Does Mini VOX UI mirror main unit UI?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by 2012Bearcat, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Nov 1, 2019 #1 of 10
    2012Bearcat

2012Bearcat New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm coming from a Windows Media Center setup with XB360 extenders. In that setup, the XB360 extenders only missed a few minor features that were available on the Media Center PC. Otherwise, the UI was almost identical to the Media Center UI.
    I'm interested to know how similar the UI on the TiVo extender units are compared to a main TiVo unit. (Mini VOX and Edge) Are there any missing features when using a Mini? Or does it look and feel like you're on a main unit?

2. Nov 1, 2019 #2 of 10
    jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    It's almost exactly like being on the main unit. Only difference being access to a few settings like cablecard and multiple tuners.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. Nov 2, 2019 #3 of 10
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The slave has no access to diagnostics. When the host forces a service connection it will download new guide data (if available). The slave does not.

4. Nov 2, 2019 #4 of 10
    2012Bearcat

2012Bearcat New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Cincinnati OH
    Thank you both for the quick responses. Nice to know that the Mini mirrors the UI so closely. Much like the XB360 extenders, some of the setup/config menus are not available - which is what I would expect.

Quick un-related follow-up: I'm pre-planning the wiring for a TiVo Edge and a pair of Minis, and the setup will be different than my current WMC7+XB360 Extenders. I use WiFi for one of the XB360 Extenders, and I want to avoid any issues w/ the TiVo via WiFi (since it's not "officially" supported).
    Question: Is this subforum the appropriate place for wiring opinions/recommendations? Or is there a better subforum for this kind of discussion?

5. Nov 2, 2019 #5 of 10
    jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    This should be fine. I use a mixture of Moca and Ethernet and don't have any issues. It is pretty reliable. It is a system that generally works very well I'm my experience.

6. Nov 2, 2019 #6 of 10
    2012Bearcat

2012Bearcat New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Cincinnati OH
    Thank you for that. A MoCa/Ethernet mixture is what I'm considering. I'll elaborate below.
    Preface: I'm no stranger to IP networking, as I work in an IT (server level) discipline. That said - I tend to overthink these type of things. :)
    Anyway... I think I may have talked myself into using the built-in MoCa in the Edge and Minis, which may make my wiring decisions a little easier. Basically, it would take my home LAN/WiFi (mostly) out of the equation.
    Having said that, I want to make sure I don't confuse the devices by connecting both MoCa and ethernet.... let me elaborate.
    TiVo Edge (Living Room)- connected to Coax Wall outlet for Cable and MoCa network connectivity. I'll connect it to WiFi for guide updates, streaming apps, etc. **note** NO home LAN capability in this room, but WiFi (802.11ac) signal is strong.
    Mini VOX (Bedroom)- connected to Coax Wall outlet for MoCa connectivity. LAN capability (RJ-45 connection to WiFi router) is also available here for streaming apps.
    Mini VOX (Basement) - connected to Coax Wall outlet for MoCA connectivity. LAN capability (RJ-45 connection to WiFi router) is also available here for streaming apps.

Essentially, the 3 devices will have their own private MoCa network among themselves for TV extending purposes. But - their standard network connections will be active on my home LAN (internet capable). It is assumed that it's not recommended to allow the Edge to stream live TV to the Minis via its built in WiFi. i.e. Edge (WiFi) > My WiFi router > LAN ports on Mini. This is why i would use MoCa for Live TV extending, etc. Hopefully you're still with me.

Will connecting 2 networks to these devices (both MoCa and standard internet network) confuse them? I want to make sure the Minis aren't searching for the Edge via ethernet. Basically only use Ethernet for streaming apps.
    Thanks for reading.

7. Nov 2, 2019 #7 of 10
    jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    I am with you, I work in IT also. What you described sounds ok. The minis will route all traffic through the main TiVo device, so if you are using WiFi for internet on that device, the minis should use it and Moca will support the local live / playback streams. I haven't tried what you are describing but sounds reasonable. If it doesn't work, you could put an AP on the primary TiVo LAN port which definitely would work and creates the bridge between LAN and Moca. Hopefully TiVo does the same with WiFi, I know they restrict streaming on the WiFi intentionally for support issues. This may change in the future as Wifi continues to improve and perform better than traditional wired networks. Good luck and report back.

8. Nov 4, 2019 #8 of 10
    2012Bearcat

2012Bearcat New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Cincinnati OH
    After reviewing a number of forum threads here and simply RTFM'ing, I was definitely overthinking it... and I didn't have a complete grasp on MoCA bridging/networking. Your last response gave me a bit to think about too. I think all the extra coax+ethernet was a bad idea. Way too complex.

After review, I would need to split my coax 3 or 4 times (2-way each time) to service every TiVo box and the Tuning Adapter with coax runs. I fear that many splits will introduce too much signal loss (-3.5dB each time), because the Tivo Edge will be on the final leg of that run. The Living Room and the cable from the street are on opposite ends of the house. Oh well.

The new plan is to pick up a MoCA bridge to get the Edge on my LAN via coax. Then just plug both Minis into Ethernet, as that is available at their locations. It's an extra 60 bucks, but it's worth it if I don't have to fight signal loss issues.

It looks like TiVo offers 2 different MoCA adapters, and I see Actiontec and Motorola are popular choices on this forum as well.
    Should I stay away from any of these? Is any one better than the other?

And one final technical-type question: Once the Edge coax cable is plugged into the MoCA network (created by a separate MoCa bridge), I know that I'll set the Edge to use MoCA for network/internet. Does the MoCA adapter on the Edge pull an IP much like a standard NIC? Does it allow for configuring it w/ a Static IP akin to a standard network adapter on a PC/laptop?

9. Nov 5, 2019 #9 of 10
    TheBigDogs

TheBigDogs Member

Oct 14, 2004

10. TheBigDogs

TheBigDogs Member

Oct 14, 2004
    A partial answer to your question regarding MoCA adapters.
    I have used the Actiontec adapters since 2014 and while they are good, they seem to have a life of about 18 months. When the last pair went bad I moved up to MoCA 2.0 using Zyxel adapters, I was so impressed with the first pair that I did an "early retirement for four other Actiontec adapters and went with Zyxel all the way. Couldn't be happier, I get very close to the 1.4 Gbps advertised speed and the reliability seems excellent.

We do not have a single foot of CAT cable in the house and it is fairly large so the solution was to use the adapters to provide both an Ethernet and CoAX delivery in three bedrooms and an office as well as our primary TV.

They are priced under $60/ea at Fry's.