Doctor Who - S12 E02 - "Spyfall, Part 2" - 01/05/2020

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kdmorse, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Jan 5, 2020 #1 of 19
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I'd say this season holds a lot more promise than the last one did, it's found its footing, managed to reintroduce connections both to classic who and modern who, figured out how to invoke a genuine sense of actual stakes regarding outcomes, and set up what may (or may not) be a continuing arc of some sorts.

All things that last season completely failed to do at almost every turn. There was probably more engaging plot in these two episodes than all of the last season combined (except maybe Kerblam!). And yah, there were a few cringes, (I'm not overly fond of Bill&Tedd'ing one major plot point, then the 'I just went back in time and disabled your dohicky' resolution to the other - but I can't claim either are unique to this episode). Overall, I liked it. I hope the upward trend continues.

tim1724 likes this.
  2. Jan 6, 2020 #2 of 19
    Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Based on the first two episodes I've got to agree that this season is much better than last. While I liked Whitaker's Doctor last season I thought she spent too much time wondering and reacting to what was going on rather than being figuring things out and proactively solving the problem.

This episode she finally became The Doctor (tm). The visit to Gallifrey made me think of the time war and the war doctor. You could see the emotions playing across her face seeing that.

3. Jan 6, 2020 #3 of 19
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I have a crappy memory. Was this Doctor's TARDIS so ugly last year or was that the Master's TARDIS that she stole? Either way, ew.

The idea that The Master is Wile E. Coyote and the Doctor is the roadrunner popped into my head.

4. Jan 6, 2020 #4 of 19
    Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I don't recall that we ever got that good of a shot of the Tardis interior last season. Since the reboot, the interior has always reflected the look of the Sonic Screwdriver to some extent, but never to this extent AFAIK. but I'll say this about the interior as we saw it in this ep. The large center crystal going up and down had a certain risque quality to it. I know it wasn't intentional, but....

5. Jan 6, 2020 #5 of 19
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The tardis she drove until the last scenes was the Master’s. The scene where she goes to Gallifrey and beyond is hers. The interior of the master’s looks like the house the found him in.

6. Jan 6, 2020 #6 of 19
    stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    We don't know, they never turned on the lights last year.

7. Jan 6, 2020 #7 of 19
    cstelter

cstelter Active Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    I was underwhelmed. It was better than last season, yes, and if you had never seen any who it would have been quite fun I think.

But the master having to live 70+ years on earth to get his tardis back was very captain Jack and not nearly as compelling as when he did it. Would have been very intriguing if he got in touch with himself as his timelines crossed.

The signs on the plane for Ryan was very much like big bang 2 notes for Amy which *also* "Bill & Ted"'d the brochure only after seeing what it was supposed to have looked like (akin to Mozart paradox explored in a different Matt Smith episode).

None of it felt fresh to me.

I liked the new master-- he was like classic who doctor (miniaturizing just for fun), but with a bit of mania like Tenants master. Unsure if he is supposed to be post Missy or pre Missy.

The tone was *very* dark and a bit more like classic who-- two cold blooded assassinations. I did smile a bit at the laser-shoes-- but even that was about as fresh as the greatest american hero (I didn't read the instructions!).

Hoping things continue to improve with some fresher ideas.

tim1724 likes this.
  8. Jan 7, 2020 #8 of 19
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I kept thinking of "The Incredibles" and the "Oh, ho ho! You sly dog! You got me monologuing! " line :).

9. Jan 7, 2020 #9 of 19
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Why did the Doctor only attribute the computer programer as important, and not the person who built the computer?

10. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I don't have an answer, but I wanted to say that I know the original show was sold as "educational," and I feel like they've really ramped up the "science" with this doctor. Seems like in nearly every episode, last season and this season, there's been a scene where the Doctor explains how something works (even if it's fictional), or in this case, who some historical person is. I haven't re-watched any New Who, but I don't remember this happening much except in some of the Classic Who I've watched.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Pft...he was just an ENGINEER!

:D

dianebrat and Tony_T like this.
  12. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...

YES, I agree. Better than last season, but not all that great!
    No, I disagree! I didn't like him at all. While I liked Missy quite a bit I haven't liked any of the new versions of the master since the classic Dr Who era!

Gerry

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I agree. He veered back and forth between wacky/silly and "menacing," but when he was trying to be menacing he really...wasn't.

Missy was a lot of fun...while she had the same basic characteristics as Simm and Dhawan, she dialed it way back and really made it work for me. And she could project a genuine sense of menace that the others couldn't, or at least didn't.

Dawghows likes this.
  14. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

I think both the hero and the coward word is overused, I was disappointed the Doctor did not give a bigger explanation/call out to Nora Inayat-Khan GC who I regard as a genuine hero.

I was disappointed in another way that the Doctor was in France and never said Allons-y.

ThePennyDropped and tim1724 like this.
  15. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I never felt Missy was menacing unless you have a fear of Victorian librarians.

Tony_T and LoadStar like this.
  16. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Having to live for 70 plus years through the 20th and early 21st centuries, Dhawan would have overlapped both Simm and Missy.

17. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    They are time lords. They don’t exist in centuries.

18. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    What do you mean? If he had to travel through time "the normal way" for 70 years because he was stranded without a tardis he would indeed have overlapped his own timeline while prior incarnations were on Earth.

19. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    He may have overlapped some times that they were on earth but he didn’t overlap them. They move in time and space as well. Time lords overlap all the “time” without any significance.