1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctor Who - "The Woman Who Fell to Earth" - S11E01 - OAD 10/7/2018

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kdmorse, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Oct 7, 2018 #1 of 51
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I'm going to say it was allright, standard issue "First episode of a new Doctor" episode, new Doctor, new friends, new feel to it, etc..

But what the heck was the point of the DNA bombs? Or more specifically, implanting them but leaving them detonated? If you want to kill all the witnesses, just kill all the witnesses as you leave. ;)

tim1724 likes this.
  2. Oct 7, 2018 #2 of 51
    cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I liked the episode. Good start for the new Doctor. Just one question ... how did she survive falling from outer space? Probably something to do with regeneration energy being a cure all for not burning up in the atmosphere and being flat as a pancake when she hit the train?

3. Oct 8, 2018 #3 of 51
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Loved the season premiere.

The new Doctor was very believable. She had mannerisms and inflections (though feminized) like the previous Doctor.

4. Oct 8, 2018 #4 of 51
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I really liked this episode. I even watched it twice. Jodie Whittaker did great as the Doctor. Hopefully she'll get good stories. Her Doctor seemed to channel aspects of David Tennant's energy. Their voices are similar too. I always thought Tennant's voice was pitched too high to carry gravitas but it sounds right for a woman.

The only two things that didn't make sense to me were how did the guy looking for his sister get the big purple Hershey Kiss to the garage and how the alien was supposed to get back home when he broke the spaceship into pieces when he exited it.

I was NOT happy that Grace died. I'm pretty sure the "real" companions will grow on me but she was the best secondary character in this episode.

I know this is a time travel show but Yaz being a cop should present some significant scheduling issues.

I felt for the stuntman who had to fall off that bike about 20 times.

One thing I thought was weird wasn't in the episode itself. In the post-episode show, the guy, who was credited with being a big Doctor Who fan, said that he was happy to see brown people like him on the show. I've always thought that New Who has always been racially progressive in its casting, especially with interracial relationships. I don't remember seeing any brown people in Classic Who, let alone any significant ones, but New Who has had them from the beginning with Mickey, Martha, Donna's husband, Bill and many less significant tertiary characters.

jasrub and ThePennyDropped like this.
  5. Oct 8, 2018 #5 of 51
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Usually "brown" refers to Hispanic and Middle-Eastern/South Asian people, not black people...

6. Oct 8, 2018 #6 of 51
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I thought it was ok and look forward to more episodes.

A huge pet peeve of mine are TV shows where almost the entire episode takes place at night where everything, including indoor scenes, are dimly lit. For some reason shows filmed like that literally make me fall asleep, no matter how good the writing or acting or time of day.

7. Oct 8, 2018 #7 of 51
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This is why I've never made it through a Harry Potter movie. I've fallen asleep on every one I tried to watch.

8. Oct 8, 2018 #8 of 51
    ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I liked both the episode and the new Doctor. I also felt that the new Doctor had similar mannerisms and speech qualities to David Tennant's Doctor, which I welcome. It's nice to have a somewhat manic energy to your Doctor. Ah, that new Doctor smell. :)

tim1724 and dianebrat like this.
  9. Oct 8, 2018 #9 of 51
    pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

I am extremely unhappy, not only was she a good actor/character in any terms I thought she was going to make a return to something Russell T Davies excelled at and Steven Moffat was not good at - a companion's mother as an interesting and important character.

The only upside her death was part of the episode being a complete break from early era Steven "nobody dies" Moffat.

10. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002

Another pet peeve of mine was part of this - a sudden transition from day to night when it seems very little time has passed for what the characters are doing. When this happens my general assumption is planned shooting schedules slipped.

11. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002
    BBC Radio Five Live wanted people to come on its afternoon show to review the show, on air the announcer said "get in contact using the the hashtag who review". Somebody did not think that one through.

morac likes this.
  12. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I assumed most ‘night’ scenes on TV these days were actually filmed day for night where the scenes are actually shot in daylight using a dark filter over the lens or where it is filtered in post production.

I’ve read that actual night filming can be tricky with wages, work schedules, and the special low light equipment needed.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's difficult to shoot at dawn or dusk, because the light changes very quickly. That's why there are often such abrupt changes from day to night and back in shows/movies without big budgets.

There's an eight-minute scene in Jupiter Ascending that takes place outdoors in Chicago during daybreak. It took them six months (!) to film it. Every day at dawn they'd go out and shoot for a few minutes.

14. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    My question now is:
    Will the entire first season be a quest for the TARDIS?

15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I hope not.

tim1724 likes this.
  16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    That did work right for me. LOL.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He (well, she now, but he then) has been trapped on Earth before. Until the very end, I wondered if that's where they were headed this season...

tim1724 likes this.
  18. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I loved it. Probably my favorite Doctor Who episode in a very long time and I thought Jodi Whittaker was fabulous.

I really liked her outfit for most of the episode - I was a little disappointed they decided to give her a new wardrobe. I was hoping Ryan S would be the new companion... I really liked him also.

jasrub likes this.
  19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, she couldn't just go on wearing Peter Capaldi's costumes forever. Eventually she would have needed her own look! ;)

BrettStah likes this.
  20. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I have personal experience -- from living across the street from where they were being filmed -- so I can tell you that all the night "pit" scenes on "Parks and Recreation" were actually filmed at night.

(Also, "day for night" is really noticeable, and tends to only show up in the very lowest of low-budget shows/movies.)

DeDondeEs likes this.