Doctor Who - S12 E03 - "Orphan 55" - 01/12/2020

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kdmorse, Jan 12, 2020.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I thought it was a decent enough self contained episode. About on par with the better self contained episodes from last season.

Bits of it I rather liked. I wish they had more fully explored the "what happened to Benny?" angle. And for a moment or two, I thought the preachy part would be just a few plot related comments - and they had learned not to whap us with the preachy bat over and over to drive the point home.

Until the end, crisis resolve, then they whipped out the preachy bat....

2. kdmorse

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Let's ignore plot for a moment, I want to talk video quality.....

I've felt that the video quality so far this season has been, when watching on my TV, to be substandard. It actually really shows up the most in the graphics in the intro - the swirling and text, it's just - not crisp at all. And I continued to feel that way this episode, noticing it more and more in the paradise shots where the people standing in it were just way less crisp than they should be. And the presentation just felt off in a way I couldn't put my finger now (until now).

So, after watching this episode, I grabbed 6 different copies via magical means, of varying quality, encoding rates, and resolutions. The worst of which (a 400MB file), about matched what I was seeing on my TV quality wise. The best of which (2.5GB and 3.5GB 1080p), looked much, much better. I was content to simply blame comcast, until I noticed something else - they're framed differently. They always felt a little zoomed - it's because they are!

I checked all six magical downloads, and they all presented the same. Comparison below (the inner red box is what I see on the TV) - at about the 19 minute BBCA broadcast mark (14:22 on the downloaded files)

upload_2020-1-12_22-21-17.png

It's not just that scene, it's all of them - this was just an easy one to diagram because the camera wasn't moving, and there were landmarks I could exactly drop the rectangle on. When Ryan is cowering under deck chairs and potted plants, I can see whole plants and chairs on the downloaded files that I cannot see on my TV. It's also quite obvious on any screen when there are 'screens' on the screen - as they have defined edges.

I am 99% sure it's not a local stupid problem (such as SD/Zoom, or a local resolution mismatch. That doesn't look like SD:HD cropping issues, does it? I'd have noticed it on other shows, I'd notice it in the menus, I'd notice it all over the place.)

That said, who/what the hell is re-framing the content, and why?

Tivo: Tivo Roamiao Pro
    TV: Samsung UN40D6500 40-Inch 1080p 120HZ 3D LED TV (Black)
    Connected Via: HDMI
    Provider: Comcast (a potential source of evil)
    Channel: 1418 - BBCAMHD-E (another potential source of evil)

Now that I know what's bugging me, I can see it everywhere, and it's part of the reason the title sequence looked wrong to my eye. And now it's bugging the hell out of me, and I'm going to have to watch all future episodes via magical means. So, is this a local issue, just me, or are others seeing this as well?

3. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    And on top of that, in order to make their preachy point about changing the future via togetherness and sound environmental policy, they completely ignored the fact that the Doctor could have saved the last two people using the TARDIS.

It's one thing to make a subtle point within the context of a show. But it's annoying when shows are bent to fit the shape of a particular point, and the story becomes secondary.

Other than that, I found the bulk of the show enjoyable. So far, I'm enjoying this season better than the previous.

4. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    It's not just you. I'm getting the same framing with Frontier. So it must be a BBCA issue.

5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It got a bit preachy at the end but I'm not bent out of shape about it. We can't keep going on the way we have been.

I got a chuckle when the kid had a fit because his stupid dad wouldn't listen to him. I also liked the part when Kane tells the Doctor that the reason her oxygen supply is so low is that she talks too much. Also, when the Doctor's plan went from 3/8 of a plan to 2/8 of a plan to the letter "p".

6. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    They changed Dr. Who canon didn't they? With the "This is one possible future" implying a multiverse instead of a unified stream with "fixed points".

--Carlos V.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They pretty much had to, because we've already seen the Earth's future on Doctor Who and it's not the result of unchecked global warming. So in order to make their point, they had to change the canon.

Which annoyed the living hell out of me (even though I agree with the point they were making). If you have to make a point while telling a story, fine...but do it within the context of the story you're telling; don't twist and warp the story to fit your message.

8. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I’m not sure how those contradict. It is all in what you consider fixed points. We’ve already seen multiple outcomes for the earth in doctor who over the almost 60 years it has been on (and off) the air.

9. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The only thing that drove me batty during this episode was that Bella reminded me sooooo much of Martha Jones that it was distracting.

tim1724 and ThePennyDropped like this.
  10. cstelter

cstelter Active Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    I was expecting the "Holiday" to be more of an escape room experience, or simulated adventure, rather than an alternate timeline.

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    ...which would have made it a MUCH better episode!

12. kdmorse

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Meh, since the inception of the original series, how many different conflicting 'future devastated earth's have we seen? (Not counting all the conflicting future non-devastated earths). Dozens at least. Landing on earth in the future, having a little adventure, then handwaving it away is old hat by now.

And because of that, there was absolutely no emotional impact associated with the reveal - and that's before it was clumsily hand-waved away as a possible alternate future not to be concerned about.

Each recent showrunner has handled the idea of time travel rules a little differently, and before that, there just weren't any rules at all.

tim1724 likes this.
  13. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    This also bothered me, but not being as familiar with Old Who, I wasn't sure if maybe since it started out as an educational program, the "you can change the future" message was perhaps something that had been done before.

The problem I had, though, wasn't so much that the future could be changed, since if Earth being ravaged by global warming wasn't a fixed point, it could be both changed to that and then on to something else. But it was the fact that there was a "present". The Doctor's urgency did not make sense coming from someone who could travel through time. Her message was just short of breaking the fourth wall, and speaking directly to an audience that lives in a universe where there is an urgent need for action.

Ironically, I felt this episode was both too abstract and heavy-handed when it came to the messaging about global warming. Earth being ravaged by mutant beings is not a concept that most people are going to relate to in any realistic manner that is going to make them responsive to a preachy message at the end. In my opinion, it would have been better for them to have gone to an alien planet that was dealing with some of the near-term impacts of climate change that could happen in the next several decades on Earth if global warming is left unchecked.

ehusen and Rob Helmerichs like this.
  14. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I was greatly bothered by the script hitting us over the head with the giant preachy mallet about people ignoring scientists, while at the same time filling the show with contrived plot points that were utterly contemptuous of basic science (conservation of energy, 2nd law of thermodynamics, that sort of thing).

Tony_T likes this.
  15. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I thought I'd seen Sylas (Lewin Lloyd) recently. He had a big part in His Dark Materials and I also saw him in The Aeronauts. Seems to be on a roll.

16. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    So why did the monster go into the cage? It seemed like it was what the Doctor planned but really it had to just be luck?

And it seemed like they were driving and driving and driving and driving... But they walked pretty quickly back through the tunnels. Did I miss something or was that just TV distance?

tim1724 likes this.
  17. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    The whole episode was filled with that kind of lazy writing. If you pay attention to who is where and when there are tons of inconsistencies in how long it takes people to go from point A to point B. This was a truly awful episode.