Does CADE wipe out pairing information?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jfh3, Aug 19, 2007.

1. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I remember reading a post a while back, maybe even from TivoJerry, that indicates a Clear and Delete Everything also wipes out some data used by the installed CableCARDs and that re-pairing and/or re-validation is required after a CADE operation, but I can't find it.

Am I remembering this correctly?

Can anyone verify this from actual experience, either with the S3 or the THD?

I want to try a clean image in an S3, but I really don't want to have to re-pair the cards, at least now.

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I never tried it, but I have also heard the same thing from multiple sources.

In theory, it should not be difficult to get them re-paired and authorized, assuming you can get a hold of a knowledgaeable CSR at your cable company.

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Fortunately, I'm not worried about getting them re-paired, if I need to.

I was just looking for someone who can confirm it one way or the other from actual experience before I start playing around.

4. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Yes, it creates new keys. However, many cable companies don't actually pair the cards, so you might not have an issue.

5. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Thanks.

Mine are paired and validated, so if the data value changes, I'll have to get them repaired.

Do you happen to know if I take out drive A (with current proper paired cards), replace with drive B (which may not have current pairing info on disk), and then put drive A in again, will the pairing still be OK?

Or is there any data that's flashed to the CableCARDs?

6. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    If you put the drive back in that it was paired with initially, you'll be fine. There is nothing flashed on the cards (per se).

You say they are paired and validated, but just because they took the information and sent down activation, it doesn't mean they are actually paired. All cable companies collect all the right information, but many/most just activate the cards, and don't do any real pairing.

But you'll find out for sure soon enough when you put in a new drive.

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Good. Thought that would be the case, but wasn't sure.

Yes, but before mine were validated, I didn't get CCI 0x02 channels correctly.

Or I may just wimp out and pop the cable cards before I power up with the B drive until I put the A drive back in. I'm primarily interested in seeing if the drive will boot into Tivo properly, though the system tester in me will probably want to see what happens with drive B and the cablecards in.

8. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    THIS IS NOT CORRECT!!!!

There is data flashed to the card (information about the host it was in). As soon as it sees a new drive, it will assume it's been placed in a different host (same as a C&DE would do), and generate a new data number.

9. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I can vouch for this. The CableCARD and Host numbers won't change, but the Data number will. I swapped the card slots and the cards got new Data numbers , but when I swapped them back instead of getting the same original numbers they got 2 completely different numbers. So while the card could display channels with CCI 0x00 (most) it could not display any with CCI 0x02 (premium channels).

It took me 4 calls into Comcast and over 90 minutes on the phone before I could get someone who not only knew how to pair the cards, but also would do it without insisting on a truck roll. YMMV depending on how competent your cable company is.

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    That seals it. Looks like drive B will go in only after I've popped the cards. :)