Does the OTA tuner work well w/ HD TIVO?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jrod9707, Oct 14, 2007.

1. jrod9707

jrod9707 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Hey guys sorry to post back 2 back but I want to talk the wifey into one of these and hate to have a surprise when I set the unit up. I've seen personally differences in OTA reception. My friend has a Phillips Plasma TV and he bought a rooftop antenna and lives in town and channels lose signal, also another friend did the HTPC thing and had to buy quite a few different tuner cards until he found 2 that brought in reception very well(he also lives in town and has rooftop antenna).So my question is are there any complaints about problems with OTA signal and dropouts.Thanks again.

2. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    No problems here. I have several channels in the fringe, but with a good outdoor UHF antenna (CM 4221) and a preamp, I just have occasional pixelation. In fact, my worst station is PBS-HD where I average only 52 in signal strength during the day, low 60s at night. My TVs tuner can barely hold it. TiVoHD keeps it locked with minimal pixelation 24/7.

3. hastypete

hastypete New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I've had three HD tuners.
    Tohsiba TV - Works great with 70% signal
    Sony DHG-HDD250 HD DVR- couldn't hold a signal to save it's life even at 80%
    Tivo HD - Works as good as the Toshiba TV reports around 70%

I think the percentages don't mean much since it's probably a subjective number depending on the manufacturer.
    The TiVo (and TV) do occasionally get pixelation dropouts, but the audio never stops. Even at it's worst, which I've seen once for about 2 minutes (heavy, heavy rain), I could still hear the broadcast and sort of make out what was going on.

I'm very happy with my OTA reception now that the Sony is gone. Thank you TiVo

4. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    With plain old rabbit ears I was able to pull in my local channels very well. To get some of the more exotic ones, I did add an outside antenna.

5. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I use ota about 50% of the time. If i could only get history and discovery ota I could cancel cable.

6. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    My S3 tuner seems better than my TV's. I have a few channels in the lower 60's for signal strength and the TiVo rarely pixelates.

7. jrod9707

jrod9707 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I know I'm going to miss History and discovery channel but saving $50 a month kind of makes up for it. Just to throw in my stats since everyone is contributing and thankyou for that. My Panasonic Plasma Gets 82-88% solid ever since I moved my antenna from the attic to the rooftop.B4 that I got high numbers but they would fluctuate and get pixelation. The lowest % I have now is NBC at 74% but its solid. Pixelation doesn't happen till things get below 40-which now thats its mounted outside doesn't occur anymore.It sounds like this tuner is just as good as anything else out there which is what I was hoping to hear. Does snow have much of an effect on signal?(or I should say for outside antennas what degrades signal?