Does anyone have Insight Digital Cable and TiVo? please reply!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tjwright, Feb 15, 2006.

1. tjwright

tjwright New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Short version:
    Insight Communications tells me that their digital cable service is NOT COMPATIBLE with TiVo.

I want to know who has a TiVo unit connected to Insight Communications digital cable service running through the vanilla Motorola set-top box. Please chime in if you do.

Whole story:
    I had normal (no set-top box) analog cable and TiVo for months - no problems but the normal slightly degraded signal I've read that you can expect w/ analog.
    Upgraded to digital to clear up the picture - they gave me the Motorola DCT2000 series set-top box. When it works, the picture is great. Problem is, it doesn't work reliably, and completely loses picture quite often.

I have no problems changing channels w/ the IR blaster. The problem is that the cable box loses signal and the cable box displays a "this channel is temporarily unavailable" error message on the TV. This happens quite frequently, and outages range from a few minutes to several hours.

I know that the problem is either in the set-top box or the feed to the house. But convincing Insight of that has proven difficult. They have a standard "you can't use TiVo with our digital service, it's not compatible" answer to any problem as soon as they see the TiVo.

Of course, it's no surprise that they have a better set-top box w/ built-in DVR that they rent for $13/month.... hmm... see the connection?

They have given me explanations ranging from "the TiVo is an active device and not a passive device, and it doesn't let the signal go through it", to "the TiVo tries to take over", to "it's not compatible with our programming". When I ask why does it work 40-80% of the time if it's not compatible, their answer is "the TiVo is compatible with SOME of our programming, but not all of it, and the programming changes". I feel that all of the above is completely fabricated you-know-what.

I know this could go in the Help section, but I put it here because it's kind of a call for people to just raise their hand and say "I have that setup and it works fine for me". I'm on a mission to prove them wrong so they'll either give me a working set-top, fix the feed going into my house, or fix the feed that hits the box.

2. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Since you're getting an error message from the cable box, disconnect the TiVo, make the error appear and call the cable company. Put the TiVo in a closet so they can't try something silly like blaming a disconnected box. ;)

3. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Who says its better?

4. indyrobb

indyrobb Member TCF Club

Feb 9, 2005
    Indianapolis...
    We have 1 DCT2000 and 3 DCT1700 units in our house, and the only issue we currently have is the channel not changing correctly, and that's very infrequent.

When we had only the DCT2000 we were seeing the same issue you are, and found out that the OnQ splitter in the closet was causing signal loss. They did some rerouting of the signal and we've not had an issue since.

Our insight guys never have had an issue with our Tivos hooked up. They should do a signal check on the jack the TV is on, then trace it back to a splitter which may be outside.

Also, do you have Insight's high speed service? If you are having an issue with staying connected, it could be another indication of a low signal.

5. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I immediately thought of low signal too when I read this. I had a similar problem at my house (with Comcast), and they fixed it by boosting the signal by replacing a cable outside (had been chewed through by animals :)).

I doubt it has anything to do with your TiVo.

6. tjwright

tjwright New Member

Feb 15, 2006

I didn't mean a better set-top than Tivo, I meant that they have a better set-top box than the vanilla one that I they give digital subscribers. Mine doesn't even have S-Video... how pathetic.

The set-top with DVR that they push on you has S-Vid, fiber optic digital audio out, cable digital audio out, and component video out. That's how they should all be... even the non-DVR box.

7. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    Most likely you have a problem with a box or cables, but possibility that TiVo is at fault is not excluded. Your TiVo may change a channel to non-existing channel and box would display a message that signal is not available. Do what dgh suggested, put your TiVo in a closet and let cable company troubleshoot the problem.

8. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    You are (mostly) correct. The problem could also be in-house wiring / cabling / splitters / etc.
    If you're on a mission ...

The quickest fix should be to call up your cable company. Don't mention Tivo. Tell them you have a problem with your "Signal Quality". Use those exact words ... "Signal Quality". Tell them you would like them to send a technician with a spectrum analyzer to determine if the problem is inside your house (wiring, equipment, etc.) or before the tap (cable's problem). Tell them you would like them to measure both at the tap AND at your customer premesis equipment.

That should get your cable company to send someone out with the equipment (and knowledge) to figure out what's wrong (and where).

And / or ... do what dgh suggested above.

If you're really on a mission ...

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cablesignalquality.html
    Ask your cable company for their complaint process and follow it. Note: it should involve them sending someone to your house with a spectrum analyzer to measure signal levels.

9. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    Also, BTW ...

Most cable boxes have a way to get into some diagnostic screens to show signal levels and other things ...

Don't know about the DCT2000 ... but you may want to look into this / explore. If the DCT2000 has some decent diagnostic screens it may let you identify (or at least get an idea of) the problem yourself.

10. beejay

beejay Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Richmond, IN
    You've already got a lot of good advice...but if you are still looking for proof the Insight works with TiVo...

I've had a DCT2244 from Insight hooked up to a TiVo for more than a year and don't have the trouble you describe. (I do, occasionally, have a missed channel change.)