1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does "The 4400" Have a Finale?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I've read good things about this series and may watch it but I'm confused as to whether it has a finale. It's a sci-fi-ish kind of mystery show, correct? Does it have a conclusion, a resolution? If not, does it need one? I don't want to watch four seasons and be left hanging.

Thankye!

2. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    According to Wikipedia:
    "The series ended with a cliff-hanger,
    with Collier pledging to build the future he had promised, while the government watches uneasily as Collier's militia remains in control of Seattle, now known as Promise City.
    "

3. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Well I certainly don't want to read the spoiler in case I decide to watch the series. But ending with a "cliff-hanger" doesn't sound encouraging.

4. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Yeah, I didn't watch the series, so I can't comment if it's still worth watching.

5. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I can't remember specifically how it ended, but I liked the show overall. The concept was quite intriguing, and it featured a strong cast.

Odds Bodkins likes this.
  6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This. I enjoyed it a lot. But I'm also the type that doesn't get too bogged down in things like cliffhangers and wasting time on a series if there's no resolution, so if that bothers you, then do your research.

7. rpj22

rpj22 Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Maybe I am splitting hairs, but I think "cliffhanger" is a little misleading. I would characterize it more as the end of a chapter. There was huge potential story to be told about what would happen next, but I didn't feel cheated. If a movie ended that way, a few people might be ticked off, but most would just shrug their shoulders and say, "They are obviously trying to set the stage for a sequel."

8. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yeah, I liked the show but I don't remember being upset when it was canceled. I read that spoiler above and barely even remember what that's referring to.

But things are different when you've watched weekly for several years. It's easy to be tired of a show after that. But maybe if you binge it all in a few weeks, you'd be more invested and have a stronger feeling about the way it ends.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    :eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

Wow!!! You really brought up some bad memories. I loved this show and was so pissed that they cancelled it before the fifth and final season.

10. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I often feel shortchanged when a show gets prematurely canceled, but in this particular case I didn't even remember that there was supposed to be a fifth season. A lot of time has gone by since then, though, and I have watched a lot of TV ... :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  11. Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    Don't remember much at this point but it was appointment TV for me when it aired.

12. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Right, I think it was more of a setup for a possible next season and not a "who shot J.R.?" cliffhanger.

13. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    This is my research. I don't want to go bouncing around the interwebs reading about the show because there will inevitably be spoilers.

Thanks for all the replies, probably gonna give it a go.

DevdogAZ and Steveknj like this.
  14. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Watched the first few eps. This is pretty darn good, just what I was looking for, a kind of mystery sci-fi. It's very well done, has an interesting story and actually has real actors in it.

gweempose, DevdogAZ and aaronwt like this.
  15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I really enjoyed it. It's just that the planned 5th and final season never happened because it was cancelled after the 4th season.

16. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It's actually the first thing I ever saw Mahershala Ali in. He's huge now!

17. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Yeah, and I admire him for sticking with his name because you just know the first agent he ever talked to said "Sure, I'll represent you but we've got to change your first name to something easier to pronounce, like, er, 'Bob'."

The whole cast is very good, including the actors in the guest starring one-off roles.

18. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Yeah when I started seeing all that Oscar stuff before, I was like hey that's the guy from The 4400!

19. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Believe it or not, he actually did shorten his name. When he first started acting, he went by his full name "Mahershalahashbaz Ali". In fact, I think that's what he's credited as in The 4400. Now that's a hard name to pronounce! :)

20. Doggie Bear

Doggie Bear Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Pacific...
    I'm not sure if it's consider canon, but there are two books, "Welcome to Promise City" and "Broken Promises," that complete the story.

aaronwt likes this.