Doctor Who - "Let's Kill Hitler" - 8/27 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by USAFSSO, Aug 27, 2011.

1. USAFSSO

USAFSSO Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Las Cruces, NM
    Season Pt 2 kicked off :up::up::up:

Some more Spacy Waycy stuf, but overall good.

So we see a big battle with the Silence is coming. I guess seeing how the Doctor orchestrated a genocide of another race, the few survivors will be out on the hunt for him.

Is "killing" the Doctor the reason she is in jail? She ends up with a life sentence instead of death for saving the Doctor.

Glad it's back.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've got to wait until tomoroow for this to show up in HD on Amazon VOD. If FiOS would get BBCA in HD I wouldn't need to get it from Amazon.

3. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    OK, the whole Hitler thing was a tune-in gimmick. They just left him in the cupboard and did their own thing.

"I've been hiding for hours!"
    "I guess we haven't found you yet."

"Name one girl you've ever shown interest in?"
    *kicked puppy dog face *

And I guess that means they never find Melody/River.

--Carlos V.

4. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    I guess the line about "maybe I'll just shave off a few years now and then" is to explain why River looks older now than when she was in the Library.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yes, that made me laugh out loud. Which puzzled the friend I was watching it with. So I explained it. At great length. Finally, he said, "Time travel makes my head hurt. To which I replied, "Especially if it's done right." :D

6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Can someone explain Mels to me? She somehow went back in time to be Amy's best friend as they were growing up? I have to watch this again. I'm confused. I might have to find an alternate source since Comcast briefly broke into the BBCA airing twice to issue storm warnings even though every local station was doing weather 24/7.

7. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Mels == Melody Pond

8. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002
    Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey:

Amy and Rory's grown up biological daughter was the person who nudged Amy and Rory into having their first date.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's amusing that Melody Pond was named after Amy's childhood friend Melody, who is Melody Pond; and that River Song apparently got her name when the Doctor told Melody Pond about River Song, whom he already knew. So both aspects of Melody/River were named after themselves.

Moffat really, really likes playing with the time travel aspect of the show, and exploring its logical consequences. I approve.

10. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    This was a fun episode. I couldn't get Woody Allen's "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex" out of my mind, though, with the miniaturized future guys piloting around the human-sized body. I kept expecting a Burt Reynolds cameo.

I'm left with the following questions:

1. Why (and how) was the Doctor's ability to regenerate "disabled"? Was this because his death is a fixed point in time (April 2011) and so he can't regenerate before then? That kind of hurts my theory that the Doctor that died on the shore in April 2011 was actually the ganger doctor.

2. So regenerations are fungible? A timelord can give multiple regenerations to another timelord, and they can then be used to heal rather than to regenerate into a new form? I didn't watch pre-2005 Doctor Who, but I seem to recall that the Master got (or stole?) a second set of regenerations, and that regenerations are actually doled out and regulated on Gallifrey, so maybe this is the case?

3. Is River's ability to "shave off a few years now and then" something new Moffat has created, or have other timelords been able to do this? Regardless, I like it.

4. We know that the young girl at the end of "Day of the Moon," who regenerated in the alleyway, was the astronaut girl, right? And we also know that that was River? I'm just trying to get the Melody/astronaut girl/Mels/River timeline sorted out in my head.... Does it go like this:

Rory and Amy have Melody. Baby Melody gets taken by the Silence and brainwashed to become a Doctor-killer. Baby Melody grows up a few years (or maybe regenerates) and becomes the astronaut girl. The astronaut girl regenerates into young Mels, who tracks down young Amy and Rory and grows up with them. Young Mels matures into delinquent Mels, who is responsible for getting Rory and Amy together and who finally gets to meet the Doctor after years of waiting for him. Delinquent Mels learns how to pilot the TARDIS from the TARDIS itself, which explains River Song's facility with piloting it. Delinquent Mels gets shot by Hitler and regenerates into River Song, which will be her last regeneration because she gave all the others to the Doctor.

Is that it? Am I at least close?

11. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003

That made my head hurt. ;);)

That REALLY made my head hurt!! LOL!

12. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    It sounds right to me. But what do I know?

--Debbie

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Don't forget what you learned from Season 7, next year.

(Timey-wimey head-explodey...)

14. lachacg

lachacg Go Giants!

Jan 11, 2003
    NJ
    In the old series, the Master was promised more regenerations by the High Council if I remember correctly for doing something. Also, when Romana 1 regenerated into Romana 2, she had total control of what she ended up looking like.

So to answer your question, I think regeneration don't have a particular strong set of rules associated with them. It changes when the plot needs them to change.

15. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    It could also be a property of the poison Melody/Mels/River chose that prevents a timelord's biological abiliity to regenerate.

16. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I was expecting an Eddie Murphy cameo. :)

(for Stevenj's benefit: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765476/ ;))

I don't think Mels ever piloted the TARDIS. River piloted the TARDIS to rescue Amy and Rory from the antibodies. She was able to do so because the TARDIS taught her how ("I learned from the best" :)) right before she did it.

17. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    That's the scene I meant; I just misremembered it as a line spoken by Mels rather than River.

18. pteronaut

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    We may have recognized the body as River Song, but the owner of the body was Mels (and only knew herself to be) until Amy had the Tesselator change into the form that it knew to be River.

19. pteronaut

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
  20. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002
    I thought you wrote the episode :)

Penny in the air.

The penny drops.