1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone have a Series 2 (or 3) Tivo that's still loading the Program Guide?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Eliz1, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Eliz1

Eliz1 New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    My Series 2 Tivo, with a lifetime subscription, last successfully loaded the program guide on 2/17/18. It otherwise functions fine, but we no longer have the program guide so cannot record from season passes, etc. We connect fine (via Internet) to Tivo, and it proceeds through downloading, but when it moves on to loading the guide it stops at 1% and we get an S03 error.

We've already done a lot of troubleshooting via Tivo Customer Service and web searches, and the upshot seems to be that the problem (for Series 2 & 3 Tivos) is likely related to the latest Tivo software update, and not to a failing hard-drive or other box malfunction.

So my question is: Does anyone have a Series 2 (or 3) Tivo that's still loading the entire Program Guide without any problem?

Answering this question will help us decide how to move forward.
    Thx!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Error S03 seem to happen when there are alot of channels in your lineup.
    You need to run "Clear Program Info & ToDo List"

DO NOT RE-RUN GUIDED SETUP or you will get stuck in it.

I have a Series 3 still and it never gets S03 because I am OTA and there are only about 40-50 channels.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    tommage1 and kpeters59 like this.
  3. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Do you mean the original Series 3?

My TiVoHD picked up guide data yesterday and its To Do list shows programs through Friday 3/23.

4. Eliz1

Eliz1 New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Thank you! I had read that people get stuck in Guided Setup (when they get S03 during the program guide load, then get stuck in an endless loop), and thankfully never tried it and have been doing my best to avoid doing it at all costs. Also, I've only done external re-boots, as I seem to recall reading that an internal re-boot could brick the unit, too. Based on other reading/research I'm somewhat worried "Clear Program Info & ToDo List" could possibly brick it, and "Clear and Delete Everything" is even more likely to.

I did run "Clear Thumb Ratings and Suggestions" without any problem (the while holding my breath!); however, I don't use those ratings (except for hitting a thumb rating by accident once in awhile) so there probably wasn't much to clear.

We are using our Tivo with a digital box and roof antenna, which I think means there aren't a whole lot of channels, right? I did deselect all but the very most basic channels via the digital box, for what that was worth, but still only get to 1% loading.

I've also been warned that doing "Kickstart 57" would almost for certain brick the unit.

5. Eliz1

Eliz1 New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Yes, I mean the original Series 2 or 3. Thanks for clarifying! Is that what you have, an original Series 3? If so, I'm very glad to hear it's downloading the full two weeks of program guide info! Anyone else (especially with an original Series 2 Tivo)?

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Define internal reboot? If you mean the menu restart, we call it a warm reboot.
    external Reboot? If you mean pulling the power to reboot, we call it a cold reboot.
    None of these thing would brick it. Not even the Clear Program & To Do list.
    It may take a few many hours, even let it run over night.

Clearing Thumbs would not do much, just clear your your Thumbs up and downs for programs.

7. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    No, I don't have an original Series 3. I have a TiVoHD. See the photos at Weaknees' comparison page:

TiVo® HD DVR Comparison Chart - compare Series3 and Series4 models

My TiVoHD is in the column which has the header TiVo HD (Discontinued) -- the third column from the right.

The original Series 3 is in the column on the far right. TiVo Series3

The later models in the Series 3 group have slightly different features than the original Series 3 model.

P.S. My TiVoHD is on Software version 11.0n.Kn-01-2-652

See also TiVo digital video recorders - Wikipedia

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  8. Eliz1

Eliz1 New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Hi. Sorry, by internal reboot I mean selecting "Restart the Tivo DVR" from the Tivo "Restart or Reset the System" menu. We've done the cold "pulling the power" reboot several times, but not done a warm reboot. I really didn't think the Clearing Thumbs would help, but in all my discussions and reading about our problem I swear I've read or been warned the other things could do harm, so was worried the Thumbs might, too.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Some of those thing you heard may be unfounded.

10. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I know what you mean, but if my TiVo was flaky, I would avoid re-running Guided Setup until I had exhausted all other options.

My list of "all other options" would start with learning more about what I was dealing with -- including collecting the specific number of the software my TiVo was on and its specific model number, and doing more research.

11. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Big yep about running guided setup on an S3 that has not connected in awhile (setup for cable). It will be a permanent S03. If you have not run updates for awhile you can leave it hooked up for a few days, you will get S03s for awhile but it will work out. I have switched all my S3s to OTA, the problem is with S3s with cable. S2s kind of the same though it can happen with OTA too I think. But again will work itself out if you leave it hooked up for awhile, just leave it alone until you see a successful connection. Never run guided setup when you are getting S03 errors. Even then, I bought an S3 setup for cable and let it connect (it had not connected in quite awhile). It connected correctly, no S03. I THOUGHT I was safe, so I ran guided setup to switch to my provider. Permanent S03 loop. If an S3 has not connected in awhile even if it gets a successful connection it can STILL be updating in the background, for maybe a day or more. So before running guided setup best to leave it connected and updating for at least a few days, maybe a week to be safe...............

12. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Oh, as for the original question, I have multiple S3s and S2s that connect correctly (as of a month ago on the S2s). The S3s I use ethernet, the S2s a wireless G adapter, I assume that is what you are using (you mention connecting by "internet"?) If you are trying to use a phone line for your S2 maybe try a wireless adapter instead, not sure how good their support is now for phone line connections. The 1% does not sound good. Maybe copy your drive (WinMFS or MFS Tools), then try and clear and delete everything on the COPY, keep your original intact.

13. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I don't think you mentioned if you have been using the S2 constantly for awhile and it just started having this problem? If so could be a drive issue. If it's been sitting around awhile and you are just starting to use it again that's a whole different ball game as mentioned in the above posts.

14. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    My S2 units, at our family summer home, takes awhile to connect with constant S03 issues. Like the previous posted stated, it only happens after it's been disconnected for awhile but they eventually populate and the S03 error goes away. My two S3's are having no issues.

15. Eliz1

Eliz1 New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Hi. Thanks for the input so far. Our S2 unit (model TCD540080; software 9.3.2c.2016.09.10-1318-01-2-540; IR Database Version 746) has been connected continuously for a very long time, and has not successfully loaded the program guide since 2/17 (so ran out of program info around 3/3). Before that it was working perfectly, and it's working fine now, but does not have program info so season passes aren't working and nothing I record has titles.

Before this it was connected via phone, but we have now connected via ethernet. We also tried connecting via wireless. In both modes it connected to Tivo fine, and downloaded guide data, but then the guide data wouldn't load past 1% and we got the dreaded S03 error. We have now had it connected via ethernet about a week, and every night it tries it’s nightly updates to no avail. I’ve tried forced connections as well. All result in S03.

I'm aware it could be a hard-drive issue, and we can go down that fix route, but this is not what I'm hearing from Tivo. As I mentioned in my first post, I have done a lot of research/calling to Tivo, and the upshot seems to be my problem stems from Tivo's recent big software/guide program update, and I should be very cautious moving forward with standard fix approaches due to the risk of completely bricking the unit.

Tivo Customer Service, through various troubleshooting calls, eventually told me the Series 2 Tivos are no longer able to handle their upgraded program guide, and that is my problem. Some S2s are getting the S03 error, per Tivo, while others load data partially (to, say 40% or so) and are basically working to some capacity, so are not exactly obsolete and are not being called such. Per Tivo, Series 3's are doing better after the big Tivo software/program guide upgrade, but also having problems with getting program info, and they're working on fixes for S3 issues. So the upshot, per Tivo, is I now need a newer box.

If this is true, there's no point approaching it as a hard-drive issue, which is why I've asked if anyone has an S2 (or S3) that is successfully loading the program guide. So far no one has said they have an S2 currently loading the program guide.

16. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Don't rely too much on what Tivo customer support says, especially on an older model. Since they switched to off-shore most of the time "I" know more than the tech support person I talk to ;) I did say mine were connecting correctly within the past month, two of them, one just a couple weeks ago. I will try it again for fun. If yours was working fine with dial up why not try that again a couple times? Not sure about ethernet on S2, you must be using some sort of adapter as an S2 has no ethernet port? Bottom line though, take what Tivo says with a grain of salt since Rovi, copying the drive would be easy really, S2 drives pretty small. Set original aside, test whatever you want on the copy, can always make another off the original. If the copy is working ok (ie at least the same as the original), you could scan the original for errors/bad sectors whatever. WinMFS, MFS Tools for the copy.

17. wtkflhn

wtkflhn Member

May 12, 2006
    Metairie, La
    I have a S2 TIVO and it does just fine with the program guide. The box thinks it is connected to analog cable and it downloads program info the analog cable chs. In reality, I just use this box to record from my C band satellite dish. It is recording from a ch 3 modulator, so I just use that channel, but I checked and it has a full program guide. I think TIVO wants you to buy a newer box. I don't know what you problem is, but it well may be the hard drive. If you want to spend the money, I'd just get one from Weaknees that has an image on it. Good luck.

Mikeguy likes this.
  18. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Am trying an S2 now, last connection was 2/8/2018, it's at 15% right now (so not stuck at 1%). Will let you know how it goes, in fact over the next few days I'm going to connect all my S2s and S3s, I like to do them once a month minimum anyway.

Mikeguy and Eliz1 like this.
  19. Eliz1

Eliz1 New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Hi. Thanks! Sorry if I was unclear. The problem with loading the program guide started while we were still connecting via phone. We'd been connected via phone for eons. The S03 error code was the reason we switched to connecting via wireless and, then, ethernet. It connects fine via each of the three modes, but gets the S03 error on all three when trying to load the program guide. You do know your Tivos! My husband is, indeed, using an adapter to connect via ethernet, and he frets that could possibly be "squeezing" data, but wireless worked the same in terms of the program guide load problem. Ethernet connection is faster, in general (e.g., when downloading program guide info) so doesn't seem "squeezed".

I do hear you, in terms of Customer Service. This is our second lifetime subscription Tivo Series 2, and they've been so trouble free I've only had to call CS once in a while, when the connection phone numbers no longer worked. This time, info was frustratingly varied when truly trying to troubleshoot, but grumblings about Tivo upgrades being the source of issues for S2s (and S3s to lesser extent) loading program data kept consistently rumbling to the surface. So I read about this and it seems there had been a big program guide update (including non-renewal by Rovi of a contract with a company that previously handled the guide).

I do like the idea of copying the drive and experimenting with the copy; however, I worry that any length of disconnection of the original drive in my old faithful Tivo from mothership Tivo could result in the need for a Guided Setup, from which the unit couldn't recover.

We have a couple other Tivos with lifetime subscriptions, Series 2, but unfortunately had no idea they needed to connect fairly frequently to be kept activated, so I don't know if they will come back to life. We're going to try that, however. We plan to try connecting one of them to a different TV before messing with our old faithful Tivo unit that's still recording.
    Thx again!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  20. Eliz1

Eliz1 New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    P.S. I really hope your S2s and S3s load the program guides without a hitch! That will be good news for us.