DOCTOR who "The Shakespeare Code" US airdate 7/13/07

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by emandbri, Jul 14, 2007.

1. emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO

Advertisements

I thought it was a very good episode and the kids watched it with us which is fun, they are really getting into it. There was some british slang that we didn't know, does anyone remember the line and can anyone "translate" it? Sorry to be so vauge but we we don't have our tivo set up yet and watched it live *gasp*

2. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I really enjoyed the episode. I thought the way they depicted Elizabethian England and Shakespeare was so interesting humorous and just plain fun.

3. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    what happened as they were running to the TARDIS. my recording cut off and painkiller jane showed them closing the door as arrows hit it. Did I miss dialog?

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Nothing else said after "Something to look forward to".

Just the Next Time previews.

I checked my downloaded version.

5. jtown0620

jtown0620 TIMELORD with TiVo

Jun 17, 2004
    Trinity, Fl.

Advertisements

Loved the episode! Hated that Sci-Fi didn't show next weeks previews! I'm 33 & been a fan since I first seen Tom Baker when I was 4 or 5. I must say after watching David Tennant for the last couple of years I really can't imagine someone else in the role! Lets hope that Russel T. Davies & David stick around for Series 5! Also the Queen Elizabeth ending was classic!

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You may want to hold off on that judgment until you've seen the whole season...

7. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Can we stop with the veiled remarks from people who already watched the whole season? Getting kind of tired already and it's only been two weeks.

8. cstelter

cstelter Active Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    I had to chuckle at the Harry Potter and the 'Thank you JK' references. I think it's fortunate that they aired this episode here in the states when they did or the first reference to book 7 would have been less effective. Throw in a reference to Back To the Future, and I'm not sure they needed to dwell on 'pop?' culture so much, but it was different.

I think I prefer in-jokes about old history more than recent history. My favorite line of all I think is Tom Baker with Lela (sp?) after he hollers "Eureka", which upon Lela's query about the meaning of the word he replies, "Oh, just 'My bath water is too hot', come on, let's go Lelia" or some such.

Of course I guess the many references to Shakespeare quotes qualifies as such in-jokes too so the episode had a lot of that sort of thing going for it.

9. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Yeah, at first I didn't think I could get used to Tennant being the new Doctor, but now I don't think I could get used to him not being the Doctor. I guess I'd probably say the same thing about any other new Doctor that might come along.

However, at this point I do find Tennant to be a better Doctor than Eccleston, despite my initial misgivings. Part of that was because he looked goofy wearing Eccleston's outfit, and once he put on an outfit that fit him better and made him look more "Doctor-ish", that helped.

10. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I still prefer eccleston, though tennant is certainly good as well.

11. Mr_Bester

Mr_Bester New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    I enjoyed Barty Jr. talking about the Harry Potter stuff.
    Dug

12. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    +1. Tennant isn't bad at all IMO. Eccleston was just awesome though.

13. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA

I should have caught that. :up:

14. cstelter

cstelter Active Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    Yeah-- and I just saw HP4 a week ago too-- I didn't put 2+2 together.

15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Not everyone shares your downtrod opinion of the season. I loved it.

16. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Not everyone wants to hear what you people think of the rest of the season.

17. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I had just watched Potter 4 last week so the Doctor talking about Potter was particularly funny for me. I just wish he had said "I liked Goblet of Fire the best," or something like that.

18. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    I think that Rob is referring to a rumor that I aired in the thread concerning an episode yet to be aired on SciFi . ;)

19. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    In the second showing, they DID have the closing credits with previews over them. I am getting fairly annoyed over the lack of attention that the SciFi channel is giving to their content. It's as if they really don't care. I lost the end of the season premiere of Eureka! because of their lousy scheduling.

The episode was very, very good. Was that the actress from HEX playing the witch? She just can't win, can she? He was a real genius in this story, as opposed to Shakespeare in Love, where he was a bit of a buffoon. I loved the political correct names he was referring to Martha as a black woman. I also loved the "inbalance of humors" line. I'm not a fan of topical references, as they don't play well after a few years, and Doctor Who is a show that people play for years. In one of the various Dalek show, the Doctor and Sarah get flung far into the future, where they are inevitably captured and someone asks them how long it has been since they had eaten. Sarah chirps "Over a thousand years" and gets a very dirty look from Pertwee, who says to their captors that she means that they haven't eaten in a long time. THAT is the kind of in-joke I like.

There was a dandy in The Avengers, in the episode "Too Many Christmas Trees."
    Steed is opening Christmas cards from his many female friends when he remarks, "Oh, a card from Cathy Gail." He reads it, turns it over, looks puzzled and says, "I wonder what she is doing at fort Knox?" It took a very long moment before I started to laugh pretty hard, and my wife just looked at me perplexed. I had to explain that Honor Blackman played Cathy Gail in The Avengers and quit the year before to do other things, including the Bond film Goldfinger, which involved the theft of gold from Fort Knox. Hence the in-joke.
    These kind of things are generally pretty short-lived and really should be eliminated, in my opinion.

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I guess I'm in the very small minority of people who didn't like the Harry Potter references. Seemed like mini commercials to me.

Also, too many Rose references. Move on, dude.