Doctor Who - S12 E04 - "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror" - 01/19/2020

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kdmorse, Jan 20, 2020.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Finally got around to watching it this evening. I started to watch my recording on BBCA, but the quality, and the obviousness of the reframing, caused me to have to go grab a copy of a BBC airing. (Now that I've seen the difference, regardless of whose fault it is, my recordings just seem overly zoomed/cramped and I can't stop noticing it).

Otherwise, err, distant cousins of the Racnoss, cross bred with some Ferengi and the Pakled from ST:TNG? I mean it was ok, I'm not sure I can call it bad, but it wasn't particularly good either. Exceptionally mediocre maybe?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    tim1724 and ThePennyDropped like this.
  2. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    We watched it on the BBCA app, and I agree, the image quality is terrible. But I liked the show. I thought the creature was pretty cool, in fact.

My only issue with the show right now is I just wish Whitaker would relax her performance a little. I feel like she delivers nearly every line as if she's in a rush. Obviously it's appropriate at certain times, and other times I can kind of write it off as The Doctor's mind is racing and her mouth is trying to keep up, but over the course of an hour it gets tiresome. To be fair to her, though, I had the same feeling about Smith during his first couple of seasons, too.

3. kdmorse

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I find it interesting that of the 'mediocre' shows, the ones I like, the rest of the internet doesn't like. And the ones I find 'meh', the rest of the internet says are a breath of fresh air, best ones of the season.

I liked last weeks better (allowing for some instances of stupid plot). The internet strongly disagrees, and vastly prefers this episode.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  4. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    So far this season has been meh.

tim1724, jeetkunedo and Tony_T like this.
  5. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I think most seasons are pretty meh. Then every once in awhile there's a single episode, or maybe a bit of an arc, that stands out.

6. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Agreed.
    I was expecting the story to say that Dorothy Skerrit was the real brains, and not Tesla.
    …but I did like the story line of how Edison 'stole' Tesla's ideas.
    They should have a story showing how Bill Gates stole ideas from Steve Jobs who stole ideas from Xerox.

7. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Yeah I definitely had the same feeling of the Skithra being a cross between the Racnoss and Pakleds from Star Trek. Didn't get the Ferengi bit though.

I thought it was a fun romp, and Whitaker is coming into her own. Was it the best? not by a long shot, but it was typical non arc DW.

8. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Not quite a storyline. Edison did run a factory of ideas and Tesla never fully got credit for what he did.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  9. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    There was a recent film called "The Current War," which takes place roughly a decade before this "Doctor Who" episode, and dramatizes the battle between Edison and George Westinghouse over DC versus AC current. Tesla is also a character.

In that movie, Edison is played by Benedict Cumberbatch, so during much of this episode, I wondered what had happened to Edison's cheekbones in the intervening 10 years. :D

ThePennyDropped likes this.
  10. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Off topic, but if you ever have a chance to visit the Edison factory in West Orange, NJ, it's a great way to spend an afternoon.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I liked it even though the Skithra were pretty mediocre and Queen Skithra did what tv bad guys do entirely too much - she wouldn't shut her pie hole and just start killing everybody who didn't do what she wanted.

I know it's a British show but it took me out of the narrative for a bit when Edison pronounced the word "patent" as "pay-tent". I was ok with the Doctor pronouncing it that way but not the American Edison.

tim1724 likes this.
  12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    As you say, a British show and a British actor (who I almost didn't recognize...but it was Philip Glenister, who is so English it amazes me he can even do an American accent! :D).

13. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I totally got a Ferengi vibe, and my wife, who does not watch DW, walked by and asked if those were related to the Ferengi.

14. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm still trying to work up the energy to finally watch this episode, Orphan 55 seems to have drained the life out of me :). I was hoping for some tasty spoiler to make me want to watch, but I got nuthin to interest me in this thread.

justen_m likes this.
  15. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I hate to say it, but I’m on the verge of giving up on Doctor Who. I keep waiting for something to click like it does when adjusting to a new doctor, but there doesn’t seem to be anything to link this regeneration with the previous ones.
    She’s not The Doctor YET. I’m still hoping for it to happen.

16. kdmorse

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    That's not an oversight. They've made it very, very clear that they want to avoid plot links to previous Doctors. With few exceptions, the occasional reference is likely all we're going to get. In fact, they've needed to go out of their way to eliminate linkages to past plot elements where necessary (such as removing UNIT). They wanted to reuse the universe, yet at the same time have a fresh start. And the result is things like bringing in a sister race to the Racnoss, without ever mentioning the Racnoss.

Given their resistance, I was pretty surprised to see an incarnation of the Master appear, and Gallifrey mentioned. But I suspect the Master was a one-shot, it'll be interresting to see how they handle Gallifrey.

Like you, I find the overall result somewhat disappointing. It's not as much that she's not The Doctor, it's more that this just isn't the same universe we're used to, it's duller and flatter.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They've also cut back on (virtually eliminated) season arcs. The individual episodes will be more or less self-contained, at least by modern TV standards.

Which bums me out a bit (I really LIKE modern TV!)...

18. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Finally got around to watching this.
    Just a bit ago, the Doctor wiped Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage's memory of her. Now in this show she leaves Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla remembering everything. Seems a mite inconsistent.

ThePennyDropped likes this.
  19. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Not sure about Edison but nobody believed the ravings of Tesla, especially as he grew older.

20. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Why are you doing spoiler tags to past episodes?

--Carlos V.