Doctor Who - The Girl Who Waited 9/10/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JohnB1000, Sep 10, 2011.

1. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I thought this was a fantastic episode. People will no doubt pick all kinds of faults but I loved it. It reminded me of some ST:TNG episodes and had all the emotion and complexity that I love.

2. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    I agree. Fantastic-one of my favorites ever. I admit I got a bit misty eyed there at the end.

The Doctor can be an ass sometimes.

3. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    I saw it quite differently. I saw his pain at being forced to do the right thing, to make the hard decision.

I think Rory's speech about having had en ough set a pretty clear direction for the future.

4. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    No I mean, I get it. It sucks. He had to make a horrible decision. But when he shut the door, I still couldn't believe it-I knee it was going to happen, but it's so uncharacteristic for The Doctor to "give up" on saving someone.

5. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    I thought it'd mention Rory, the Centurion, waiting over 1,800 years and guarding the Pandorica for Amy. But it didn't. I thought it might mention Amy's conviction that the Doctor always comes - even if he is very late - but it didn't.

However, what I really liked about it was the way it showed how the Doctor's and Tardis' cavalier treatment of others' time can lead to really tragic consequences. Previously Amy has had to wait long periods of time for the Doctor to return, but the consequences have not been nearly this tragic.

And, after all it is the Doctor who stays young and regenerates while his companions grow old. He is the one who can afford to wait, but he is the one who never does.

And I also liked how it pointed out one of the flaws of the show's own treatment/theory of time travel. The show used to pretend that something like Amy's 36 years of waiting would be erased by bringing back the young Amy to the Tardis. But this episode acknowledged Amy's 36 years of waiting and loneliness happened. I think the rest of the season will address the consequences.

6. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    This was a wonderful episode. I loved not just the central conceit, but also Karen Gillen's acting in particular. I thought she did a phenomenal job.

Interesting how much of a bottle episode this was. Not only was there no mention of Centurion Rory, Amy waiting as a child (apart from the title), Rory waiting and aging into a skeleton in that one nightmarish episode, etc, but there was also no mention of the season's overall story arc that would necessitate this airing at this point in the series. I think this episode could have worked if aired just about anywhere during Smith's run as the Doctor. Of course, it has greater subtext now given all the moments that have proceeded it. This episode might supplant Blink, for me, as the standalone episode I use to hook new viewers on the show.

Also, I liked the title of the episode very much. "Rory's Choice" might have worked too, as this episode shared some themes with "Amy's Choice" last year.

7. DLFerguson

DLFerguson Vermicious Knid

Mar 21, 2004
    Brooklyn,...
    I'm convinced that somebody or something must have hijacked my transmissions and are beaming me bogus episodes of DOCTOR WHO since I can't be seeing the same episodes every one is because between this episode and last week's disappointing "Let's Kill Hitler" I'm starting to wonder.

8. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    I think your transmissions are mixed up since last weeks show was "Night Terrors"

I think this has supplanted Blink for me, I love Blink but it's not REALLY about the Doctor.

I know some people don't like Smith but watching old Tennant eps I find him very lightweight (I loved it at the time). Somehow smith seems to have way more character levels to him.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    While I agree with you, I wonder how much of it is Tennant vs Smith and how much Davies vs Moffat? I suspect Davies was a lot more interested in keeping the character light than Moffat is, and that Smith is benefiting from that by being given more to do.

10. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    Very true.

My memory of Tennant is a bit sketchy (old age) but I do remember some deeper eps with hard choices to make and I enjoyed them.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I really warmed up to this episode in its second half. I spent the first half being astounded at the Doctor's and Rory's incredible stupidity and non-concern at leaving Amy behind while they walked through an unknown door that was operated by two buttons. There was a 50-50 chance that Amy would pick the same button they did.

The hand-bots reminded me of the virus-bot thingies in the Let's Kill Hitler episode and the robots in the Mdmme Pompadour episode.

12. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    Wouldn't have been much of an episode if they were concerned :)

13. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Or even pushing any button at all. When you have all of time and space at your disposal, why risk pushing mystery buttons that could injure or kill you? Climb back in the TARDIS and go somewhere/somewhen without mystery buttons.

I did not like the second half either, since they kept talking about two time streams when that obviously was not the case. If people with only one day to live can be watched living their entire life, then it is NOT a time-differential. If there were two time streams at different rates, the watchers would see the sick people moving in extreme slow motion, and the sick people would subjectively still only experience one day of life (of course, Amy was not sick, but the principle of the thing should be the same).

What was apparently happening was more like they somehow sped up time for the sick person, but left time the same for the virus (or whatever), so that the virus would be moving in extreme slow motion relative to the sick person. But if they have that kind of control over the virus (or whatever causes the disease), then it is effectively a cure, and the people would not need to be isolated.

I think the story would have been better if Amy just got stuck in some faster time stream that the aliens had created for whatever crazy reason (they could throw in a one line explanation), and then they could have had a similar two Amy thing going (once the Doctor figures out how to move the TARDIS between streams), but without all the stuff about the disease that did not make sense.

14. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    But he explained that.

This is even a bit different than the River/Melody issue (River was with baby Mel at a point).

In this case, Amy+36 would and should no longer exist once Amy is rescued and her timeline changes (or is restored, depending on how you look at it))

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, the dick move on the Doctor's part wasn't not saving Old Amy, since that was written to be impossible. It was pretending he was going to save her.

And I'm not saying he had a better move available to him. But it was still a dick move.

16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Hey, Rory. Next time, don't go wandering off without your wife.

17. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    I was thinking the same thing! Actually said outloud before they walked through the electronic door...don't go inside because door is going to close behind you. DUH! :p

18. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think the most important line of the episode, just after the Doctor slammed the Tardis door on the old Amy and then explains how Rory has to choose one Amy, but can't save them both.
    Poor Rory, he's been through so much. I'm beginning to think Moffat is much meaner to the companions than RTD was.

19. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Great episode

20. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Spectacular episode!
    Sure it's a stand-alone, but this is the love story they have kept dancing around and the reason Rory would wait 2000 years for Amy, those two are meant to be together. Karen did a great job with older Amy thanks to a combination of her acting and their makeup.
    I cried.. repeatedly.