Doctor Who - S12 E05 - "Fugitive of the Judoon" - 01/26/2020

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kdmorse, Jan 26, 2020.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Standard issue warning: no glancing at the thread if you haven't watched the episode yet, spoilers will abound.

...and not just about the Judoon Platoon near the Lagoon.....

Right now I'll just say this.... I enjoyed it. And clearly someone got the message about episodes with no external or past links being dull...

upload_2020-1-26_21-15-38.png

2. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Or lacking a story arc.

3. kdmorse

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    And even the plot irrelevant bits, were just lots more fun than in other episodes. Seriously, everyone looked like they were engaged and having fun (which hasn't really been in the case in other episodes), and it made a *big* difference.

The old woman standing up to the Judoon, the Judoon incinerating her 'weapon', Ryan telling the Judoon off (badly). Doctor: "Look at you... and you're Platoon of Judoon near.... ... that Lagoon!", "actually, it's more of a Canal" - followed by a frustrated look. The cake that said "You Can Do Better". Failing to negotiate a delay with the Judoon, the fact that the Judoon have a 'final warning missile'... "All rainbows and trousers that don't reach...." All fun...

Plot wise... Err, somebody's got some splaining to do!

tim1724 likes this.
  4. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    “Everything we were told was a lie.”

dianebrat likes this.
  5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Previously, in last week's Doctor Who thread...
    You were saying, kdmorse? ;) :D

6. kdmorse

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I'm quite happy to be wrong. ;)

I'm curious, was the extent of my wrongness public knowledge at the time of the conversation?

7. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Uh. Yes. But not so much wrong as out of date. It was last season’s philosophy but they did say they were returning to the show’s roots before this series started. It wasn’t obvious they meant this much but they did talk about bringing back old monsters, etc.

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I really liked this one.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    JACK!

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I liked Doctor Ruth's TARDIS design a lot more than the current one. Makes me wonder if she's some kind of anomaly from the Tom Baker era of the Doctor's lives.

11. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    This is more like it!

12. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    So finally a time-traveling show is embracing "current" trends of the multiverse?

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Could be. Or it could be a "lost era" of the Doctor (like the Time War)...one that she (currently) doesn't remember.

14. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    I think the Doctor Ruth is a far more authoritative/convincing Doctor than the Short Doctor.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Every time somebody says "Doctor Ruth," I can't but think of...
    [​IMG]

ThePennyDropped likes this.
  16. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Holy crap!!!!

Now that was a hell of a ride. One of the best episodes in a long time. Capt. Jack!!!! Another Doctor (without a sonic screwdriver WTF...)! Another Timelord (well for a short time anyway). This one flipped the season on it's ear.

One (well quite a few actually) question, why did Gat think that two Timelords from different timelines/frames couldn't occupy the same one? We've been seeing that for a long time now with the doctor meeting himself multiple times and even the Master doing it. Why is it an abomination?

I can't wait for the rest of the season now.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  17. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Well, this one was certainly timey wimey ...

18. kdmorse

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I have to say, that was very, very, *very* well done. The set, the outfit, the mannerisms, the interaction, all fit in so well you had no problem at all believing she was The Doctor. Jo Martin did a *spectacular* job. I did not immediately think 'Doctor' when the memory thingy on the wall was activated, because it didn't look like a chameleon arch memory holder that we've seen before. But then there was a smile in the wardobe room, and as she stepped out in her outfit, yup, that's another Doctor... (Ok, the colored neckline made it a bit obvious). I'd say again, very well done.

From a timeline point of view, they've got some explaining to do. I mean, I'm sure the people that spend their days updating every Doctor Who wiki page in existence after every episode are having a fit trying to figure out where she fits in. (I certainly want to know)

And it's always fun to see Jack again. I'm glad they started out with just his voice so we could figure it out before he appeared, and I'm glad I hadn't read anything and didn't know it was going to happen, it was a wonderful suprise. I wish they had had time for more of him. I hope he shows up again. Although I can't imagine how much makeup work it took to make him appear somewhat less aged than he is reality. We know he ages in this universe, we would have accepted him with his natural white hair (whatever they put on his head looked anything but natural).

* and insert standard issue rant about whomever is cropping/reframing the episodes. I've given up on the TV airings they're mangled so badly.

19. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but two Doctors and neither one of them thought of alternate universes even though the Doctor left Rose in one?

20. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    I did not spot it until the actual reveal but the writers did provide an early clue. her full name was Ruth Clayton.

Rob Helmerichs has already mentioned the fame of Doctor Ruth. Doctor Clayton is also famous.

However I do take some obnoxiously smug satisfaction from thinking from the first appearance of the Judoon Ruth was the fugitive they were looking for.