Doctors, Lawyers, & Cops...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by rmassey, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Mar 4, 2011 #1 of 36
    rmassey

rmassey Damn, these are fun!

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado

Advertisements

... is all they can come up with for TV shows? Really?

Seriously, it seems like all TV shows (or perhaps the ones that I tend to watch) are always about Doctors, Lawyers & Cops. WTH? Ever since the writers strike a few years back, I find very few shows that hold up.

Doctors: Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Off the Map, House
    Lawyers: Defenders, Harry's Law, Good Wife
    Cops: Blue Bloods, Chicago Code, HW-50

I know it's been done for years, I'm just sick of it. I guess I have become middle aged man ;) Too bad I have two lifetime Tivos and nothing to watch.

I also get tired of all the bed hopping, seriously does everyone sleep with everyone where you work? This was the one redeeming quality of House for a few seasons, but they caved in and now House and Cuddy and swapping spit.

</rant mode off> ... sorry I feel better now :D

2. Mar 4, 2011 #2 of 36
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Those professions have the greatest potential for conflict and drama, so producers and writers come back to them.

3. Mar 5, 2011 #3 of 36
    RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Cop shows also have lots of potential for action sequences such as car chases and shootings.

4. Mar 5, 2011 #4 of 36
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Um...Cameron and Chase? Foreman and 13?

5. Mar 5, 2011 #5 of 36
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS

Advertisements

There was a time, back in the day, it was Doctors, Lawyers and Cowboys.

:)

6. Mar 5, 2011 #6 of 36
    rmassey

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    yeah, but those almost seemed normal/realistic (i.e. monotonous, er I mean monogamous ) .... and they did not turn into Cameron and Chase, Cameron and Foreman, Cameron and House, Foreman and 13, Foreman and Cuddy, House and 13......

Ok, so by this standard, House and Cuddy should appear normal/realistic too I guess... but being the main character - House, I was disappointed to see them take his story line to the same old/same old bed hopping plot that all other shows follow.

...damn, I wish I got half as much action as all these D/L/C shows portray.

7. Mar 5, 2011 #7 of 36
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    You forgot all the "abbreviation shows": CSI (and it's many flavors), NCIS, Law & Order SVU, JAG, etc.

:)

8. Mar 5, 2011 #8 of 36
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Yeah, those are what drives me nuts. Not just CSI, but CSI in nineteen cities (or at least 3 others), which means not only do I choose not to watch CSI but I also choose not to watch it 4 other times. (or whatever the number is).

9. Mar 5, 2011 #9 of 36
    mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    WOW! Best idea for a new show.

3 twenty-something friends who live together in a loft in the city. One is a police detective, a gung-ho type with a mentor who may bend the rules. One is a defense attorney who is struggling in her career and needs a win. The third roommate is in his residency trying to balance his long work shifts, living as a 20-something, and documenting everything in a weblog.

10. rmassey

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    Yeah, CSI ( or any other jerry bruckheimer production) gets ignored by me...

I have to laugh at CSI (all 19 versions) when they are in the Lab (or whatever it is...) all the people that work there look like ex-super models and the building and equipment is all high tech, with no budget limitations whatsoever... In HW-50, do all cops have a big slick touch screen table computer with multiple HiDef monitors that perform computer magic with a few strokes of the hand. Are all databases ever created on the planet linked to one another and a five-O cop can just think up a complex query that can instantly access the data and pull it all together with a graphic image, perfectly formatted to be displayed on a 1080p Display so they can immediately find the criminals? Yeah, right....

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Make them all vampires or superpowered mutants and you might actually have something there. : - )

12. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I'm not kidding about this - Insurance Agents. A show about them. It's a crappy job with no pay and the show would be funny because of that. Also, if Progressive, Geico, State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, and all the other companies would stop putting so many damn commercials on TV, all of our rates would go down.

Convenience store clerks. Another top 10 idea.

Lawn maintenance men. The stories they could tell.

A/C repairmen. Hot topic.

13. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    [​IMG]

14. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    How about office workers? Both in the U.S.A. and in India?

How about city government employees in Kansas?

How about a liberal Democratic administration in the White House?

15. Bob_Newhart

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Rednecks? I'd watch!

Barbers? Yes!

Pet groomers? You bet!

16. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    How about a show of a paper companies sales office?

17. Bob_Newhart

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    that's just silly.

18. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah I was thinking about this the other day and that is it.

It is too much like work for writers to have to actually create tension and drama from more mundane environments. It is pretty much a cheat sheet for them.

I have resisted this foundation of tv for years but basically just had to give in because there is so little tv outside this because tentpoles.

Although there is some good stuff... I just wish writers would get a little more creative and a little more bold. You don't need life and death to create tension or drama in a tv show.

19. StacieH

StacieH betativowho??

Jan 2, 2009
    Between San...
    I'd rather watch 4 hours of Law and Order each night than game shows and so-called reality TV. Not too hot on the medical shows, though.

20. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Might be a good drama. Not a very good comedy anymore.