Does New Pricing Pave the Way for the Tivo Extender?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by larrs, May 20, 2011.

1. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Seeing the new, simplified yet overall higher, monthly pricing scheme as well as streaming capability being confirmed, I wonder if this is partially paving the way for the rumoroed Tivo Extender? With new pricing at $19.95 for the first box and $14.95 for additional boxes with no annual plans, etc. I cannot help but wonder if this is designed to offset a low subscription point for a non-hdd equipped Tivo streamer at $4.99 monthly.

Many of the multiple Tivo households (like me) would certainly gravitate away from full featured Tivos in each location and toward a combination of Tivos/Extenders. This may be Tivo's attempt to protect some revenue as they go forward.

I for one, would most certainly ditch one Tivo (which is currently ONLY used for MRV) and most likely two. That would still give me four tuners, which is manageble for us.

Thoughts?

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I think the one issue they will have is pricing on an extender. With the Premiere now setting the pricepoint at $99, I don't know how they could price it. There is also the issue of pricing it to cover the hardware costs and still make a profit.

I think if they require a subscription even if you don't want to use it for live TV it may not sell well.

One thing they could aim for is TiVo Extender/Roku type box. Sell it as an extender and/or a Media Streamer. This way they could potentially introduce people to TiVo without them having to jump full in to the DVR.

3. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    No way I'm paying for a Tivo service fee on an extender plus my cableCo's outlet fee because it requires a Cablecard. Just stream from a new 4-tuner Tivo and be done with it, or even Premieres if you have enough free tuners on them.

Of course, that doesn't make any money for either Tivo or the cableCo and therefore is probably a non-starter.

4. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    I'd pay $4.99 plus $1.99 cablecard fee if the hardware was as cheap as a Roku to start with. I, for one, would want the cablecards because sharing tuners with another box sucks unless you have a boatload of them.

My cableco is all digital, so I'd need a cable box ($6.99/mo), Tivo ($4.99+$1.99) or DTA ($1.99/mo with only the analog tier relocated channels) one way or another.

5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Comcast charges $8.50/mo. outlet fee for an extra card here, so YMMV. Of course, this is subject to change when card rentals are standardized later this year. But right now I'd be much better off with an extender that didn't have a tuner (or card), and streaming from my Tivos either live or recorded.

6. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    No.

It's all a wash. Just a switch to a new business model that requires less up front.

IT makes lifetime look like more money even though it is a wash from a year ago. $200 more for the service but $200 less for the hardware.

It makes it easier to get into a Tivo because the up front cost is only $100 even though the monthly payment is higher. The cost after 2 or 3 years is roughly the same. AFter 4 or 5 years it will be higher than the monthly plans before.

I don't believe it has anything to do with extenders.

7. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Might want to check your own math.

Lifetime TiVos are $100 cheaper if not more if you buy the hardware on sale. Lif

Monthly TiVos are cheaper for the first 2 years with the new plan and hardware prices.

8. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    ?

Where's the error? Not seeing it.

Oh you copied my first draft which I re-edited before you posted. :)

I left out the commentary and corrected a typo.

edit: Ok maybe the confusion is I was using $300 for lifetime for new subscribers before and $200 lifetime for current lifetime Tivo owners as last year's lifetime rates. Those rates seemed so easy to get that I treated them as the norm.

9. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah I see you edited it now. I think I am so used to seeing people complain about the new pricing, it is easier to assume they got it wrong lol. Also doesn't help I am at work where one hand hovers over the alt-Tab. :)

Techincally lifetime went up $100 only. The upgrade offer was for $199 and that expired on 5/18. The lifetime upgrade offer was also only if you had an existing lifetime unit and hadn't used your offer. I only had an upgrade offer on the TiVo I hadn't upgraded yet. The other two no longer had the offer since I used it to upgrade even though the HDs were still on my account.

New users now pay $499 for lifetime rather than $399, and MSD runs $399 compared to $299. Hardware of course dropped $200 across the board.

I guess I don't really count the upgrade offer since it was never a guaranteed deal since it changed from time to time. When I upgraded at launch it was $299 + $199 vs $269 + $199 which it was prior to the 18th. Of course now with Amazon sales, you can get about the same price with the new MSD lifetime price.

10. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    Yeah was using the $300/$200 lifetime rates. They were so common I forgot they weren't the official regular rates.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Isn't there also some speculation that TiVo is working on a 4 tuner box? If that actually happens then I think the possibility of a dumb streaming box to compliment it is very likely.

Dan

12. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I would expect the extender to be a streaming device only, not a tuner. It should stream anything on the main tivo or from many online sources like netflix, amazon etc. If your 2 tuner tivo is not sufficient for your household, you need the new 4 tuner model or an additional 2 tuner model. The tuners are only where the recording is done, the extenders are just that, extenders, not tivo's without hard drives.

I can see the extenders at $99 and 3.99 a month or $99 lifetime sub fee, or just straight up $200, service included. It still needs guide data and search capabilites. It should also be able to schedule a recording. In short, the user should have EXACTLY the same user experience at the extender as they do at the main tivo once its set up. Same menues, same material available etc.