Doctor Who "The God Complex" 9/17/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Sep 18, 2011.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Adios, Amy and Rory. Sad to see you go but hopefully this creates more space for my tv girlfriend, River Song. The last couple of episodes have been building towards their departure, so it's not much of a surprise. If I were them, I would be kind of tired of having my life or my loved one's life in constant peril. I just wish The Doctor had dropped them off in the wrong town as an homage to Sarah Jane Smith's departure scene with Tom Baker's Doctor.

2. secondclaw

secondclaw Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Florida
    I bet they'll be back since Doctor's death hasn't played out yet. I do like Amy as a companion but I guess its a good time for a change.

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm pretty sure they'll be back, for the same reason as secondclaw. This just sets up for a "companion light" episode like they've been known to do every year these days.

4. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I'm sure they'll be back, and I'm looking forward to it.

I enjoyed this episode much more than I expected to. Too bad Rita (was that her name) bit the dust; she would have been a fun companion.

5. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Pretty sure they set her up as someone who would make a good companion just so that they could kill her. :)

"Ah, you're Muslim?"

"Yes, don't be afraid."

LOL.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Same thing with Lorna Bucket earlier this season.

I wonder if they're not playing with the constant rumors that XXX is leaving the show, by pretending to set up suitable replacements and then killing them off right away?

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Amy and Rory will be back this season but I doubt they'll be the companions next season. I wonder how they're going to pull off having companions next season since the Doctor has admitted and regrets that he keeps putting them in danger.

I wondered if cowardly surrender dude was a poke at the French. :)

8. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    This sets up the usual yearly "main character doesn't show up in one episode so that they have room in the contract/budget for the Christmas Special."

"Blink" being the most popular of those episodes.

--Carlos "Resistance is exhausting" V.

9. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    And "Love and Monsters" being the least popular. :)

10. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Another enjoyable episode. I don't think we're sure they are gone for next year, it could just be a setup for the final story this season but maybe they are. I don't think I've been this attached to a set of companions before.

It's easy for the Doctor to get a new companion, just find someone who needs saving and take them away from the bad situation. There were a few non-companion episodes of Tennant, that seems weird to me. Having no companions really wasn't the point of Love and Monsters or Blink, there was pretty much no Doctor in them. Not really the same thing.

11. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think their roles of "companion" is definitely over, however they are both still part of the story arc. We'll definitely see them again.

12. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Not "no companions," "no main character" (i.e. no Doctor).

13. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Yep.

I are still waiting to find out if Rory is dead or alive and if he is dead who killed such a good man.

14. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    This is definitely a setup to the beginning of the season. Remember at the very beginning of the season (before they got the invitation) they were sitting in a house wnd noticing that the Doctor kept popping up in various historical documents. I'm not convinced that isn't going to become another of Moffat's wibbly wobbly timey wimey moments.

15. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Speaking of which, :up: for the weeping angels cameo in the hotel. :D

16. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    "You're a medical doctor, right? Not like a doctor of cheese making or something."

"No...well, yes. Both, actually."

:D

Interesting that the Rubik's Cube showed up again.

17. secondclaw

secondclaw Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Florida
    Rubik's Cube is essentially a multi-dimensional puzzle ... quiet appropriate for DW. Surprised it does not show up more often.