1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the bolt output in 4:4:4 if not what does it output?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by alexb, Jul 17, 2017.

1. alexb

alexb Active Member TCF Club

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    I find a lot of recorded content has terrible gradient banding.
    I looked at some showtime content on their app and the source material had little to no banding.

Does anyone know what the TiVo outputs for color depth and if it is configurable?

2. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Not sure but I thought streaming content is typically higher quality because they can apply a 2-pass compression ahead of time whereas for live tv it is done on the fly with a constant bitrate.

3. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    My guess is the broadcasts have issues and the app isn't looking at the same thing you recorded. The YCbCr 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 chroma is negotiated between device and display over HDMI. You wouldn't see "terrible" gradient banding with 4:2:2 unless the source broadcast had issues. Maybe if every single content you watch has terrible gradient, then it is something on your side. I would look for different patterns of where it happens and where it doesn't to see if anything pops up.

4. alexb

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    Thanks, I will try finding some streaming content on Netflix and Amazon. My guess it is Comcast's crappy compression, but for reference anyone got last weeks twin peaks on their TiVo they found check the dark background and moon light at min 47.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I find the Amazon's trailer for Fury to be a good test. It is outdoors with a lot of color and motion. It is also 24fps and DD+. And it's free.

alexb likes this.
  6. alexb

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    I guess what I am looking for is something that does exhibit the issue when using xfinity ondeman that I can then verify against Netflix amazon....

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My Bolts output in 4:4:4.

No way that I know of to configure it.