Does the Mini stop talking to the Roamio if it loses Internet access?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by dougdingle, Jun 5, 2015.

1. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast

Advertisements

Like the title says...

I lost Internet connectivity for a while yesterday, and the Mini complained it couldn't find my Roamio.

When service was restored, so was the connection to the Roamio (it seems).

Coincidence? Or is this how it was designed?

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just tested my Mini, I disconnected the Cable Modem from the Router, and the Mini still connected to the Roamio, and I was able to watch LiveTV and Recordings, it was a bit slower responding to remote commands. Of course all Search functions, and What to Watch Now, and Explore this show requires a WAN connection, as do any steaming Apps.

As long a your LAN is still active, meaning your router is Up the Mini should still interact with the Roamio.

3. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Thanks for doing the test. I figured it should keep working as long as the in-house network was up. I have a solidly built in-house network, but every once in a (great) while, the Mini can't find the Roamio. Mostly it comes back by itself, once I've had to fully reboot it to get it to talk to the Roamio again.

Likely a coincidence that it happened when I lost Internet.

4. CinciDVR

CinciDVR Contentious Member

May 24, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    It will also depend on how your network is setup. Besides needing a physical connection between two devices, the devices also need to know each other's IP address. They find that by asking a Domain Name Server.

So your devices need to be connected together via hubs or switches, and they need to be connected to a domain name server.

If your network is like CoxInPHX, when the cable modem loses connection to the internet, or is even powered off, his home network devices can still talk to each other because his router acts as the domain name server as well as the physical connection between devices.

But if your network consists of devices, or hubs, or switches connected to an ISP provided cable modem/router, and that modem/router hiccups or reboots, or what not, which could have been the cause of your loss of internet connectivity, then your devices lose both their physical connection to each other, as well access to a domain name server, and would be able to exchange data. **Edit - actually in this scenario, if you're devices can find each other through the hubs or switches, they'll be physically connected but they won't have access to a domain name server.

5. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast

Advertisements

I'm under the impression that TiVo uses either Bonjour or TiVo Beacon, and neither needs actual assigned IP's to locate other TiVos on the network.

I've since had occasional issues with the Mini seeing the Roamio Plus, even when the Internet was working, and so I suspect the issue lies elsewhere. A reboot of the Mini always solves it, but that should never be necessary to connect.

I've always made sure all my TiVos are connected off the same switch once I discovered that seemed to increase file transfer speeds between them, so I don't think it's a network issue.

The Roamio/Mini concept is a great idea, but does not seem to be glitch free.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This seemed to be the case for us after a recent Internet outage; some of our Minis either couldn't see our Pro or acted flaky until they were rebooted.

7. snedecor

snedecor Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Angleton, TX
    Commenting on this old thread because it happened to me recently.

Why would the Mini need to find the internet if it has already connected and authenticated, and everything's groovy?

Is TiVo scared that I will suddenly drop service on the host Tivo, and accidentally get more than I'm supposed to?

Everything was fine, we lost internet (fiber broken, whole town offline). I thought to myself, "Self, you can now watch all those TV episodes you never have time for".

Proceeded to the Mini, and got the error message that I needed to be connected to the internet. The internet? I'm on a wired network, the mini and Roamio had not changed IP address since given out by the router, they were still physically connected, but it needs the internet? That's crazy. It's OK for TiVo to check to see if you've paid your bills, but they shouldn't do it every 10 minutes.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You should post the model of your router. I can't duplicate your problem, and it's easy to test. I do lose my Discovery bar and get the C130 error, but my Mini still talks to it's host.