Does out-of-home LTE streaming to an iPhone work for ANYONE?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jesrush, Jul 14, 2018.

1. jesrush

jesrush Member

Nov 6, 2015
    This has been broken for me for so long (years) across multiple iPhones that at some point I concluded it must be broken for everyone and Tivo must not care enough to fix it (which is surprising - it was a flagship marketing feature for the Bolt). But as I was unable to watch the Wimbledon finals while out and about today it occurred to me that maybe I should confirm that's actually the case! Can ANYONE successfully stream to an iPhone over LTE?

The message I've gotten all these years is:
    "Streaming Not Supported: Streaming over a cellular connection is not supported. Connect to a WiFi network in order to stream."

Occasionally, a program will actually successfully stream for a 5-10 seconds before that error appears. Watching in-home over WiFi works fine. I'm at the latest version of the Tivo iOS app and have tried deleting/re-adding our iPhones as streaming devices.

Bolt
    Verizon Fios 50/50 over Moca
    iPhone 6, iPhone 7

2. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    My understanding is that streaming to the iOS app wouldn't start over cellular, but if you started the stream through WiFi, you could continue it over the cellular network.

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Android works over LTE and/or WiFi. But Slingbox is the more stable solution for out of home streaming for me most of the time.

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It is disallowed by Apple policy which speaks to quality standards. It is not broken, it just isn’t allowed. If you have a second device on the same account that you can tether, you can fool the iOS device into thinking it is WiFi. Or you can jailbreak your phone.

dianebrat likes this.
  5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Unfortunately, I don't think they clearly state this in their information on it (or at least the pages that initially came up when I searched for streaming on TiVo's website), but this support document has the comment below regarding the cellular restriction for iOS (but nothing on the why this is a restriction for that platform which Dan had indicated had to do with Apple's requirements for cellular streaming).

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Installation_Setup_Configuration/Out-of-Home-Streaming#ioscellular

IMPORTANT iOS information: Cellular restrictions require that streaming a show without downloading requires that your iOS device is connected to a high-speed wireless network. Existing recordings on your TiVo will start downloading to your device from the beginning of the recording. For in progress live TV, the TiVo will create a recording on the DVR and then begin downloading to the device from the beginning of that recording. Once the download has started you can start watching the show up to the point that has been downloaded to the device. In the case of a low quality cellular connection you may want to wait until a portion of the show has been downloaded before starting to watch that download to minimize interruptions (i.e., “catching up”). In the case of a high-quality cellular connection it is possible to download fast enough to watch the show immediately without interruption.

Scott

6. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    That is utter nonsense. iOS over cellular has never worked nor been supported. You cannot download nor can you stream.

7. jesrush

jesrush Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Tony - what is the Apple policy that Tivo is running up against? I'm able to stream Amazon Prime, Plex Live TV etc. over LTE to my iPhone...

8. jesrush

jesrush Member

Nov 6, 2015
    How does your Slingbox solution work? I'm guessing you have a Tivo mini feeding a slingbox and then you use the Tivo app from afar to choose what to play on the Tivo mini?

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    No need for TiVo app at all with Slingbox. It has a virtual remote control that looks like the real one and use it to directly control the Mini to stream. As a bonus you get SkipMode as well which the TiVo app doesn't support.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Skipmode works well with the SLingbox, but there is too much of a delay relibaly use FF/Rew. I'm on Android so I'm able to use the TiVo app. It's rock solid on my devices. The only time I use my Slingbox now is for shows that cannot be streamed out of home. Which also can't be transferred out of the box. I also use Plex for viewing my recordings out of home on a TV from a streamer like a Roku. But for a device with a small screen, like a tablet or phone, the TiVo app is what I use.

11. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Wait you can't download shows on cellular either with iOS?? That certainly seems odd. No iOS devices here so only experience has been with an Android tablet (not my primary either).

Scott

12. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    You can certainly download shows over WiFi onto the iOS app while not on your home network, but its speed/success depends upon your home's WiFi upload speed.

13. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    I gave up on slingbox years ago. And have had zero issues streaming with Tivo on Android even to Luxembourg (from Indianapolis) over WiFi. You need to be sure to enable OOH streaming before you leave home.

14. jesrush

jesrush Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Yep - but downloading shows to an iOS device is effectively useless because it's impossibly slow. At home on 5ghz wifi with a strong signal I think it took my iPhone 7 just shy of two hours to download a 3 hour football game. Imagine that over LTE...

15. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Yes, but Tony indicated that the TiVo article was wrong and that you can't download on cellular with iOS.

Scott

16. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I think the point is that you download at home, over WiFi, in the background, instead of using LTE, streaming.

17. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I’ve never downloaded three hours of a football game but have done hour long shows and it didn’t take anywhere near 2/3 of the recording time. It is slower than it should be but I haven’t seen it that bad.

18. Steve

Steve TiVowner since 1999

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    You can. I'm able to download over cellular and start watching after 30 seconds to a minute. No problems, except there's no skip ahead buffer unless you wait few minutes before you start to watch.

Attached Files:

19. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Ok, that makes more sense.

Tony? Why did you indicate that you can't download over cellular with iOS or is that just your experience?

Scott

20. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    No problems downloading over cellular on iOS here either.