Doctor Who: Last Christmas - 12/25/2014 - Spoilers (obviously)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TonyTheTiger, Dec 25, 2014.

1. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Hmmm, Alien meets Inception meets total silliness and butts heads with Nick Frost.

Cheap production values, too.

Can you tell I wasn't impressed?

2. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I loved it. Thought it was fantastic and the best of a great season.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I liked it too. I liked the silliness for its own sake, and I like that it had an in-story explanation.

And I'm glad that they were faking us out with Clara leaving at the end of the regular season. I think there were flashes of good chemistry between them, and hopefully the second season of Doctor Scot will have a better sense of what they have to work with than the first, which frankly floundered a lot.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm ambivalent.

On the good side:
    - I thought they rescued the ostensibly ludicrous story concept of "the Doctor meets Santa" and actually crafted a fairly reasonable in-story explanation.
    - I thought that for the first time in a long time, the Doctor and Clara had decent chemistry together.

On the bad side:
    - I thought pacing was uneven. There were definitely moments that seemed to exist only to pad out the episode length.
    - As one specific example... maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I didn't see a need for the entire "Clara is old" segment at all. It seemed to be just an excuse to get Jenna in some really, really bad aging makeup.
    - I didn't like that the episode seemed to crib some ideas from other sources, like Inception and Alien. (Granted, the latter could be considered an homage, since they made reference to it in story.)
    - I thought there was far too abrupt a 'reset button' for Clara, going from being still heartbroken over Danny, to being eager to jump right back into the TARDIS and go traveling with the Doctor at the end. It didn't seem a natural evolution of her feelings at all.

5. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    It was mostly predictable silliness - but it was still fun, and I enjoyed it.

I think when it comes right down to it, we've all seen too much sci-fi to have not 'seen that before'. I've not seen Inception, but it immediately reminded me of two episodes of Farscape and other similar sequences from other shows/movies - especially as soon as the first person could not explain their mission. And the headcrabs were right out of Half-Life, even if they were really facehuggers from Alien. And never being sure when you've truly waking up, requiring multiple levels of waking up, (requires those extra scenes), all been done beforec...

For a Christmas episode, it's all forgivable... Sure, it wasn't The Day of the Doctor, but it was still enjoyable.

6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought it was very enjoyable and very well done. I could always nit pick here and there but over all, I liked this Christmas episode a lot.

I wish they could add Shona as a companion next season. She'd be fun.

When the Doctor yelled "Yippee ki yay" my inner John McClane supplied the next word.

I watched it early this morning with headphones on through my AV receiver so as not to disturb others. The background music and sounds are very loud compared to the foreground dialogue, drowning it out at times. Really annoying. I'll try watching it later using the tv's speakers to see if it's the same.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I suspect it was just a slap-in-the-face to the Daily Mirror's annual "rumors" that The Doctor/The Companion would be leaving after the current season (which they apparently do routinely so that when somebody actually DOES leave they can claim to have known about it before anybody else). For some reason, the DM was a lot more insistent this year about Clara. Perhaps because the BBC "let" them find out about that scene?

8. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    What a weird perspective :confused: Annual rumor ? This story was pretty strong across the board and never denied plus the Mirror was the first to report she was staying.

9. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    Now that Clara has appeared to leave by choice a couple of times they can't really go to that well again. This tends to suggest a more traumatic or less 'by choice' departure.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I agree!

Scott

11. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    I thought it was OK and I even read the Entertainment Weekly recap to make sure I didn't miss anything.

So these face hugging Dream Crabs attached themselves to some random people, including Clara, and everything else was part of a dream within a dream until they ultimately really wake up. OK, fine. But what remains unanswered is where did these things come from in the first place and what is being done to stop them. It seems like the answer is NOTHING. But that is definitely out of character for Dr Who who has always done everything he can to save mankind. Yet here, other than saving some people and Clara, he has left a potentially devastating parasite remain loose on the Earth. That kind of left me not liking this story overall.

Comments?

Gerry

12. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    Maybe the facehuggers play a part in a longer story arc next season? Maybe The Doctor has yet to have his big battle with them.

13. DVC California

DVC California Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Lol, yes and Malcolm Tucker would work too!

14. Linnemir

Linnemir Member

Apr 7, 2009
    He is rapidly taking Pertwee's place as my overall favorite! I just wish they would give him better scripts to work with.

And I had a 'sniffle' moment at one point when he looked at Clara with such love and caring, but not a bit of romance! It rather reminded me of Pertwee and Jo, sentimentalist that I am!

15. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe Travels for Food

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    probably my favorite episode of the season

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    After watching this last night, I decided that Capaldi has pushed Tom Baker out of the #1 slot despite the many awful scripts he's been given so far.

17. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    This must be your first experience with Doctor Who.

18. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    My brain cannot wrap itself around time travel stories. So if he didn't get back to dig her out of the cocoon for 62 years, when did she live the life she talked about? Or was that all the dream? (I know that was still dream, but I mean when he thought he really had waited 62 years)

And if he had waited 62 years, could he then go back 40 years and do it then, or is that impossible since she didn't remember it happening?

And why could he not tell that she was hideously old? Or was that just the "you'll always be beautiful to me" thing that you men try to tell? ;)

19. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    I enjoyed it quite a bit. Capaldi is growing on me (Smith being my favorite).

20. Jagman_sl

Jagman_sl New Member

Mar 14, 2001
    Jacksonville...
    The Doctor stated that everybody would be returned to their proper place and time, and then explained something about how the dream was timeless and could cross the years. So the assumption was that she lived that long life before the thing ever attacked her.

Of course, that may also have been completely undone by showing us that they were both still dreaming anyway, so who knows what really happened?

As for not being able to tell she was old, I think it was a combination of him wanting to be kind to his old friend, but also his inability to see her as more than just a companion. There were several instances this season where he was clearly oblivious to how Clara looked.