Does 6.3(a) HAVE a Favorites List?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wmccain, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1 of 19
    wmccain

wmccain Custom AV Consultant

Dec 15, 2002
    Palo Alto,...

Advertisements

Finally got 6.3a installed today, and I am a bit puzzled. I have never used the Favorite Channels List, so it is not an important feature for me — but the feature appears to have been removed in this release. I understood from "Release Notes" that the Favorites List would become empty (and mine was empty anyway). But I cannot find any way in 6.3a to enter a Favorite Channels List at all!

Under "Channel Settings", where "Channels You Receive" and "Favorite Channels" used to be, there is now just "Channel List", which turns out to perform the "Channels You Receive" function. There is no way (that I have been able to discover) to enter a "favorites" list. However, the guide can still be configured to "All", "Channels You Receive", and "Favorite Channels" — but only the first two options work, the last one is "empty".

2. Oct 3, 2006 #2 of 19
    Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    The "Channels you receive" and "Favorites" lists have been combined, to mark a channel as a favorite give the channel thumbs up.

3. Oct 3, 2006 #3 of 19
    SpankyInChicago

SpankyInChicago New Member

May 13, 2005
    Wow. That is actually a really good idea. Is this something that is pretty common on all newer Tivo software versions?

I always hated managing the two lists. To have it all in one place makes a heck of a lot of sense.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #4 of 19
    Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    My Stand Alone Series2 is running 7.3.1 and it also is using the combined list.

5. Oct 3, 2006 #5 of 19
    Cudahy

Cudahy New Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Cudahy,...

Advertisements

I don't like that at all. No favorites? Now we have to go through all the channels we receive?
    Since I have no problem with speed and no need for folders, I'd rather keep the 3.1.
    I guess there's no choice though.

6. Oct 3, 2006 #6 of 19
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    There's still "Favorites" and "Channels I Receive", you just manage them from the same screen instead of two screens like the old software.

Before you had to go to the CIR screen and uncheck what you didn't get, or check what you did,
    then after that you went to another screen and checked them again to make them Favorites.

Now you do it both from the same screen,
    check them as "Channels I Receive" and Thumbs Up to mark them as Favorites.

phox

7. Oct 3, 2006 #7 of 19
    bwaldron

bwaldron New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Brandon, FL
    Seems like a nice UI change to me.

I don't have 6.3a yet, though...my phone line is unplugged until I get a better sense of whether the audio dropout issue is as widespread as it appears and, if so, whether a 6.3b to fix it is in the offing. I'll live with slow but steady for now.

8. Oct 3, 2006 #8 of 19
    SpankyInChicago

May 13, 2005
    I am stuck with three HR10-250s and a SAT-T60 so all of my Tivos are running really old software.

Although it seems like 6.3a is having some problems, I am looking forward to getting it. I just hope that I don't end up with the audio dropout problems.

9. Oct 3, 2006 #9 of 19
    LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Indeed, I *never* set up a Favorites on my other boxes because I hated managing two lists. Doing it from a single screen is awesome, but not present on my SD 6.2 boxes so it must be a SA TiVo 7.x feature.

10. SpankyInChicago

May 13, 2005
    Yep. Same here.

Amazing that little changes like this add so much to the usability.

Now I know they consider it a feature, but only if they would give us the option of allowing the unit to auto-detect the channels we receive. I understand that Dish DVRs allow this. And I know DirecTV doesn't because they want us to be aware of all the fine channels we aren't subscribed to receive, but it would still be a good feature to have.

11. bbodin

bbodin New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Houston
    by the way, this is all explained on the screen where you setup the "Channels you recieve". It says at the right "Press thumbs up to add this channel to your favorites list". So someone wasn't reading the instructions :)

12. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I don't even have 6.3 yet, and I have a pretty good grasp on the situation.

phox

13. wmccain

wmccain Custom AV Consultant

Dec 15, 2002
    Palo Alto,...
    Thanks for all the help on this, I felt sure Favorites were still supported and it was "right in front of my nose" but I could not see it!

Indeed, it is explained in the on-screen instructions, but I just wasn't looking there. (Instead, I went all through the "menu tree" looking for a "Favorites" item somewhere else, and I even dug the original user manual out of my attic in a (vain) attempt to get some guidance there (the manual showed the "old way", of course).

Upon further investigation, I confirmed that my standalone Series2 TiVo, running 7.3.1, also has the new "one combined list" scheme, but I had just never noticed the change (since, as I mentioned, I don't use Favorite Channels anyway, the only reason that I noticed the change in 6.3 is because it was posted in "Release Notes" that the Favorites list would become empty, and that somehow prompted me to "look for it").

14. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    The weirder thing is that my very first DirecTV STB (~10 years ago) could do this and I am pretty sure most non DVR DirecTV STB's still can. I'm not sure why the more primitive cousins are allowed to do this while the DVRs aren't. :::shrug:::

I've never used Favorites before, but others have indicated that the list is free from DirecTV's delete/add monkey business so at least when you take a (shopping) channel out, it will stay out, right?

15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The only thing missing is a method of setting all or turning all off. That can be handy.

I went thru the list doing either select or thumbs up. (If you thumbs up a channel you do not have checked in "receive" it turns it on. Also, if you have a thumbs up channel that you uncheck in the received list, it removes the thumb.) So, it was select, thumbs up or down arrow thru the list. Didn't take too long.

But I like to turn off all favorites except NFL Sunday Ticket HDs on Sunday. Without check all or thumbs up/down all, this will be harder to do.

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Isn't there a bug in R15 and HR20 software that prevents even having a channels I receive list?

Yes, shopping channels stay out but I have lost 95 on several occasions so I have reverted to channels I receive (I prefer favorites because I can have the sports channels like NFL or MLB or college football in it and not clutter up favorites).

17. pacbellguy

pacbellguy New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Antioch, CA
    I too wish there was a way to uncheck all of "channels you receive".

That would allow me to just selec what I want to appear on my guide.

Having a seperate Favorites list, seperate from what would appear on your main guide, would have been nice as well. I used to have a Favorites just listing the XM channels.

18. finaldiet

finaldiet New Member

May 10, 2004
    Oak forest, Il.
    You go into your " now playing list" and then hit enter to get folders. you then turn them on, as they are set on off with upgrade. You can also hit 1 or 2 to get to folders.

19. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    It is a pain to remove the channels from your CYR list, but selecting the ones you want in a Favorite list is much easier. It can be done at the same time you select your CYR channels.

Shortcuts are:
    "1" selects sorting by name or date
    "2" toggles groups on and off