Does Premiere support 500gb DVR Expander?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ScottHerzog, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ScottHerzog

ScottHerzog New Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Hello TiVo Community,

Pardon me if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, as I wasn't able to find this specifically.

I'm considering getting a Premiere and have one of the original WD 500gb DVR Expander drives that is still functional. Does the Premiere support this drive or just the newer 1tb model currently being sold?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, but you would have a higher chance of either drive failing and losing recordings.

3. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why it would be more prone to failure, outside of just being "older"? I am considering this as well. Thanks very much!

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    The way the expander is paired with the Tivo drive, you lose all the programs on both drives if even a single drive fails. Having two drives doubles the chance at least one will fail.

5. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Got it - so that's something that has always been a risk and isn't particularly MORE of a risk due to a technological or software-related issue with the older DVR expanders, just a categorical risk of using a DVR expander in general.

6. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    There is a long thread here with many reports of the original 500GB My DVR Expander failing. When I get a minute I will find it but that drive is not recommended by anybody here. I have one that is several years old and still works great but I consider myself very lucky. The drive enclosure fails most often.

7. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004
    I am currently running with a 500GB expander on my TivoHD. It has been working great for the last 2 years - even survived two moves. I also consider myself very lucky, considering all of the negative experiences everyone has had.

I got a new TV for our Den and am considering adding a Tivo Premiere to my setup - transferring the THD to the Den and installing the Premiere for the family TV. I was thinking I would just hook up the MyDVR Expander to the new Premiere and go with it until it breaks - which is why I was asking whether the new premieres tend to "play nice" with the older Expanders.

One thing I don't totally get is the Premiere XL - which runs about $200 more than the regular flavor. A $200 premium, yet, you can get a 1TB external drive for $100 and add it to the Premiere - so all in you're saving about $100 (excluding the remote). I guess there's some serious risk if people are willing to dive in to the XL for that much more $$$.

8. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    The more expensive model also comes with a more expensive remote and THX certification to further justify the premium, if I recall correctly without looking.

9. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    And the 1TB already installed (for those who don't have the time or skills to do this as a DYI) eliminates the slightly added risk of the external HDD. OR if you add the 1TB external, you now have a 2TB TiVo.