Does my 80 hour DT series two Tivo have a IDE or SATA drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by richklein, Aug 31, 2007.

1. richklein

richklein New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Hi,

I have a Series 2 dual tuner Tivo (made by Tivo). I was curious if it has a IDE or SATA drive. I would like to expand the capabilites of the unit.

On a side note, does Instacake save my programs as well as increasing the space of the drive in Tivo?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    All Tivos use IDE with the exception of the Series 3 and Tivo HD models, which are SATA.

3. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    The DT has an IDE drive, otherwise known as a ATA or PATA (parallel ATA) drive.

The Instant Cake utility creates a fresh copy of the TiVo OS onto a new drive. It doesn't save your recordings or settings. If you want to save recordings, I'd recommend visiting mfslive.org for your upgrade needs. You can download a free CD image (an .ISO) and make a backup of your drive before you upgrade to a larger drive.

Hope that helps,
    robomeister

4. clem2270

clem2270 New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Washington...
    I second < robomeister >'s info. the tools available on the mfslive.org site work well. Although, if you not comfortable with Linux, I would recommend trying the application:

WinMFS

which is a windows based app. that allows you to create a truncated backup of your existing DVR drive. It also will allow you to make a disk to disk copy, and expand to fill the capacity of the new drive.

I just used the WinMFS software to upgrade my Humax DRT800, 80hour unit to a 472 hour unit.

All the original save programs work, and I was able to immediately download Amazon.com Unbox on TiVo videos.