Does my Roamio Pro Need a Coax Connection on FiOS?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by El Maestro, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Mar 5, 2016 #1 of 11
    El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'll be moving soon. In preparation, the new house is being completely rewired with quad core RG6 and Cat 5e home runs in all rooms.

Verizon will be coming in and installing a new ONT for FiOS TV and internet. I know that ONTs can be provisioned for ethernet instead of MoCa, my question is, does this apply to TV signal too/is the TV signal carried over ethernet?

In other words I am wondering if I connect the ONT to a Router via Ethernet, and then connect the router to a switch which will carry TV and data throughout the house through the new Cat5e, will the Roamio be able to get the TV signal from its Ethernet port?

Potential wiring Diagram (all ethernet):

ONT-->Router-->16 port switch (in basement)-->8 port switch (in living room)-->Roamio

Or, does TV signal require Coax/MoCa?

Either way is fine, I just want to make sure I get the right networking setup.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  2. Mar 5, 2016 #2 of 11
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I don't believe so. Fios is actually QAM cable for the in house portion of tv.

3. Mar 5, 2016 #3 of 11
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    No, TV is over coax as usual.

The cat5 provisioning is an internet option (or mandatory if you selected 100/100 internet or higher).

4. Mar 5, 2016 #4 of 11
    El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013
    So the ONT can (has to?) put out TV signal over coax and Internet signal over Ethernet?

i assume the Roamio can get its internet via Ethernet and TV via coax, and the minis in other rooms can use Ethernet only. I might not even need to create a MoCa network?

5. Mar 5, 2016 #5 of 11
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

With fios you already have a moca network. It is built in. If you have coax to the tivos, that is all you need to connect.

If you have Ethernet only to a mini, you can use that and it will automatically connect to the host. Bottom line, you need RF to anything with a tuner. Anything without (mini) can be either RF or Ethernet.

The roamio does not need an Ethernet cable. It connects via the built in moca.

6. Mar 5, 2016 #6 of 11
    El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Is there a functionality/speed loss with a Roamio using only MoCa instead of gigabit Ethernet (this is more for intranet concerns: transferring shows, etc).

7. Mar 5, 2016 #7 of 11
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    As previously mentioned, you need coax to your Roamio. Do be aware that the statements regarding Fios and MoCA are based on the assumption that you will be using one of Verizon's MoCA enabled routers. If you plan to use your own (non-Verizon) with an Ethernet install for internet, you will have to run an Ethernet cable to the Roamio and "create a MoCA network" in the settings.
    If you plan on using Verizon's router, please consider buying either their newest Gateway G1100, dual band AC and MoCA 2.0, or the older Actiontec W1424WR Rev I, 2.4GHz "N" speed and MoCA 1.1, off of Ebay, about $130 and $50 respectively.

8. Mar 5, 2016 #8 of 11
    snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    The TV signals are only on coax.

FiOS usually creates a MoCA network for use by their own devices. If you will only have TiVo equipment, then you don't need MoCA, but you don't need to go out of your way to disable MoCA. If you leave it enabled, then you'll have the choice to use it.

Having said that, MoCA on a FiOS system is as close as it ever gets to "plug and play". If my house was wired as you describe, I'd still use MoCA for all my TiVo equipment, because that allows the data streams between TiVo equipment to remain confined to the coax so that they don't compete for bandwidth on the rest of the LAN.

9. Mar 5, 2016 #9 of 11
    El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013
    I was thinking about keeping the tivos on MoCa, and everything else on Ethernet. I have an actiontec rev I router I'll be bringing with me from my "old" house.

10. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Cat 5e is shortsighted for the long run - especially now when it can be done cheaply.

11. El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Well, it fit my budget and gives me gigabit, so it's what I decided to go with.