1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does standby use less power?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nuraman00, Nov 10, 2018 at 1:21 AM.

1. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    How much power is consumed on a Tivo Premiere XL4 when it's normally used, vs. standby?

A Tivo main Tivo unit never goes into standby by itself, right?

What happens if there's future recordings scheduled? Will it wake up on its own, if it's in standby?

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Most people on this forum will tell you to not use any standby/power save features.

You should believe them...

-KP

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
  4. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I hadn't read what other people recommended. Thanks for letting me know. I guess it doesn't help much.

Thanks for the link and for sharing your experience and energy savings, when you tried it.

I guess I won't use it.

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Also, some people feel that the hard drive going down during standby adds wear and tear. And so, for me, that possibility isn't worth the minimal power savings.

jrtroo likes this.
  6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Standby only saves about 1 or 2 watts. Hardly any savings. There are also issues with standby and Hydra.

jrtroo likes this.
  7. OhFiddle

OhFiddle Active Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Chicago Burbs
    I still use standby mode and really wish it worked better. There are sometimes issues with it locking up when coming out of standby, or the connected minis losing the connection to the main tivo when it is in standby. Reason I still use it anyways is that certain family members very regularly fall asleep watching recorded shows at a reasonable nighttime volume level. The show ends and after a period of inactivity it will just go into standby which cuts off the signal to the tv and so that shuts off as well. Without standby enabled the tivo bumps you back to live tv after a period of inactivity which is quite often a loud infomercial that wakes up everyone in the house at 2 or 3 am, except of course the person who fell asleep watching tv. :mad: Wish there was a setting to just have it cut off the output signal instead of going to live tv, but not go into full standby low power mode.

kpeters59 and Mikeguy like this.
  8. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    What about standby for the Tivo Mini Vox? Is that better, since there is no hard drive involved?

I just installed the Mini Vox in October. For now, I have tried using Standby on the Mini Vox after I'm done using it, before turning off the TV.

But if people say there are problems with that, then I'd like to know.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    With Hydra, the Mini VOX needs to wait until the Mini has entered Standby before using the Mini's remote to power off the TV. Other than that, no problems.

A Mini VOX draws 7-8W when not in Standby. It seems to draw 7-8W when in Standby. My Kill-A-Watt doesn't have better resolution for power.

10. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    :) I had to downgrade from Hydra since the Premiere XL4 was on a lesser OS.

How does everyone know the latest OS on the Tivo is called Hydra, anyways?

I just got a Kill-A-Watt too, a few weeks ago. I used it to measure the power my desktop and monitor were drawing. I was considering buying a 2nd APC battery backup, but for my desktop and monitor. But after using it, and seeing how much power it draws, I decided that I should wait for when I upgrade or change PCs, to a processor that uses less power, and possibly a video card that uses less power too. After that point, I'd revisit the topic of whether I wanted to get a battery backup power again.

I currently have 1 APC backup, with my modem, router, switch, Tivo, Ooma, and security camera NVR plugged into it.

I guess I'll keep powering down the Mini Vox, to standy, if I remember. But if I don't, then no big deal, it seems.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    At the top of every page is a search box.

also: Hydra is dead, long live Mira!

12. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
  13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't have an answer for that. This is the first time TiVo (Ted) used hydra: Tivo Vox boxes launch/available October 29th

If you view the system logs, "Hydra" is present, as is "Encore" (TE3). Maybe it's a FB thing.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 4:28 PM
  14. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    I dont have any inside info but I think the names are just inside project names that become public plus it is easier to remember than 21.7.20 Officially you have TiVo Experience 3 - version 20.x.x and TiVo Experience 4 - version 21.x.x

15. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks. I guess the nicknames aren't in official press releases, but official Tivo employees post such names on forums.

How do I view the system logs?

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Viewing System Information: Clear-Clear-Enter-Enter-0. It takes a second, then you get a very old SD menu. One option is Sys Logs. Documentation is in the TiVo Programmer's Reference manual (published MMXXV in Latin).

17. longrider

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    I assume thats a typo unless you have a time machine... :) ;)

18. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    It irks me that people can be dismissive of "1 or 2 watts". In the context of a TiVo, that's a lot -- as much as 5-10%.

However, recent versions of the TiVo software -- at least, in the older, "HDUI", "TiVo Experience 3" -- are kind of broken in Standby mode. When trying to stream from one TiVo to another, if the "host" TiVo is in Standby, then when I select it from My Shows, it usually comes up in SDUI mode (and with no folders), when it comes up at all. From a Mini, if the host is in Standby, I can't do anything at all until I go to Live TV. Both of these problems are relatively new, although it's been months now.

Oh, and lately, I've seen the TiVo outright get stuck on the "Waking up" screen, and miss recordings. I haven't nailed this down to something repeatable, so I hesitate to attribute it to Standby. But it looks bad.

They didn't used to, but at some point, TiVo added an option to Standby after two or four hours of idle time. I'm not sure if that extends to the Premiere XL4.

Standby never interferes with scheduled recordings. At least, it didn't used to. Now...?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 6:01 PM
  19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    not 2025?

20. longrider

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    Yes, its 2025 but I now see it went right over my head. I am guessing there is no such thing as a TiVo programmers reference manual (at least in 2018) :)

JoeKustra likes this.