1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anybody like Hydra?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by IronHammer, Jun 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. IronHammer

IronHammer New Member

Jun 8, 2015
    I quit using Tivo completely about 8 months ago (way before Hydra came out). I wanted a more Roku-ish experience. So we bought a RokuTV with tuners built in. Of course, there is no DVR in the RokuTV so we purchased Hulu TV ($40/month). While it took some getting used to, we ultimately find it extremely difficult to find and set our shows to record (particularly specials...Oscars anybody?). In all that time, I never cancelled my Tivo account. So, now we are thinking that Hulu really hates us and won't give us a grid guide. So I started searching Tivo stuff and found out about Hydra. To me, it looks like Hulu's UI on steroids. I am seeing a LOT to like about Hydra. I love the idea of putting specific apps on the main menu where you can get to them easily (Hello Plex my old friend!!) But the general vibe I'm getting is that people say it's bad. BUT, is it bad as in "I hate paradigm shifts" or bad, as in "There are features missing/broken" in Hydra. I can live with switching back and forth between Roku for our other apps but I'd like to have that Hulu-ish UI but WITH a guide!

Thoughts?

2. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    There are plenty of people that like Hydra...a recent survey here showed TCF split down the middle. I like it quite a bit, and don't miss any of the things that were not carried forward. You should, however, read through the threads to see what is not supported. For example, direct Tivo to Tivo transfers don't work, but viewing from the remote DVR does. If none of the "missing" features are important to you, go for it!

3. IronHammer

IronHammer New Member

Jun 8, 2015
    I have an older Roamio OTA unit. Will Hydra be very slow on it you think? Also, I've fallen in love with the Roku Remote app for my phone. Does Tivo's remote app work well?

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Hydra on a basic/OTA Roamio has some small performance hits with the guide. With Hydra, you get more information about the program you have selected. This added text has to be displayed, so it takes longer. It's easy to get used to and is still faster that using a Series4. Also, the grid guide moves in 2 hour jumps only, similar to what you get with a grid guide and the Forward button. The Right button works differently with Hydra.

I use a Roku Ultra. Any comparison to a TiVo would be unfair.

5. IronHammer

IronHammer New Member

Jun 8, 2015
    So, basically, Hydra on Roamio is a bit slow but tolerable. Nothing new there.

How about Hulu Plus programming...will OnePass find shows that are in Hulu Plus's lineup of channels? I am getting more excited about getting home and firing up my old lovable Roamio! LOL!

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Like I said, it's the guide with more content. I don't have a Hulu sub.

You really should get the VOX. With voice search it's like having Wikipedia ability. Nothing links to the TiVo for a 1P, but it's fun to play with.

7. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Never switched to Hydra. I really like the ability to copy a show from from Tivo unit to another. I find the text interface of my Roamio to be just fine. I can't figure out what Hydra will give me that is worth switching. Maybe I am just ignorant.

8. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Does Hydra remove the ability to transfer shows between units?

I really can't vote either way because I haven't tried it, to be fair. At this moment I don't, as I'm not interested in some of the things about it especially the guide restriction (no more choice and the one they chose is the one I don't like). But that's just me. picky picky picky :D

samccfl99 likes this.
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I don’t know if it also applies to Hydra boxes, but Hulu OnePass linkage is currently broken.

See: Hulu no longer an option on Onepass

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Via the TiVo UI, yes, which also breaks PyTivo uploads; TiVo Online is supposed to be available for initiating transfers, but I’ve heard poor results.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's a funny question. My Hydra Roamio (1TB) is 60% full. It never recorded a single program. Magic. :D

samccfl99 and Mikeguy like this.
  12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think you made your point. :cool:

13. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Now now, at least OP didn't make it a poll.

The week is young though.

CloudAtlas likes this.
  14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I have had zero problems transferring using TiVo online. I don’t do it a lot but it has worked every time.

aaronwt likes this.
  15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just to be clear... with a Hydra box sending or receiving?

16. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Oddly, I've done it for all the shows, such as when I'm replacing an existing machine and I transfer the Passes and content of 'My Shows'.

Conversely, I've gone into my Tivo account to just move one thing, more than once, and it didn't do anything.

It's been a while, though. Fortunately, I have my situation in a good way right now where I can (all wireless) either watch a show from the other machine, or I can transfer a show quickly (HD one hour show in 4-6 minutes). Hope that continues, as it seems like things change every now and then, and my wireless ability is diminished.

17. Joe3

Joe3 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    First, look at how much Tivo cost, plus paying monthly cost or up front cost for the Tivo data. Then look at what you're getting from hydra and what you are loosing. If you tend to like the sizzle over the stake, the pretty over the practical, go with Hydra. But if you like the ability to do more with your tivo than saying, "oooh, how pretty," stay with what gives you more practical flexibility. But to me the best about Tivo is neither of these, but that they gave me a choice until all is equal.

18. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    My two bolts are both hydra.

krkaufman likes this.
  19. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Or you just want a simple to use dvr. Hydra is, to some of us, easier to use and consistent in its use. It works simply and easily with a minimum of bugs (none have given me any pain).

TiVo hasn’t been “steak” for years.