Doctor Who - S11E11 - Resolutions (A.K.A. New Years Special)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Craigbob, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Jan 2, 2019 #1 of 13
    Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...

Advertisements

Finally a Jodie Whittaker Episode where the Doctor is proactive rather then the reactive doctor we've seen all season. Of course it could be explained away as this is the 1st time this incarnation she's encountered a familiar foe, so she kind of knew what to do and how to deal with it.

Don't get me wrong, I like this incarnation of the Doctor, and I think Jodie's doing a great job. I don't think the scripts have been up to snuff for her however with few exceptions (Rosa, Demons of Punjab to name two)

For the most part this was a fun episode that felt like classic/neo-classic Who. I like the idea of the recon scout Dalek, but how would it know the position of the Dalek fleet after over two millennium?

Once again Yaz gets the short shrift in development. I'm sad to see U.N.I.T. go by the wayside, but who knows maybe they'll show up in another incarnation. Is Torchwood still around in this universe. I've lost track.

I really hope they keep the Doctor more proactive. I thinks that's the one thing that's been missing all season.

2. Jan 2, 2019 #2 of 13
    pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    A
    So, Daleks are Goa'uld now?

3. Jan 2, 2019 #3 of 13
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    As of the end of "Children of Earth," Torchwood was disbanded. Gwen and Jack returned in "Miracle Day," but far as I recall, not really as any official Torchwood team and without the Cardiff base of operations.

4. Jan 2, 2019 #4 of 13
    stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Torchwood disbanded, UNIT defunded...it's almost like the Prime Minister is an evil alien or something.

Tony_T likes this.
  5. Jan 2, 2019 #5 of 13
    Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...

Advertisements

I agree. I do like this Dr quite a bit but I also think most of this season's episodes were mediocre at best.
    I also am sad there is no more U.N.I.T.
    Maybe the next season (in 2020 I think!) will have better story lines!

Gerry

6. Jan 2, 2019 #6 of 13
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I like how the Daleks get all emotional and elevate their voices when they detect an enemy and/or go into exterminate mode.

7. Jan 2, 2019 #7 of 13
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It didn’t. It was trying to transmit home. Which doesn’t exist anymore. That’s why the Doctor was happy to take it home. And let it get sucked out the door.

8. Jan 2, 2019 #8 of 13
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I thought the kill it with a Supernova solution was ridiculous and made the episode less enjoyable for me. Especially since ancient people killed it with fire. Actually for the “most dangerous creature in the universe” it seemed pretty easy to beat. Just surround it, disable it’s gun then set it on fire.

It was an okay episode, but not great, especially the ending.

Craigbob likes this.
  9. Jan 3, 2019 #9 of 13
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    My only relatively serious annoyance with this incarnation of Doctor Who is its expansive b-stories involving the companions and even then, as noted up thread, Yaz gets the short end of the stick. It humanizes the characters but I tune in for the Doctor not her supporting cast.

I had to chuckle at how the Dalek was able to build its flight capable and weapons laden shell out of junk from Fred Sanford's back yard. At least it upgraded the plunger to grapplers.

I liked UNIT because of the Brigadier way back in the day but UNIT was mostly ineffective. Kinda like the Science Patrol on Ultra Man.

I had to look it up to make sure but the UNIT that I first saw on Doctor Who was the United Nations Intelligence Task force. Now it's the Unified Intelligence Task force. Apparently, I wasn't paying attention in 2008.
    UNIT - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  10. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    But the ancient people didn’t kill it, did they?

11. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    They did, it just got better. ;)

dianebrat likes this.
  12. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It saw Miracle Max?

morac likes this.
  13. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

All politics is local, this was a local joke with a purpose.

U.N.I.T. is no longer funded by the UK's major international partners because of BREXIT - the vote to leave the European Union. (you can be 100% sure that Chris Chibnall, the Doctor and me think that BREXIT is a very bad idea)

In real life local politics Remainers are fighting back, we are not dead yet, there is a very small possibility that BREXIT will not happen - in which case U.N.I.T will be resurrected :)