolution screen. It looks like this for my basic Roamio:
    video_res.JPG
    Only check the two boxes that have 1080p. See what happens. I leave mine at 1080i since I can't see any difference.

When you hit the Info button, it shows the resolution you are receiving.

3. NJTechGuy

NJTechGuy New Member

May 5, 2020
    I have tried that. I still only see 1080i in the info on any channels I view. I live in NY area and tried many channels. Nothing ever showed in 1080p. Does anyone ever get 1080p on anything from fios with Tivo? If so, what channel?

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have never heard of a cable channel sending 1080p. Satellite is different.

Give it a while. It may take a while to find the right person.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

No one broadcasts OTA or cable in 1080p, it's 1080i only.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No TV source will broadcast at 1080p.

You can upscale to 1080p by just unchecking all the other resolutions except 1080p. When you press Info button on the Tivo, it shows the resolution of the TV video, NOT the video from the Tivo. You need to use the TV remote and press INFO (or similar) button to show what the TV receives on the video.

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    20200731_144237.jpg

This shows as I have noted in my previous post. The top line is from the TV itself (showing 1080p) from the Tivo, the part near the bottom shows 1080i and that is from the TV source.

The only difference between 1080i and 1080p is how the screen redraws. 'i' or Interlace means that each frame is drawn twice, every other line on each pass, 2nd pass fills the rest. 'p' or progressive, means that each frame is drawn on EVERY line from top to bottom.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  8. NJTechGuy

NJTechGuy New Member

May 5, 2020
    I see. So from what everyone says here, I'm going to assume Verizon Fios only broadcasts their content in 1080i and either their boxes or the tivo box can upscale it to 1080p. So you're saying I should just keep the two 1080p options checked and it should upscale all the content.

This leads to my next question. Is it better to leave it the Tivo on Auto or upscale it to 1080p on my LG OLED 4k TV. The LG tv has it's own upscaling built in as well.

So now I think my 3rd question answered itself about if I should bother upgrading to the Bolt or Edge. Probably would add no benefit since Fios has only like 2 BS channels on 4k and doesnt even put out 1080p. As for all my 4k content, my LG TV has apps for netflix, vudu, Disney+ etc that all have Dolby Vision and Atmos. And I send that audio signal to my Yamaha Aventage surround. Another reason why an Edge would be a waste of money I suppose. So basically the Edge or the Bolt has no added benefit. Plus Id lose my Tivo Desktop transfer ability.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    CableCo can do worse by compressing the signal and reducing to 720p.

Bolts can do 4K but no one yet broadcast in 4K, so its pointless.

If the Tivo runs v21 (Hydra), transfer function from PC to Tivo is disabled, Tivo-to-Tivo transfers can only be initiated from online.tivo.com, so transfers from older models (Series 3 and older) are disabled/not supported.

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Verizon FiOS has 2 4K channels with intermittent broadcasts, I've heard others may have a couple also, but I can confirm the 2x 4K channels on Verizon.