Does the Premier support migration from previous Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sethmeisterg, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1 of 14
    sethmeisterg

sethmeisterg New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Hi!

I'm considering a Premier for the holidays, but the last time I upgraded from a series 2 to my HD TiVo, it was a MASSIVE pain to migrate the tons of season passes and settings from my previous TiVo. Does the Premier support pulling all of my configuration information from my previous TiVo (and, bonus: copying all the recordings)? It would be SO AWESOME if that feature existed as it would dramatically reduce the pain of the upgrade (and my HD Tivo is only 2 years old!).

Thanks,
    --S

2. Dec 4, 2011 #2 of 14
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you have both TiVos active and on your account at the same time your season passes can be moved via your Tivo.com account and you can copy any shows over that are not copy protected via MRV (multi room viewing). I don't think anything else can be moved.

Good Luck,

3. Dec 4, 2011 #3 of 14
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    atmuscarrella mentions copying shows via MRV, which will work, but if you use TiVo Desktop to park them on a computer as an intermediate step it will preserve meta-data (like when the show was actually recorded and some other stuff) that gets lost doing it straight from TiVo to TiVo.

Of course it takes a lot longer, but you don't wind up with an entire season's worth of something that needs to be watched in order all marked as having been recorded on the same date.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #4 of 14
    HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
  5. Dec 5, 2011 #5 of 14
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You mean they fixed this bug?

I MRVed often between Tivos (S3 & TivoHD), and it did NOT have the original air date/episode # info preserved.... (when transferring to a computer, you CAN have metadata files created that DOES have this info in it, so it is technically possible).

Also, note that the tivo season pass manager transfer apparently (1) messes up the order, and (2) does NOT handle wishlists.

6. Dec 6, 2011 #6 of 14
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I've got an S2 DT full of shows all marked 12/7 (of last year) copied over from another S2 DT before I started using Desktop that beg to differ.

Everything I know about TiVos was learned the hard way.

Sometimes by someone else and I was lucky enough to read about it when they wrote it up, sometimes by myself and I try to pass it along to save others the headaches I went through.

7. Dec 6, 2011 #7 of 14
    Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002

I've never seen shows NOT keep their original air dates with my TivoHDs. I routinely transfer shows form one to another and they always get the correct date. Perhaps it is an S2 thing?

8. Dec 6, 2011 #8 of 14
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Now that I've got an HD to play with as well I'll have to experiment.

9. Dec 6, 2011 #9 of 14
    HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Transferring recordings to the Series 4 (Premier the OP may be getting) does preserve the original air date, recording date and time. I just verified by transferring an old recording from a SA Series 2 to my Premiere XL with Ver 14.9.2

Agreed, the On-Line SPM does not transfer "Wish Lists" or maintain the Season Pass's priority order which is relativity easy to reorder using the SP manager on the TiVo.

10. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    I was referring to the Series 4 the OP is thinking about purchasing.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, you didn't read my post before that.. I used S3 & TivoHD, and the OAD & other pertinent show info was NOT transferred.

Even the show LENGTH is screwed up if you try to Save to VCR after it is transferred.. (it thinks virtually all shows are 8 minutes long...)

12. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    My bad, I misunderstood the first post I quoted. I was talking about the recording date not OAD (which is the same for my 99 out of 100 times). I have no idea if OAD is transferred correctly. I'm not even sure where you can see that info.

My apologies.

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If it got copied along with the show, then going into the listing for the show in Now Playing and hitting the info button should do it.

I think I remember (on our S2 DTs) that copying straight from TiVo to TiVo without involving TiVo Desktop results in a lot of info missing from the info page, but it's been about a year since I did that, and I can forget a lot in a year.:)

14. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    True: OAD is NOT preserved on the transferred recording. Even a fair amount of the INFO is lost. For example, in the past a transferred recording of say a talk show would NOT preserve the guests to appear on the transferred recordings INFO, but it was still intact on the original source TiVo / source recording.