Does it need to stay ON to record? Harmony remote turns off...or sleeps.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pos1, Jan 5, 2021.

1. pos1

pos1 New Member

Jan 14, 2009

Advertisements

Just bought a Harmony remote. When I hit the All Off button it turns off all the devices, including the Tivo. Or at least puts it on a sleep mode (it knows this device, so I didn't need to program it). I just know the front display turns off. Do I need to find a way for the All Off button on the Harmony remote to ignore the Tivo so it stays on...or is it still in a state where it will record?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Since Tivo never shuts off, it may be put into standby, which only shuts off the video to the TV and the front lights.

3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I would think you confirm operation by leaving everything in what you believe to 'OFF/STANDBY' and see what happens when a scheduled recording 'should' occur. Schedule something that you're NOT particularly concerned with archiving as a test? Is a "Series 3' different than the later 4+ configurations? You're fixing to find out!

4. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    No, it doesn't need to be "on". There is no way to turn it off completely other than unplug it. When you turn it "off" you're putting it in standby mode which disables the video output and turn off the front lights. It does a few more things, but those are usually related to EAS - I believe in standby mode it doesn't do EAS and won't record EAS instead of whatever is being recorded. If you leave it on, then it will tune to the EAS channel and you can lose any recordings happening at the time as they will record the EAS.

It would be a rather big bug if this operation caused recordings to fail.

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015

Advertisements

You can also set the TiVo device in Harmony to never turn off under power options. Even though it records when “off”, it boots faster and keeps your live buffers if you leave it on. Power difference is negligible.

HerronScott likes this.
  6. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    The main advantage of standby is if there is an TV alert, the TiVo will continue to record.

7. pos1

pos1 New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I ran a test this morning and it recorded find in the standby mode. All is good.