Does DLP = Plasma?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by johnchart, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1 of 12
    johnchart

johnchart New Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Confused about HDTV types. Are DLP sets EXACTLY THE SAME as plasma sets? Isn't LCD different from both of them?

John

2. Jan 9, 2006 #2 of 12
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    No they are not the same. Each technology has pro's and cons. IMHO Plasma is probbaly the best for picture quality but it is also the most expensive. My personal prefernce given price/performance/screen size is for LCD but there is a huge range in quality so you need to shop carefully. I'm getting a 60" Sony LCD.

3. Jan 9, 2006 #3 of 12
    bap

bap pab

Dec 6, 2003
    North o'...
    No, DLP and plasma are two very different technologies. Take a look at the overview at www.audioholics.com for a good description of all the different technologies.

-Bruce

4. Jan 9, 2006 #4 of 12
    kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
  5. Jan 9, 2006 #5 of 12
    johnchart

johnchart New Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Thanks folks for your input on my question. I currently have a Toshiba 51H93 rear projection & am debating the move to plasma or DLP. This will help me make the proper choice.

John

PS: I have what I call the "fever" in this matter. Even tho the Toshiba is a good HDTV set, I can't wait to get another one!

6. Jan 9, 2006 #6 of 12
    DickK

DickK New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Northern...
  7. Spiky

Spiky Macman

May 30, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Actually, flat LCDs are the most expensive of the technologies discussed in this thread.

8. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I gotta wonder if plasma will be around much longer. The only reason it's still around seems to be that it's cheaper to make bigger plasma TVs compared to the other technologies. Seems to me that plasma is a dead technology already?

9. DickK

DickK New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Northern...
    I doubt that Panasonic and the other manufacturers of plasma TVs would agree with that. From what I read they sold a bunch of them this Christmas season. For sets in size range of the 40's and 50's plasma has the best value. LCDs dominate below that and DLP/projection sets appear dominant above that. Eventually one or more of the technologies may dissappear but I wouldn't expect that for a while yet. And right now plasma seems very much alive in the marketplace.

10. Chmeeee

Chmeeee New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    Just to clarify, there is LCD and LCD rear projection, which are not at all similar. LCD a flat panel that can be wall hung, like a Plasma. LCDs are generally sharper and capable of higher resolution, but don't provide as much of a lifelike picture and tend to have poor black levels. LCD rear projection and DLP TV's meanwhile are bigger, cannot be wall hung, but are actually lighter and always cheaper than a comparable flat panel. They also get much bigger (70+ inches).

11. tgibbs

tgibbs New Member

Sep 22, 2002
    DLP is a very different technology, using an array of tiny moveable mirrors illuminated by a spinning color wheel. Great picture, but some people see rainbow fringes when they move their eyes (due to the fact that the screen is "really" only showing one color at any given time)--usually more of a problem in a dark room. Sort of like the "screendoor" effect on plasma screens--drives some people nuts, others don't notice it at all.

12. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    I think the difference is if you _point out_ screendoor (or vertical banding also), most people notice it and hate you for the rest of their lives. Rainbows (and the headaches) OTOH seem to either be there, or not, for a particular individual.