Does my Tivo Roamio OTA Setup Make Sense?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by costgeek, Nov 23, 2017.

1. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017

Advertisements

Cutting the cord sure takes a lot of research! The best intel I found for Roamio OTA was johnpowers post (very similar setup). Thank you for that...and I could really use an expert review.

I have attached my diagram. The bottom line is that I'm trying to feed 3 TVs with a rooftop antenna and Cox Internet. My understanding is that with all Tivo devices connected to the router, they will function as one DVR on the network (with live OTA TV on all 3).

Please let me know if you see any potential problems...and I am open to any suggestions!

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The only thing I see that does not make sense is the 2nd MoCa adapter. Minis have built-in Moca and all you would need is a coax line back to the line from each mini to the main.

3. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Not sure I'm following. I am running coax's directly to the minis, but I need the 2nd adapter between the minis and the router to switch from ethernet back to coax...right?

krkaufman likes this.
  4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, the coax from the Minis should lead back to the antenna line.

5. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017

Advertisements

My understanding is that the antenna goes directly into the Roamio OTA DVR, and if properly connected, becomes part of the network.

6. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    The minis will receive the signal, because the hub is receiving the signal.

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Data from the antenna goes through the MoCa and ethernet to the router, then DVR.
    The TV signals goes directly to the DVR.
    Data stream From the Minis are through the coax

POE filter is needed before the main coax and splitter to prevent broadcast outside.

8. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    What TV signals are there besides the antenna?

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Where do you think the TV signals comes from? the antenna.
    The data from the Minis, router, internet are also being carried through the coax on a higher frequency then the TV signals and Moca separates them.

Minis do not have tuners so the TV signals are ignored.

In other words, you do not need to convert the ethernet from the router back to coax with a 2nd adapter. Its already there.

10. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    The diagram that I provided is leveraging existing coaxial cable runs. I don't have an established ethernet structure that runs through my house. I'm guessing that most people don't.

I appreciate your input, but I'd really like to hear some other opinions.

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you have coax to each of the rooms (bedroom, liv rm, etc) and just to 1 antenna. the same coax can be used for the ethernet (through the MoCa).

MoCa is like an extension of your ethernet network, only thing different is its converted partly over coax.

Its just hard to explain in simple terms.

12. johnpowers

johnpowers Member

Nov 6, 2016
    If you can run a dedicated coax for the antenna like you show that is great. You don't need a POE filter if the Antenna is on a dedicated coax. I don't believe you will need the MOCA between Router and the Cable ISP. I think what you need is the attached drawing. Hopefully Krkaufman will take a look. He helped me a lot.

Attached Files:

krkaufman likes this.
  13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I think he will agree your diagram is exactly right, as do I.

krkaufman and fcfc2 like this.
  14. johnpowers

johnpowers Member

Nov 6, 2016
    One thing I forgot, you may need/want a POE filter on Modem.

15. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Your diagram makes perfect sense to me. I did my best to interpret the Tivo instructions, which are severely lacking. The OTA instructions don't even address using an antenna! Nothing they provide remotely resembles what you provided, which I find odd as I assume this is a very common cord-cutting approach. Three visits to the chat room didn't help, as the technicians I spoke with contradicted each other on multiple issues.

Thanks again.
    Chris

16. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Yeah...I got that. The Tivo instructions heavily address the POE filter, but do very little to explain how to set up an antenna/cable ISP configuration :)

17. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Even if it were easy to explain, it would be hard for me to understand :)

I wish Tivo would put some effort into a detailed process flowchart or decision tree. If they want to target cord-cutters, they need to cater to our lack of knowledge.

18. johnpowers

johnpowers Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Hope you enjoy your Roamio OTA. I really like mine. I bought mine recently so I am getting a Price Match for the $299 sale they are running. I updated the drawing to show the POE.

Attached Files:

19. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Today I'm putting up the antenna to verify we can get the live TV we want...haven't bought the Roamio yet. Where is it $299?

20. johnpowers

johnpowers Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Best Buy. I believe you can order it online for pickup or shipping.