Doctor Who - Night Terrors - 9/3/2011 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jstkiddn, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1 of 40
    Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    No thread yet?

Not sure if it was just me, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that was up there with "Blink" on the creepy factor.

My 11 year old daughter has NEVER been scared after watching Doctor Who....and she wanted to sleep in my bed last night. And I have to admit, that since hubby is out of town, I was glad to have her there myself. LOL!!

We were both a couple of 'fraidy cats!

Guess it didn't help that I was going around singing the little song about "Tick tock goes the clock....even for The Doctor".

2. Sep 4, 2011 #2 of 40
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Didn't do much for me.

With all that's going on, I can see where they might want to take a break and have a filler episode. But with all that's going on, if they're going to have a filler episode it would have to be a killer filler to distract me from all that's going on. And I'm sorry, but this was no Blink!

The kid was good, though. He gave great terror.

3. Sep 4, 2011 #3 of 40
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not *quite* up there with Blink, but definitely a classic creep-out Doctor Who along the same lines. I think the biggest difference was that in Blink, you had one person (Sally Sparrow) you were following for the whole episode, making the creep-out in that episode so much more personal. On the other hand, the inspiration for this episode is more genuine; who in their life wasn't that kid, afraid of the monsters that live in the dark?

4. Sep 4, 2011 #4 of 40
    Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    My daughter wanted to know what was up with the cupboard theme.

She kept saying that Hitler was going to be in there. LOL!!

5. Sep 4, 2011 #5 of 40
    tgrim1

tgrim1 New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Iowa
    Filler, yet still leading us along the "doctor's death" arc. The whole tick-tock song and the screenshot at the end.
    I was watching on my laptop with earbuds, my 3yo daughter sitting on my lap didnt like the "monsters" one bit.

6. Sep 4, 2011 #6 of 40
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    A sign of just how filler-y it is... this was shot as 6x04, and was bumped for whatever reason to the second half of the season.

7. Sep 4, 2011 #7 of 40
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm guessing the "wrap-around" scenes in the TARDIS were filmed new to adjust it for continuity.

8. Sep 4, 2011 #8 of 40
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    That makes a WHOLE lot more sense to me. The biggest issue I had is that it seemed "off" for Rory and Amy and the Doctor to be hanging around in the TARDIS with coffee cups all leisurely Sundaylike, as they were at the beginning of the episode, and to be leisurely choosing a new destination, as they were at the end, with all that's been happening.

9. Sep 4, 2011 #9 of 40
    pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    If it had been put out in the originally intended order putting the monster Hitler in the cupboard would have worked better.

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    A nice, scary filler episode.

11. tgrim1

tgrim1 New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Iowa
    Makes sense. I'll bet the tick tock song and the doctors death-date screenshot at the end were added later, they really had nothing to do with the show.

12. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I have to say, I didn't think it possible to make a worse Doctor Who episode than Fear Her (which this episode felt derivative of), but Mark Gatiss outdid himself in his effort this time. ;)

I really disliked this one. It was painfully slow moving, and a huge letdown after last week's terrific return.

13. Timbeau

Timbeau Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    VT
    After watching about 80% of this episode and having nothing really happen, I had a horrible thought -- "This can't be a two-parter can it?"

I agree with ThePennyDropped, this was painfully slow moving.

14. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I don't even remotely know how anyone could compare this crap to Blink.
    IMO, there was nothing at all creepy about the dolls, they were just sad and pathetic 3rd grade paper maché art projects.

15. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Sure, a classic creep-out Doctor Who, where if you were eight years old, you'd want to hide behind the couch. But maybe not so creepy for some of us grown-ups -- not compared to Blink or The Empty Child.

I think the comparison to Fear Her is apt.

After all, if this episode were to be truly creepy for grown-ups (at least childless grown-ups), it would need to have some of the vibe of the classic Twilight Zone episode
    "It's a Good Life" (story by Jerome Bixby)
    where the actions of a young child can affect the entire community.

16. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    This belonged in the first season of the Matt Smith era.

phox

17. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I loved Matt Smith from day 1 as the doctor. But not all the episodes. So far this new season they seem to have really found their stride - hope it keeps up.

18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Well it was initially slotted and filmed to be 6x04 so it was initially early S2 for Matt

19. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I liked the actor who played George's father's work in Outcasts. That show got killed by the critics but I've seen far worst shows and liked it a lot by the time it ended.

20. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    I'd be scared too if my dad was the entity dragging good cops into hell. (Ashes To Ashes, Jim Keats)

As soon as I saw Amy turned into the doll, it was obvious that this was an 'everybody lives' episode.