Does the Edge have any advantage over the Roamio plus?

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by Johnny Danger, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Does the Edge have any advantage over the Roamio plus besides being a newer box?

Do the Tivo Mini for the roamio plus also work with the edge?

Thanks.

2. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    The Edge is quicker than the Roamio. It has state of the art audio and video. That's about it. The failure of the Edge is in its streaming capabilities which are identical to Bolt and Roamio. The mini will work just fine with Roamios, Bolts and Edges.

3. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Im trying to figure out why this is different than the Tivo Bolt + I have. Is it faster?

4. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    I think somebody stated the Bolt was twice as fast as Roamio and Edge was just 25per cent faster than Bolt. The edge probably runs cooler than your Bolt. And Edge can be stacked in a cabinet if you so desire.

5. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Its just unclear to me exactly what it does that the bolt does not. Seems like they emphasis streaming your own content? I suppose HDR is nice if you have the display for it. It appears to be 200 bucks more than the bolt

6. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    That was the disappointment we all felt when Tivo's first box in 3 years was a Bolt in a square box. Same apps. More storage. Little but quicker. As so many say here...meh.

mrsean likes this.
  7. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Tivo couldn't be bothered to do anything special for Edge, so its only reason for existing is to help move manufacturing costs off the books. (Edge is made by Arris.)

Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision support. Slightly faster CPU than Bolt. That's literally it.

8. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    The Bolt Vox is made by Arris also. So is the mini vox The edge only exists because the MG3 exists. MSO’s drive TiVo now. Not retail

9. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Yes, that's my point. Though the newer Bolts were made by Arris, they were still unique production runs. Now the motherboards are identical, and once Tivo sells off it's old Bolt stock they can wipe their hands of the expenses (other than retail purchase orders and storage.)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  10. dgoto

dgoto New Member

Apr 29, 2010
    TiVo Edge review: A once-great DVR in decline
    New hardware does little to improve the increasingly outdated TiVo formula.

TiVo Edge review: A once-great DVR in decline

The best thing about TiVo has always been its fundamentals. No other DVR gives you as much control over which programs to record and how to record them, and no other DVR makes live TV viewing so convenient.

All the more frustrating, then, that the new TiVo Edge DVR makes no improvements in the areas where TiVo needs them most. The hardware is slicker (and quieter) this time around, and now it supports Dolby Vision HDR. But you still can’t use other streaming TV devices, such as Roku, to access your DVR, and TiVo’s own selection of built-in video apps is falling further behind dedicated streaming players. Even worse, the core DVR experience is now deteriorating with pre-roll video ads.

As TiVo stands still, other over-the-air DVR solutions such as Tablo, Channels DVR, and Fire TV Recast are adding more of TiVo’s core features while offering those that TiVo still lacks. As such, even a slightly improved TiVo Edge is harder to recommend than its predecessors were.

11. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Enjoyed that review. The author is clearly a Tivo user and pulls no punches.

Tivo even tried to blame his TV for the broken HDR implementation. Fun.

12. dgoto

dgoto New Member

Apr 29, 2010
    I haven't read through all of the messages here so I am wondering if this Edge can be upgraded with a larger hard drive like many earlier Tivo units were able to do?

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  14. yesno

yesno Active Member

Jun 27, 2003
    Arizona
  15. dgoto

dgoto New Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Joe Thanks, since seeing that photo I contacted Weakness and found out they are already selling a 3TB version cable version for $599.99 They wouldn't tell what they are using for the upgrade drive. Weaknees TiVo Edge DVRs

Mikeguy likes this.
  16. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    The Edge is much better if you want to be absolutely sure you can't move back to TE3. For some of us here that's more than enough to make sure we'll never buy an Edge.

KENL likes this.
  17. exdishguy

exdishguy Active Member

Apr 30, 2004
    All this for a mere $950!

KENL and bobfrank like this.
  18. porkenstein

porkenstein Geek

Aug 11, 2002
    Donna, Texas
    No way I am going to the edge. Might be good but the horrible bolt Tivo came out with I will stick with my roamio until it dies. Also have two premieres that are running great still. The bolt lasted only a few months. I think a person would be better off finding a used roamio instead of one of the new tivos. I guess time will tell it they are better than the bolt.

KENL and mrsean like this.
  19. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    I really like how my Roku and FireStick can automatically switch the TV's input to the correct HDMI when I push the home button. My Roamio can't do this, and my Mini VOX can't do this. Can any of the new tivos do this ?

20. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Baltimore
    The Roamio can do this if you turn on CEC. Pressing Live TV or the TiVo button switches everything.