Does anyone own a Roamio whose Optical output works after entering standby ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Scott Wright, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Feb 4, 2018 #1 of 24
    Scott Wright

Scott Wright New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    My new Roamio OTA ALWAYS drops audio after going into standby. I normally leave it set to Dolby Digital. To correct this I have to toggle the audio setting from DD to PCM and then the audio comes on. After that I can toggle it back to DD.

I just wonder if this configuration works for anyone because it sure looks like a software problem to me! Customer service now forcing me into a hardware exchange which I doubt does anything more than waste a few more hours of my time.

JoeKustra likes this.
  2. Feb 4, 2018 #2 of 24
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    First, by "new" is this using Hydra? If so, there are some bugs in this area. A replacement Roamio will be no different.

Is your thread title accurate? I'm guessing you have no audio when leaving Standby. I use Standby on my Roamio with Hydra. I'll have to try optical.

Update: Yep, no optical audio with DD enabled when going on-line from Standby. I'll open a support ticket. Case Number 07688145

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    krkaufman likes this.
  3. Feb 4, 2018 #3 of 24
    Scott Wright

Scott Wright New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Yes, no audio when leaving Standby. Yes, this is with Hydra. My take was that if EVERY unit did this then wouldn't customer service at least tell me? I did try an HDMI to optical converter/switch with an optical output. It never gave more than 2 channel sound so it wasn't a workaround. The only thing about it was at least there was some audio, just not Dolby. Customer service is making me replace the box before they consider software support. It is maddening.

4. Feb 4, 2018 #4 of 24
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry. I also opened a ticket on TiVo's support forum. It's usually a waste of time and just attracts spam. At this time Hydra is a minority and optical audio is a minority of that. I never had it happen with HDMI only. However with HDMI it's always DD even when it shouldn't be. That's means menus without a video window. I have a Mini VOX but it feeds my TV directly, so no way to test the optical.

5. Feb 4, 2018 #5 of 24
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Don't put the Roamio in standby, and don't use power save.

rpiotro likes this.
  6. Feb 4, 2018 #6 of 24
    Scott Wright

Scott Wright New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    I thought of that but it is stupid to have to do this. My programmable remote always turns OFF/ON devices when the mode is changed so it sort of defaults this way for me. I just want it fixed. Why no multichannel sound support on the HDMI port?

7. Feb 4, 2018 #7 of 24
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    HDMI does support Dolby and multichannel sound. Sounded like you were trying to use an HDMI to optical converter though.

Is this a Logitech Harmony remote? I seem to recall others changing that so it doesn't put it in Standby.

Scott

8. Feb 4, 2018 #8 of 24
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    In 'Options' for the Activity for Harmony programming there's a setting to disable 'Turn Off Unused Devices'.

-KP

9. Feb 4, 2018 #9 of 24
    Scott Wright

Scott Wright New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    My AVR doesn't support HDMI audio decode so I bought an HDMI switch that does (or at least claims to). However, it only ever showed 2CH on my AVR. I have bought a new Denon AVR that does support HDMI audio decode, but I'm not holding out hope for it based on my tests.

10. Scott Wright

Scott Wright New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    I'll give it a try. The point still is that the thing is defective.

11. Scott Wright

Scott Wright New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    I'm not saying that HDMI doesn't support muti-channel, PCM does as well. My claim is that the Roamio OTA doesn't support it except through the failing optical port.

12. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Except that's wrong as my brother and son are both using HDMI on their TiVo's with an Onkyo receiver and a Panasonic receiver and getting Dolby multichannel audio. I'm using optical because my Onkyo receiver is an older one (13 years?) and doesn't have any HDMI ports. :)

Scott

13. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    What HDMI switch and does it support Dolby? Your new AVR will work fine.

Scott

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm using an older Yamaha RX-V867 that has five rear HDMI ports. It's only HDCP 1.x so I can't use it if I go to 4k. Maybe later this year. It has two optical ports and I can match them with an HDMI port for audio. That's how I could duplicate your bug so easily. Good luck with the Denon. You will be happy.

15. Scott Wright

Scott Wright New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    I bought this and used it inline with the Tivo and never got DD to appear on my receiver. That is the only conclusion I could draw. Either that or the new device I bought doesn't do what it says it does.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077LFQCZK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

16. Scott Wright

Scott Wright New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    My new AVR is Denon AVR-S920W. I got the receiver for $399 so not a bad price, but I'm dropping alot of money to fix someone else's problem. I went ahead and opted for the replacment Tivo based upon my testing with the $25 fix. I maybe should have waited until my receiver gets here which is tomorrow, but I'm trying to put the problem to bed. Nothing in the Tivo paperwork says that HDMI supports multichannel sound. It is developer's choice what they do and don't support. The Indian tech support people didn't really have a deep working knowledge of the product. PCM is only 2 channel for instance whereas PCM can support much more than optical as far as bandwidth.

The switch I tried is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077LFQCZK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

17. Scott Wright

Scott Wright New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    OK thanks for that tip as it now doesn't turn off at least. I guess the minimalist would have just done that and been done with it. The electrical engineer in me is stubborn. Maybe too stubborn but I believe the Tivo should work for $400. It's not some crappy throw away at that price. (Well, maybe it is)

18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    You are seriously new here, there's other bugs that are way worse than this one.
    For example, Tivo can't even keep their time sync servers working as they should so your Tivo can randomly get thrown 2 mins. off. And they stupidly slave their UI to their backend servers to capture everything you press. So guess what, when their servers are having problems you get to see spinning blue circles when you try to do anything.

I'm trying to help you avoid known bugs with standby and power save.

19. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    If saving energy is your objective, get a Kill-O-Watt and see how much power you save with using standby. You will wonder why you even wasted a second of your time with this issue.

20. Scott Wright

Scott Wright New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Yes, I'm new; trying to escape my Channel Master DVR software bug but I think this pile is bigger than that one! It sounds seriously messed up.

I couldn't find where to change my power save settings. I know I set them during configuration but don't see it as a menu option now.