Does Series 2 support USB 2.0?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Okeemike, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL

Advertisements

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Does the Series 2 Tivo support USB 2.0, or only 1.1? I know that I can hack the unit, and enable 2.0, but I'm not interested in doing that at this point.

Pulling video off at 1.1 speeds is driving me nuts!

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Sereis 2 hardware starting with 240 model has USB 2.0 hardware

thing is a series 2 is harder to hack and TTG speeds are much slower than a hacked series 1 for reasons I will let others answer. Do not have the time right now

3. Okeemike

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    What are you referring to when you say "240 model". Does you mean serial number sequence?

Also, it appears that the Tivo is picky when it comes to USB adapters...is there a 2.0 adapter that (in your experience) works well?

4. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    TiVo model numbers that start with '1' are USB 1.1 (Sony SVR 3000 is an exception).
    TiVo model numbers that start with '2' or '5' are USB 2.0

The 7.x software finially enabled USB 2.0 drivers so if you have the hardware and the appropriate adapter you will see better MRV speeds.

5. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

Advertisements

are you talking about a wireless adapter (802.11) or a wired adapter?

If you need a wireless one, look at the TiVo branded one.

6. djcirello

djcirello New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Okeemike -

I have a Tivo Series 2 and I am using a Netgear USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet adapter model number FA120 and it works very well. Prior to this I was using a Netgear USB 2.0 Wireless adapter model number WG111RV.

Both adapters are compatible and work well. I switched from a wireless connection to a wired connection for greater transfer speeds from the Tivo to my PC. If you do not plan on transferring a lot of files back and forth than the wireless solution works very well. If you are going to do a lot of file transfers than a wired solution will be faster.

Darin

7. Okeemike

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL

Thanks. that's just what I was looking for. I am about to go on a business trip, and need to pull gobs of TV off of the box, and the USB 1.0 is just too darn slow. I'm hoping that that the 2.0 will make it much easier.