Does DTV Verify Which Tivo is Returned?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cawall, Apr 24, 2006.

1. cawall

cawall New Member

Mar 10, 2004

Advertisements

Does anyone know if DTV cares which unit is sent back for the replacement or if they just verify that they get something back? I have a fairly new R10 that I have to restart periodically as it looses picture and sound. They are sending me a refurbished replacement. (Will guarantee Tivo but not necessarily R10) I was thinking of sending back a Samsung 100 hour that won't power up ( that they did not want returned last time) that they sent the new R10 replacement for and keeping the R10. Any thoughts on if this will fly? Thanks

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I don't see how anyone here could offer any kind of authoritative response to this question. My GUESS is that they do not verify, given that they're so sloppy about recording receipt of receivers in the first place, but one never knows.

3. sluciani

sluciani TiVowner Since '99

Apr 21, 2003
    Westchester...
    They do know the ID #'s of the receivers that are currently active, however. So if you get the OK to return receiver #123 and it still shows as being "active" after you activate the replacement, it's possible that a red flag may be raised. Success may depend on which CSR you get.

/steve

4. ClemSole

ClemSole New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Try it, if they do catch it all they can do is charge you around $150.00 for the new one.

5. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002

Advertisements

It sounds like Directv already replaced this unit, you're looking for a second replacement for the same unit. :(

I guess no good comes from Directv being nice and not asking for the old unit back.

6. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    Why would you not return a unit that you are having problems with in the first place?

You obviously have an issue to take the time and go through the rigamoral of getting it replaced.

Send back the R10 that is having problems.

7. cawall

cawall New Member

Mar 10, 2004
    The Samsung was a refurbished second replacement that they did not want back. It failed right out of the box. They replaced it with brand new R10. Now the R10 is having issues but it still works. I have to send one back so I would rather send them the Samsung that does not work at all rather than the R10 that does so I have a spare. They would only commit to a Tivo unit not to an R10 or what it would be. I'm waiting for FeEx to arrive today.

8. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I know of someone who sent a regular receiver back in exchange for a tivo unit and it was not a problem. I am not sure the place that receives the receivers does any kind of checking as to what they are supposed to be getting, I imagine they make a general notation that they received a receiver.

9. cawall

cawall New Member

Mar 10, 2004
    FedEx just arrived with a brand spanking new R10. It amazes me how they tell you that you can't have something and then it shows up anyway.

10. tryptoneCRG

tryptoneCRG DirecTV Underboss

Apr 22, 2006
    the edge of...
    Im not sure what would happen if you send back the samsung but i know that D* does have the info on which box they are supposed to receive. Not sending back the R-10 seems like a good way to get charged $249 on your account for non-returned equipment. Its possible you could get away with it, but its just as possible that this kind of dishonesty could wind up giving you more headaches then you planned for.
    rick

11. Giorgio

Giorgio New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    I know that they track the asscess card very closly..
    On a receiver that I replaced they denied access to me because I did not use the new card, when I switched and activated the new card there was no problem..
    However they do track the receivers also sooner or later it will show up..and then u will have a problem good luck

12. tnedator

tnedator New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    If you 'accidentally' send back the wrong receiver and they catch it, you should be able to explain that you (or your wife, always good to blame it on the wife :) ) sent badk the wrong receiver by accident. Ask them to please send your other receiver back and you will send them the correct one.

13. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    This is a good point. You'll get caught when you try to activate the access card. They won't activate the one you were supposed to return and switching them won't work.

As far as the honesty is concerned (and I'm usually the first person to jump on that issue), it seems like a gray area to me, given the circumstances.

But, I suspect that they will nail you and charge you for the equipment.

Given that they did better than what they said they would do, I think you should do exactly what you said you would do.

Only seems right.

14. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    When I got replacement TiVos, they did not come with access cards. I was instructed to use the old access card (which meant I had to call DTV and have the reassignment done.) I was told NOT to return the access card with the box I sent back.