Doctor Who Season 3 starts 7/6 in the U.S. How are we handling discussion threads?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by drew2k, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 2, 2007 #1 of 52
    drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

There have already been discussion threads here for months about about the U.K.-aired episodes of Season 3 of Doctor Who, seen here via "alternative" methods.

Now that Season 3 of Doctor Who is about to start in the U.S. (Friday 7/6), are we starting new threads for discussion of the U.S. aired episodes, or should we be reviving threads from the discussion of the U.K.-aired episodes?

This inquiring mind wants to know ...

Thanks. :)

2. Jul 2, 2007 #2 of 52
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If the older threads can be found, then I'd say use them.

3. Jul 2, 2007 #3 of 52
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I agree. Just don't smeek. :D

4. Jul 2, 2007 #4 of 52
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Didn't we start new threads last season? I vaguely recall that we did. It's kind of weird to jump into the middle of a conversation from months ago that might be off on some crazy tangent.

5. Jul 2, 2007 #5 of 52
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I vote for starting new threads for the US broadcasts. Three or four month old threads are kind of stale.

6. Jul 2, 2007 #6 of 52
    TomK

TomK Active Member

May 22, 2001
    Huntsville,...
    Will anything be cut from the original airing? It might make more sense to start new threads for the new U.S. showing.

7. Jul 2, 2007 #7 of 52
    Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I'd start new threads. Those of us who have already seen it can just jump in again and post if we have comments to make. It would also keep us from spoilers that we might have posted at a later date.

8. Jul 2, 2007 #8 of 52
    balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    It would have been nice if the older thread titles had indicated that the broadcast dates were for the UK. I vote for starting new threads.

9. Jul 2, 2007 #9 of 52
    walkerjs

walkerjs New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Interesting, this is a rather Doctor Who kind of question to be asking. Time travel and all.

As long as the new threads don't cause a paradox. :)

10. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'd use the existing threads. It's not accepted to create duplicate threads for a rerun episode, or for a syndicated airing (presuming original airing threads aren't archived), so why is airing in another country that different (except for those who have a US-centric order to the world)? For that matter, people from other countries join in the US threads when US airings were first.

You'll otherwise miss out on existing discussion, and frankly most people just aren't gonna take the time repeating things they might've said months ago, if they even remember enough to come up with the same thoughts without just cut & paste.

There should be no spoilers in the existing threads; it's only that episode and earlier that discussion occurs without spoiler tags.

... and a plug for proper thread titles ...

If people would name thread titles with show name, season/episode, episode title AND original air date, there'd always be a means to readily identify episode order no matter when they were repeated or aired.

A complete index of Doctor Who threads, including season/episode info: http://www.2150.com/tcforum/nowplaying.asp?list=304

11. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Very good point! The UK watchers have seen the entire season already, so if they are posting in new threads for early episodes in the new season, they'll have to be careful about what they type lest they give something away that hasn't happened yet (in the U.S., that is).

12. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    However, the forum rules state that we can't start a thread about a show until it shows on the East coast in America.

13. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    The episodes show up mostly intact. Depending upon the run length, 30-90 seconds might get trimmed. The exception is the finale which runs 50+ minutes in its original form.

I was interested to learn the production team is given a chance to create (and in the case of "Doctor Who," actually do) the "international edit," so it isn't just BBC America or the SF channel hacking away at a whim.

14. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    New thread. I can't believe the mods allow talk of pirated programming.

15. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Except we have British members here, who are watching it on TV at the time. They can't post?

They say we can't talk about how to get pirated programming, but the programming itself hasn't been banned.

16. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Shouldn't that be discussed in the British forum, then? What about the rule you linked to earlier? Why did you post that then discount it just above?

17. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I didn't post the link. Doug did. I just quoted his post without editing things down. I was just trying to point out the irony of the rules that don't allow for posting about British shows in their own time zone, only after the show has aired in the US. However, we have an area for UK members, so it seems strange to make that an absolute requirement. The forum rules are that threads about shows should only be in the TV Talk area. This is just a gap in the rules.

If we want to get into copyrighted material and such - you posted links to a video you made where you don't have permission to use the film for promotional purposes. Should that be allowed?

That being said, if they wanted us to put it in the British section, I'm all for that.

18. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    That was just written with a US-centric outlook. :p

You know, it used to be written somewhere that the thread shouldn't/couldn't be started until 1 hour before it aired. Yet I see no mention of that 1 hour thing anywhere in the posting rule thread. I wonder if Ann accidentally dropped it when she rewrote it at some point.

Another good reason to use the existing thread: the audience is larger. People who posted in it are probably subscribed to it and will receive notice of new postings, bringing them back into the discussion. Starting a new thread won't.

19. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    BTW, in not that long, we'll face the same issues with Australia/New Zealand viewers of shows.

20. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I know that I've read that as a clarification in a thread somewhere. I'm sure you'd be able to find it in your archives. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.