Does Series 1 pass through HD signal?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tmonte, Jan 19, 2006.

1. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006

Advertisements

I have a Series 1 Unsub Tivo.

I just got an HD TV.

Since I own the Tivo, I wanted to possibly save the rental from Comcast of an HD DVR box, and use the Tivo to record non-HD TV shows, and just change my Comcast box to an HD box without DVR.

Will the Tivo be able to pass through the HD signal for viewing on the TV, or can I NOT use my Series 1 Tivo at all in the "chain"?

If this is the case, than my only option would seem to be to get from Comcast the HD DVR (assuming it is probably a 6412).

2. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    It has no means to pass an HD signal thru.

You can use it to record off the S-Video or RCA outputs of the cablebox but if you want the HD signal to be seen, you will have to run it direct to the tv. I am probably going to do this with my HD DTV box, so I can record off it but not in HD obvously. THen watch HD programs off the box directly.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    a sereis 1 nor a series 2 can not pass through HD.

but the receiver you get will have some type of composite output so you can hook the TiVo to that and then have the HD connection (component or whatever) from the reciever to the TV directly. Of course this means the tuner in the reciever needs to tune in the channel you wnat to record on the TiVo and can not change from that.

so two tuners from cable company of else switch to cable co DVR

4. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    So what would then be your setup- as follows?
    1. 5-wire or DVI cable from box to set
    2. S-video or RCA oututs to Tivo

Does your HD DTV cable box have all of those outputs and will it output simultaneously to multiple output sources?

5. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...

Advertisements

If you bypass the tivo for the HD video you wll also need to do same with audio to keep it in sync when watching SD thru the Tivo itself...

So you'd need video and audio inputs into the Tivo... super video and rca audio most likely.
    THen you'd need to output component video straight to the tv as well as run audio to your tv or stereo

This way, the tivo is getting a Svideo picture, best its capable of, along with the corresponding audio.

And the HDTV itself is getting the HD picture out of the cable box directly with audio as well.

6. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    This of course asumes your cable box can do 2 video sources out at the same time (and audio).

I've noticed some will do RCA and S-Video at the same time but not component, others will do anything except HDMI/DVI out while the others are out... will need ot verify this on your cablebox itself.

7. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    So, wouldn't I then also need two video sources into TV?
    1. From Tivo
    2. From cablebox

8. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    Yes... unless you are passing it all thru an AV receiver which has support for this all and upconverts the lower signals to component.

Most TVs now a days have plenty of inputs so hopefully yours has enough on it.

9. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I hate to cross post, but still haven't gotten another ques answered and you seem to be knowledgeable.

I have the Model 1 Tivos.

Recently I noticed by playing with TV remotes that I am not recording stereo in the Tivo. I have a cable box and am using coax connections into and out of the Tivo to the TV, and to/from the cable box.

In order to record stereo, I think I must the three wires (S-Video and RCA) to connect to Tivo and the cable box.

Must I also use 3-wires in addition from Tivo to TV?
    In other words, for stereo signal do I need 3-wires all the way, or can I use any coax?

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the series 2 is this way and I assume the sereis 1 is as well.

it does not record true stereo but mono on both channels

11. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    The reason it's not recording in stereo is probably because you are running coax from the cable box to the tivo. You will need to run RCA (red and white plugs) into it for stereo recording. And use the S-Video as your video input from the cable box to the tivo. (for a better quality picture)

There will be coax coming from the wall to the cablebox. THen RCA and S-Video plugs for the sound and picture, then you'd also want to run the same S-Video and RCA to your TV or stereo receiver for the sound to get to you in stereo.

12. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    But, even if I don't record in stereo, currently I can't hear stereo through TV after it comes out of the Tivo.

13. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    Because you are running a coax from the tivo to the tv.

Like I said above, you'd need to run the RCA (red and white) from your tivo to the TV to hear the stereo from the tivo. Coax just won't do it.