Does out of home streaming block NFL games?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by alexb, Oct 16, 2016.

1. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA

Advertisements

I am on the road in DFW airport, thought I would stream the Atlanta vs Seattle game from my X1 DVR. Ha, no such luck it is blocked by Comcast and NFL.

Would the TiVo out of home streaming help me in this scenario or have same issues?

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am only guessing but I think it would depend on what channel the game was being broadcast on. If it was a local NBC, CBS or FOX station I believe you would not have an issue. If it were being broadcast on a cable channel then it could be blocked by Comcast.

3. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    Yes it is on my local fox affiliate.

4. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Get a slingbox.

5. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA

Advertisements

Why would I need that if TiVo does out of home streaming?
    What am I missing here?

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    TiVo doesn't block the NFL on mobile devices like the NFL does on other devices. The NFL has no control over streaming restrictions on TiVos. So why would one need to get a slingbox to watch on a mobile device?

7. haniwa202

haniwa202 New Member

Jan 27, 2014
    I have both Slingbox and Tivo. I have found more reliability streaming with Slingbox. Today I tried to stream NFL Red Zone from my home to my phone and was unsuccessful. Not sure why. Worked great on Slingbox.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. haniwa202

haniwa202 New Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Update. Now I can stream via Tivo. Must have been a network issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    Do you use cable? I saw this on a tivo blog and it would seem to indicate TiVo might block if the cable content is marked as non stream able....

Not all recorded content can be streamed or downloaded to a tablet or mobile device (due to copy protection assigned by content provider and/or other technical limitations). Some recorded content can only be streamed/downloaded to your tablet or mobile device while you are on the same network as your TiVo BOLT.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    No cable company prevents the locals from streaming outside the home. And I'm not sure if any provider that does it with ESPN. So there should be no issues with the NFL.

11. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    So he doesn't have to piss away money on a tivo and sub. The slingbox is cheap and he can still use his X1.

If he wanted to be invested in the tivo ecosystem I'd assume he would already have one.

12. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    As the OP I was asking why I would need one, I don't care why someone else would need one, that's their call. I am thinking of buying TiVo and wanted to know if I can watch local fox affiliate NFL games when on road. Also a sling box taking up my X1 not very usefull when my wife is watching it.... guess y'all are single or have multiple cable boxes?

13. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Then as stated, the Fox, CBS and NBC games on the major networks should have no problem streaming out of home. The games on ESPN and NFL Network will be subject to your cable provider's rules. I can tell you that time warner protects pretty much everything except the local networks.

14. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    You're missing that Tivo OOH streaming sucks for many folks, therefore the recommendation is to get a Slingbox so streaming works like it's supposed to.

Which is really sad, but that's the state of Tivo streaming (and a lot of other stuff - Tivo does a lot of half-assed features).

15. brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Same here. I have found streaming via Slingbox is much more reliable than streaming from TiVo.