Does the new "Replacement TiVo DVR Remote" work with two Tivos?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Puppy76, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jun 9, 2011 #1 of 15
    Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Am I missing something? I just bought a:

"Replacement TiVo DVR Remote, black"

directly from Tivo:

http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-accessories/tivo-remote/index.html

and was surprised to...not see a switch on it to switch back and forth between two Tivos. Is there some other way to do that (besides reprogramming it every time) am I just missing something?

2. Jun 9, 2011 #2 of 15
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    To switch it among different Tivo units, press and hold the Tivo button at the same time as you hold and press the "Pause" button, until the little red light at the top end of the remote remains lit(about 5 seconds). Then press the number on the number keypad which corresponds to the "remote address" of the Tivo unit to control. The little red light will flash a few times and turn off to confirm the remote has switched addresses.

Sounds complicated, but it becomes very easy after a few tries. I just learned this yesterday. Even the regular Tivo peanut remotes(even the ones with switches) can do this. I am now controlling 4 different Tivo boxes in the same room with one remote.

Does give the Tivo button quite a workout though.

3. Jun 9, 2011 #3 of 15
    Puppy76

Oct 6, 2004
    Darn...so you actually have to reprogram it like that every time? Like the older remotes had a switch, and you could program two separate codes in it, and just use the switch.

It's not really THAT bad, I guess, but I was surprised it doesn't seem to have a switch anymore.

4. Jun 9, 2011 #4 of 15
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    With the switch, you could only control 2 at a time though.

As I said though, I just learned of this myself though in the thread about the Glo remote at Best Buy.

Maybe there is a "simpler" method. You might think there would be, being a "deluxe" remote.

5. Jun 9, 2011 #5 of 15
    Puppy76

Oct 6, 2004
    Two at a time yeah, but you reprogram it the same way too.

Well darn, that stinks :(

Oh well, I'm REALLY holding on to my old remotes now! :-O

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  7. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    How do you set that up. I read the other thread and see nothing. Oddly, Tivo says you can't do this without the remote with the remote with the switch.

8. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I edited out TiVo's instructions relating to the "switch":

I use a piece of aluminum foil to cover the fronts of my DVRs. I have 3 in the same room, and used the above (modified) instructions to program my DVR addresses.

9. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I think how to do it is pretty much described in your post and quote there. Now if you are asking how to set Tivo units up to respond to a specific remote address, I don't think I can do better than the manual(or web site).

I'll give it another shot.

A. To control Tivo set up with Remote Address 1:

Press and hold the Tivo button at the same time as you hold and press the "Pause" button, until the little red light at the top end of the remote remains lit(about 5 seconds). Then press the number 1 on the number keypad. The remote will now control the Tivo set up with Remote Address 1.

B. To control another Tivo set up with Remote Address 2:

Press and hold the Tivo button at the same time as you hold and press the "Pause" button, until the little red light at the top end of the remote remains lit(about 5 seconds). Then press the number 2 on the number keypad. The remote will now control the Tivo set up with Remote Address 2.

C. To control another Tivo set up with Remote Address 3:

Press and hold the Tivo button at the same time as you hold and press the "Pause" button, until the little red light at the top end of the remote remains lit(about 5 seconds). Then press the number 3 on the number keypad. The remote will now control the Tivo set up with Remote Address 3.

D. .....Remote Address 4...etc, etc.

I am controlling 4 Tivos right now. Apparently, you can control up to 9(I read that somewhere here).

I have a universal remote that can control many Tivos, but when/if it gets misplaced, I can still control all the units when needed.

Hope that helps.

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You can set what TiVo calls the remote channel for anything between 0 and 9.

If you want more than one TiVo in the room, you use your choice of 1 through 9 for one of them and pick from the remaining 8 for the second one, from the remaining 7 for the third one, and so on.

What you have to watch out for is remote channel 0. As far as I know, TiVos and their remotes come defaulted to remote channel 0.

A remote set to channel 0 will operate every TiVo in the room (exceptions are Sony TiVos, and maybe some of the other non-Philips brand DVD combo units), whether you want it to or not, no matter what remote channel you previously had them set for (and I think it switches them all back to channel 0), and I think that a TiVo set to remote channel 0 will be operated by a remote set to any channel (though I don't know if it gets reset to the channel on which the remote is set).

Also, any TiVo where you've navigated to the system information page (where you can page down to see on what remote channel it's set) will have its remote channel changed to whatever channel a remote is set for if you push any button on that remote while the TiVo is on the sysinfo page.

The above applies to Philips S1 units, and, as far as I know, everything else that uses a peanut remote.

The S1 (and I suppose S2) Sonys use a different remote code or database or library or whatever they call it, so they won't control a non-Sony TiVo and the peanuts remotes won't control them (unless you load Sony S1 software on an S1 Philips or S1 Philips software on an S1 Sony, which I really don't recommend).

However, if you have more than one Sony TiVo in the same room, you can set the remote channel on the Sony remote and the Sony TiVos as well by the same procedure, but with the Sonys, there is no remote channel 0. Remote channel 1 is the default that will override everything, and at least remote channels 2 and 3 are available to hand out individually.

My experience so far is that universal remotes that control TiVos do so as remote channel 0 units (or remote channel 1 units when operating Sony TiVos), which makes them dangerous in a multi-TiVo room, and if there are any that can be changed to not be remote channel 0 units I'd love to know about it.

11. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Both my Harmony remotes (h625, and the Harmony One that replaced it) controlled between 3-4 TiVo DVRs using addresses 1-9.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If I were looking at them in a store, what "buzz words" would I look for to guarantee that they have that feature?

13. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I would say "Learning" remote. By default, I believe the Harmony's use the 0 address, but then asks something along the lines of: "Is the configuration correct?", at which point you say no, and go through a little wizard where you press 3-4 keys on the TiVo remote so the Harmony "learns" those codes. After that, no problems.

14. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    In my experience neither scenario changes the setting on the TiVo unless you're in the System Information screen. I set up my universal remote to control 4 TiVos on channels 1-4, but I use channel 0 in some cases like my System On and System off macros. A single Standby command on channel 0 puts all 4 units to sleep and a single Live TV command wakes them all up.

15. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    That sounds exactly right. All TiVo DVRs will respond to a remote with address 0, but the DVR's address remains the same, with the exception you noted concerning being in the System Info screen.