Doctor Who - series link change for Series 1

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by OzSat, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Jun 3, 2011 #1 of 23
    OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    For all of those with a series link for Doctor Who, please note that from Saturday evening's download the two different eras of Doctor Who will be split into two series.

Current the 'Classic' series_id is used for all episodes on Series 1 - but from Saturday night's download the new versions will have a new id - this will include those currently on Saturday's on BBC1.

As long as you do not force a daily call in the hour or so before Doctor Who - then this Saturday evening's episode will record as normal.

2. Jun 3, 2011 #2 of 23
    smatson

smatson New Member

Mar 14, 2001
    jersey
    are we still geting listing from tivo ?

3. Jun 3, 2011 #3 of 23
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    The answer is Yes judging from the successful Daily Call I did at 8pm last night on my Cachecarded networked S1 Tivo and the full Guided Setup back to the Tribune EPG from the AltEPG I did this morning on my Dialup S1 Tivo.

Of course it may still be only a matter of time until the axe finally falls.........

4. Jun 3, 2011 #4 of 23
    ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    Pete, can I respectfully ask you to stop crowing and STFU? Let sleeping dogs lie, and all that.

5. Jun 3, 2011 #5 of 23
    steveroe

steveroe Must do some work...

Oct 29, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    This is the last Doctor Who of this (half) season - by the time it comes back then the official S1 service should be long gone, why make the change?

6. Jun 3, 2011 #6 of 23
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Perhaps the subcontract with Tribune for guide data was not so easy to get out of....

Automan.

7. Jun 3, 2011 #7 of 23
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    The point is that Tribune is still supplying a UK EPG feed to Tivo in their usual format in order to fulfil the contract for the EPG data for the Virgin S4 Tivo boxes. Had Tribune stopped supplying Tivo with any UK EPG data on 1st June then if we were still picking up any data feeds at all they would not have any new days of data after 1st June.

All of which points to the fact that our service is not being terminated for any good practical reason but merely in order to meet Virgin's mean spirited demand that the Virgin S4 Tivo be made the only way to have a Tivo in the UK.

Of course now that Tivo and Virgin have realised that there still going to be other Tivos operating in the UK and that a free AltEPG will actually mean far more of those Tivos remaining in use with a far higher public profile (including a possible journalistic one) than an old run out pay S1 Tivo service they may be beginning to wonder if they haven't shot themselves in the foot...............

8. Jun 3, 2011 #8 of 23
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    What exactly makes you say that?

If they can't manage to shut down the service on Day One then why should things be any different on Day One Hundred And One.

9. Jun 3, 2011 #9 of 23
    TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Don't be too optimistic Pete, it's only been 3 days!

10. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    However I bet if I had told you we would still have service on T+2 a week ago you would have told me that I was living in a fantasy world.:p

By the way I notice that aside from growing a beard compared to your forum alter ego that you also seem to have lost a lot of weight and now seem to look scarily similar to yours truly.:eek:

11. steveroe

steveroe Must do some work...

Oct 29, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    They will start shutting the service down on 1st June.

Looking forward to 10th September when I can quote this back already.

12. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    That's not what they said back in the middle of February when 1st June was quoted as the definite end of service date.

If they were building something the slippage would be normal but here all they are doing is pulling the plug on a phone line or deleting some Tivo Service Numbers from a database.

13. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    No, but that is what they said on 27th May. I don't know how calendars work in your world but here May is later than February.

You have no idea what's involved. (And neither do I, not working for TiVo or Virgin)

14. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I just use a process of rational deduction. Something other people seem to find quite difficult for some reason.

There are only three ways to cut off Tivo S1 customers reliably:-

A. Shut down the 0808 dialup number

B. Change all the UK Tivo Service Numbers to Account Closed status to stop those with network access managing to connect and obtain Guide Data.

C. Stop updating the Guide Data even if people do manage to find a way to connect to the system. But C isn't going to happen as the Guide Data is still being updated for the Virgin Media S4 Tivo users.

If you know another way then I would be delighted to hear it.

15. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Re: C There is no reason to beleive that the S1 data sits on the same server or is the same database as is used by Virgin boxes. Would you launch a brand new service intended to have millions of subscribers connections on 20mbps+ broadband in a matter of months on a 10 year old infrastructure designed for dial up access speeds?

Oh, D, change the IP address of the server.

16. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    E, configure the server not to talk to S1s.

17. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Doesn't work as US Series 1 machines will still need to access it.

Doesn't work as US Series 1 machines will still need to access it.

18. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    What leads you to believe that US S1 machines share the same server as UK machines?

19. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    And what leads you to believe that they don't:p

20. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Oh yes I'm sure they have all 2 million customers on 1 server. The server is an old IBM XT.